Traded Sam Docherty (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade

Melbourne traded Mitch Clark for selection No.12 in the National Draft.

Pick 12 in the 2011 National Draft

docherty.jpg

facebook

Summary:

* hip surgery (#74)
* 2012 review (#151)

Merrett-Murray Medal Votes:

Draft Tracker

Former club: Gippsland Power/Phillip Island
DOB: 17/10/1993
Height: 185cm
Weight: 83kg
Position: Defender

A rebounding defender who reads the play extremely well and uses the ball efficiently, especially by foot. He represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, winning best on ground honours against WA in one of the two matches he played. At TAC Cup level he averaged 22.1 disposals at 71.8 per cent efficiency, showing ability to play inside and outside.

docherty9.jpg

What a get! Will get great to see him racking up the rebounds and using it effectively.Hopefully he's given some midfield time in the nab cup.

Pick me series

docherty.jpg

Height: 183cm
Weight: 85kgs
Position: Rebounding defender
Predicted draft range: First or second round
Plays like: Jed Adcock

Noted for his dashes out of defence and good kicking. From Phillip Island.

[YOUTUBE]WrIW06T7yhQ[/YOUTUBE]

Sam Docherty 's running a straight line to the top
  • by: Jay Clark
  • October 30, 2011 12:00AM
SAM Docherty is not one to stick to the safe options charging from defence.
The Gippsland Power defender is armed with arguably the most potent right-foot kick in this year's draft pool.
The man who models his game on Carlton's Chris Yarran has the power and precision in his right leg to unpick a forward press.
But it's not just the technique that makes Docherty, who has stormed up the under-age rankings, a tantalising first-round draft pick next month.
It's his aggressive mindset, and a coolness under pressure, that helps enable him to hit even the most cramped targets with a 60m pass, bursting from the back line.

docherty.jpg

Jason Phelan (afl.com.au)

15. Richmond - Sam Docherty
Height: 185cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 17/10/93
Club: Gippsland Power
Draft range: 12-20
The Tigers are looking for an injection of class coming out of the back half and they need look no further than Docherty. His poise, decision-making and disposal by foot under pressure had him in the mix for the Lions and Greater Western Sydney higher up the order, but Richmond will happily take him off the board here. Docherty overcame the disappointment of not making the initial Vic Country squad to force his way back into the team late in the carnival. He wasn't named in the team booklet for the match against WA at Skilled Stadium, and his many possessions were accredited to another player, but he immediately caught the eye with his creativity and dash from defence.

Emma Quayle

9. Sam Docherty

(Gippsland Power, 18, 185cm, 83kg)

If you make smart decisions and can kick, you're a chance. Docherty does that, and has a bit of pace to go with it. He won't be able to get started for a while - he needs minor hip surgery - but I could see him taking kick-in duties for an AFL club next year. It took him until the middle of the year to force people to take notice of him but from there he kept nailing long targets, and was always aware of what was going on around him.

Who will pick him? The Lions met him last week, and he'll appeal to Richmond, the Western Bulldogs and particularly North Melbourne if he gets past them.

Quigley

Pick 13 - GWS

Sam Docherty
DOB 17/10/93 Ht 185 Wt 83

Initially I was surprised when EQ was talking about Docherty being one of the top 15 guys in this draft but as I went back and looked at him some more I came to appreciate that she might well be correct. Docherty’s game seems ideal for modern AFL systems and he would be very valuable piece at half back for a new young team. He was only selected for the last two games at the Champs for Vic Country and he made people sit up and take notice with a BOG performance against WA. After a pretty ordinary start to the year Docherty was a very strong performer all the way home until a hip injury tailed him off. The hip injury prevented him testing at the Combine which is a shame as I would have liked to have seen what numbers he would put up.

Docherty is an offensive HBFer. He has excellent run and carry skills and can either run through zones or kick over them. Going forward he is very heads up and will usually look to go long down the field sometimes to the exclusion of better intermediate options. Still he has the skill to exercise these long kicks well and he hits his targets. He is a right footer but has nice penetration and accuracy off either foot. He might be the best kick off his non-preferred of anyone in this draft. His kicking holds together under pressure and he has great ability to find the target with players closing him down quickly. He is a regularly taker of kick-ins because of his ability to find the target.

Defensively his strength is not in a close checking role and in fact I would say he is not very good in that role and would certainly be taken advantage of at AFL level were he to be asked to play such. He is much better in a loose read and react role which allows him to lay off and attack any ball coming into his area. He reads the ball coming in well and makes good, quick decisions about how to influence the play. He knows when to attack the ball himself, when to clear the way for his own man or when to find a player. He is a team player at the back and works well with those around him.

If the ball finds its way to an opposition player Docherty has good closing speed and works hard to shut down the threat. He is not a big tackler and some work will need to be done on his technique. Another thing he will need to work on is his engine and I am sure the AFL small forwards will work him up and back a lot to take the sting out of his attack. He has the body shape of an endurance athlete but he does not have the engine atm and there will be plenty of hard work ahead for him. He is also not particularly strong overhead but he does get up reasonably well and although he doesn’t often clunk them he does control the ball to ground well and follows quickly.

He has nice clean hands with the ball on the ground and is an exponent of the long hand ball which you don’t often see at junior level. With the ball in hand he shows really good dash and he will back himself to beat players coming out of defense. He moves through contested situations nicely often seemingly to just slide through.

Overall I would rate Docherty as the best HBF option available this year ahead of Buntine. He has superior pace and long kicking ability and is his equal in most other respects. He is probably giving a bit away to Buntine defensively but I think he will make that up with some more experience. I think he is a nice prospect who should become a good AFL player.

Snoop Dog

# 15 Richmond – Sam Docherty (Gippsland / 183 / 80 / 93)

They need class for mine and hence look no further than one of our local boys who has been a big riser this year. Was rated at the start of the year at GP but not really anywhere else. Took off mid year and had a good few weeks leading into the carnival before getting a game during Champs off the back of some injuries. Certainly impressed and as a result being thought of as a RD 1. Super quick and very composed down back. Arguably the best user of the ball in this draft by foot and will appeal because of his decision making and pace out of defence. These HB flankers are pretty important these days and hence why I am tending to think he might go around here. I just wonder whether come draft day he isn’t in the top 12...in fact i wonder whether and Greene shouldn’t be switched!
AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw ...ish

Chris25

#22 Carlton - Sam Docherty (183cm defender - Gippsland)

A little overrated for mine, but should be around the late first round anyway. Not originally a part of the Vic Country squad, Docherty played the final two games and was one of the best players on both occasions. He provided plenty of run off half back, although I'd like to see him improve his kicking and decision making a tad. Can get under the ball and often seems to kick to contests. His good form has continued over into his TAC Cup games, and a strong finish to the season could see him push up into the first round. AFL Comparison: Jed Adcock.

Knightmare

#12 Brisbane - Sam Docherty (VIC - Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 17/10/1993
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Style: Heath Shaw
Player comparison:
Range: 10-25
Profile: Really impressive when he got injected into the champs. Wasn’t part of the original Vic Country side. Back flanker who provides serious dash from defence and looks like a real weapon in the making with that explosive speed of his. Kicking is exceptional and under pressure looks very composed which is a great sign and can use either foot well. Man on man is solid and is an absolute rebounding machine from defence. Allot to like and is a 1st round talent.

Herald Sun SuperFooty

18. North Melbourne

Sam Docherty (185cm, Gippsland Power)
Dream result for Roos. An elite kick who can nail long-range target and split open presses. Bootsma in the mix.

Hot prospects: Sam Docherty
By Jason Phelan
7:00 AM Sat 29 Oct, 2011

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Docherty picked up a hip injury late in the season playing for Gippsland and was unable to test at the combine.Jason Phelan says: Docherty missed out on the initial Vic Country squad, but the creative half-back flanker overcame that disappointment to force his way back in with a string of excellent performances for the Power. He made the most of his opportunity when he was brought in for the fourth game of the carnival with an eye-catching display across half-back against WA at Skilled Stadium. He often handled the kick-ins for Gippsland, thanks to his ability to find a target, and his kicking under pressure is a feature of his game. He's strong overhead and knows when to go at the ball or throw a block to create space for a teammate.

docherty.jpg

Another Gippy Power lad to the lions - we breed them well in this part of the country! From Golby region - maybe they will be living together and fighting for the same spot next year - could be healthy competition!

Meet the draftees
7:54 PM Thu 24 Nov, 2011

"I love to run and carry the footy and use my skills and decision-making to create plays for the team. I also like to read the ball off the opposition to intercept play."

“I guess my right foot is my main weas a weapoapon. I prefer to kick on my right foot, but I can use my left as well."

"I played two years of seniors and have learned to take on the older blokes. I’ve been brought up around footy, so game smarts have never been a problem. I can usually hit the right targets when needed."

"At the start of the year I didn’t even think about being drafted, but as the season’s progressed it has become more real."

docherty14.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rob Kerr

Kerr says: "We had him at 12. That was about where we rated him. The mid-sized defender is an area we wanted to boost and Sam has got very good kicking skills. I've spoken to him a few times and he seems a quality kid."

He says he can use his left foot when pressed, going by the footage 10 seconds into the second clip where he uses that left, his right must be something pretty good then!

Contested Footy

Sam Docherty is the modern day half back flanker, able to shut out his man due to a superior read of the play but also able to then use his pace and foot skills to construct attacks the other way.

When you read the quick notes and the above sentence it’s easy to believe Docherty will get selected in the first 10 picks of the draft but he probably won’t. Docherty strikes as a little bit overrated, a gun at his current level definitely but there are question marks about his ability to play any other role in the team than the half back flank role- hardly a position in demand.

Despite being a little overrated it is likely Docherty is the best half back flanker in this draft and has all the tools to make it at AFL level. He is enjoyable to watch and most clubs will be happy to have him in exchange for a draft pick in the 15-30 range.

Q&A .....

What's been the toughest or most challenging part of this year for you?
My injury at the end of the year. It was really disappointing to miss out on the final game, especially because my injury lingered on to draft camp as well and I wasn't able to do the testing.

What's been the highlight?
Playing my first game for Vic Country as I wasn't in the initial squad.

What appeals to you most about playing AFL footy?
It has always been a dream growing up. I really want to play at the highest level. To have my job as playing football as well would be amazing.

Who's played the biggest part in helping you get to this point in your career?
Definitely my dad. Growing up, he taught me how to play, came to all my games and helped me review things throughout this year with Gippsland. Obviously being a country boy, it's hard for mum and dad with driving and travel, but it has become second nature to them now and I owe them a lot for that.

docherty16.jpg

Is listed everywhere as a HBF but is only 2 cms taller than McGrath...could he be a smokey for the vacant BP position, seems to have the required pace and footskills for the role.

Fanfooty

He's got a great pair of legs on him which can make him a lethal rebounder for his team. He uses his speed to his advantage and provided great rebounding presence out of the backline. Not only is his rebounding great, but he reminds of of Hurn as a quarterback. His kicking is up there for the draft which makes him lethal in the backline. He's very calm and collected under pressure and can play shut down roles on his opponents very well, which is why I like him as a potential AFL player. He's not a very contested marker type player but he'll rack up the cheap marks like most defenders would, buying their time for their next attack.

Docherty plays for the Gippsland Power this season and he's beenvery solid and consistent for them. His Stats a very precise player by hand or foot, which is very nice for Supercoach. As he's he rebounder, he'll get alot of the ball from teammates as they know he will use the ball well which means he can rack up good numbers. He's not one to give too many free kicks away but uses his pace to get tackles.

docherty1.jpg

ourfooty

Only came on late in the season, another one of the draft super boots and is almost interchangeable with Brad Mckenzie, a very smart mover around packs and a fantastic kick in all aspects, penetration, weighting and decision making. He only recently starting jumping up the calculations so his upside is unknown. He could just as easily be in GWS swag of picks or be one of the talented ones that slide to the early 2nd round because of GWS need to balance their list, either way he’ll play early and frequently for anyone next year and will solve the “kick out” problem for 10 years.

docherty1.jpg

Inside Football
Brett Anderson

10. GWS Giants – Sam Docherty (Gippsland Power)
If Docherty had some exposed form in the midfield he could well have been gone by pick No.5. As a rebounding defender, he is as good as they get. Plays with great speed and competitiveness and, most important of all, is an elite decision maker and kick. Will be a star – love him.

Terry Wallace

Meanwhile, Terry Wallace says Sam Docherty from Phillip Island is another first round chance.

"I thought the one that was fairly unknown at the start of the year who's really had an outstanding season and really pushed himself forward is Sam Docherty. During the national championships I thought that he really showed that he could cut it at the elite levels.

Gippsland Power Awards

DANNY Butcher's late season surge caught the attention of Gippsland supporters and team officials alike, winning the Power's best-and-fairest on Saturday night. The blonde-dreadlocked Butcher tallied 60 votes, including back-to-back Best on Ground performances in the finals, to win the award ahead of Shaun Marusic and Sam Docherty.

Most Improved: Josh Tynan.

Coaches Award: Clay Smith.

Leading Goal Kicker: Tim Membrey.

Laurie Plunket Best First Year: Ryley Hall.

Most Disciplined: Sam Docherty.

Trainers Award: Sam Docherty.

Most Professional: Shaun Wyatt.

TAC Cup Coaches Award: Shaun Marusic.

Best and Fairest (and Best in Finals): Danny Butcher.

docherty5.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back