Retired Sam Fisher

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2009            2008            2007       
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
DEF 25 FISHER, Sam    27    120    $373,300 $490,900 24    88.7    92.8    25    93.5    101.3    18    85.6    99.5

0,,6703981,00.jpg

SAM FISHER

Born: 10 July, 1982
Recruited from: West Adelaide Football Club (SANFL)
Draft history: 2003 NAB AFL Draft 4th round selection (St Kilda) No. 55 overall.
Number: 25
Height: 192cm
Weight: 92kg
Debut: 2004, Round 7 (May 8th) vs. Fremantle, Subiaco Oval.
Goals: 13
Nickname: Chips

AFL Awards: All-Australian 2008; International Rules Series 2006; pre-season premiership side 2008

Club Awards: best and fairest 2011, 2008; 2nd best and fairest 2007; 3rd best and fairest 2006

Brownlow Votes: 5

Signed Until: End of 2012
(http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=76479)

673104-sam-fisher.jpg

Fisher_handball246x316b.jpg

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/94216/default.aspx

“Originally I moved from Barmera (country SA) to Adelaide to pursue my golf career. However under the circumstances, I think I might have got a little bit burnt out with the golf. The passion started to fall away slightly.”

“BJ and I have a good competition, although he’s probably got me lately as he plays a bit more than me. But we both sit on a handicap of around 2.”

With regards to playing up forward, Fisher said; “The more I do it, the more comfortable I will get with it. If I am able to get a few more opportunities in the forward line then I’m sure I’ll grow into it more.”

Reflecting on Monday night’s match against Carlton, Fisher said; “It was the first time in a long time that our effort dropped away in a match. We’ve been giving extreme effort for the past 18months, and even in the games we had lost, we were still in the game for the most part.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/108569/default.aspx

Fisher : A growing leader

Throughout the NAB Cup, the All-Australian defender outlined that he has been working alongside young up and coming defenders Tommy Walsh and Tom Simpkin.

“We have a young backline and I’m just trying to take more of a leadership role in organising and directing down there. I think that’s one part of my game that can really improve,” Fisher said.

Mister E

Team Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Re: 2011 Player Reviews

Sam Fisher

101011_fisher_ICarticle.jpg

Fisher was once again at the fore of the Saints defence, causing headaches for opposition coaches with his expert knowledge of when to leave his man and play 'loose'. Although the Saints defence was not as miserly as in previous years, Sam tried his best to make sure he stopped the opposition and set up play.

After a spectacular end to season 2010, where Fisher was a norm smith contender in the drawn Grand Final. It was hoped that his form would continue. Fisher did just that, he along with Nick Dal Santo were the most consistent players for the Saints, often being the 'General' in St kilda's back half.

Mid way through the season, former coach Ross Lyon struggled to find a good mix of ball winners in the middle, and so chose to play Fisher in an unusual position in the Centre. Fisher Did well, but it was clear that he was to valuable as a rebounding defender to be playing in the middle.

Chips, as he is commonly referred to did not have a single outstanding performance, but was very consistent. Playing every game including the elimination final, and notching up 18 games with over 20 disposals.

Following the disappointing loss to Sydney in the elimination final. St Kilda fans
tried to decide whether Fisher or Dal Santo would win the Trevor Barker medal, as the Saints Best and Fairest. Dal Santo was considered the clear front runner, following his 2nd place finish in the Brownlow. Fisher though was, internally voted the Best player in season 2011, Narrowly beating Nick Dal Santo (554) by 3 Points finishing on 557 points.

Stats

Games: 23
Goals: 2
Disposals (Avg): 486 (21.1)
BnF Votes: 557 (1st)

The ever reliable Fisher, will be hoping that his team mates lift to the heights that they previously reached. He will no doubt be the anchor in St Kilda's defence and will be a key to the success of Saints in 2012. It is not yet Known what the St kilda defence will look like, after the Departure of Full back Zac Dawson. Fisher may be required to play a more defensive game, but this would be the last option for new coach Scott Watters, who will be hoping to take advantage of Fisher's great experience and offensive abilities

FISHER, Sam\
AFL Matches: 15
AFL Goals: 1
AFL Kicks Per Match: 11.9
AFL Hand-passes Per Match: 5.8
AFL Marks Per Match: 6.3 (3rd at St Kilda)
AFL Tackles Per Match: 1.9
AFL Rebound 50s Per Match: 3.1 (3rd at Saints with 5 games minimum)

Sam Fisher’s season was badly effected by a change of roles. The Saints key defender predicament forced Fisher out of his usual position as a rebounding, marking defender into a lock-down centre half-back. This was reflected in his statistics – his disposal and marks numbers were much lower than his previous years – however Fisher was still a vital part of the St Kilda back 6. As a more defensive backman, ‘Chips’ struggled to rack up high possession numbers. This was the first season since 2005 that Sam did not accumulate 100 marks in the Premiership Season. Furthermore, it was the first time since 2004 that Fisher had not completed 50 ‘rebound 50s’ in the year, the same could be said for his disposals, hand passes and kicks tally. Despite these short-comings in the statistical side, Fisher was still extremely highly valued by St Kilda, he was brilliant in stopping many opposition forwards.

2012 was a disappointment for Sam Fisher. The elite defender struggled to shape games with his rebound off half-back due to his different job in the Saints line-up. Fisher will look to free up more in 2013, he could form a brilliant partnership with Sean Dempster if Sam is allowed to play his natural role. Fisher will look to bounce back to his 2011 form, when he won the Best and Fairest.

Season Rating: 6.5/10

I cocked up, and wrote a review on Sammy Fish (when I was meant to do Monty! :oops:).

I'm not wasting it (sorry Rahul).

Sam Fisher #25

After winning the 2011 B&F (his second win, and 6th top 10 finish in a row) and being nominated for Cleo’s bachelor of the year, life was good for Sammy Fish (although not according to his Cleo mugshot!).

Cleo-Bach-363.jpg

Speculation was rife that GWS were looking to poach him, but Sammy Fish declared he wanted to be able to repay the Saints and stay a one-club player.

He duly re-signed until 2014, and then promptly managed to get a bad hamstring injury in Round 6 - keeping him out for 5 games.

He played some different roles this year, which he spoke about:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ho...-north-melbourne/story-fnelctok-1226437098449
“Fisher has taken on and beaten Goodes and Brown in close checking duels (and) ... has relished the role change. Sometimes you end up in the plus-one or loose man in defence, and you might get 20 or 25 possessions, but it is hard to read how you have gone in those games. The thing about playing on guys such as Adam Goodes and Jonathan Brown is that you sort of know when you are coming off the ground whether you have done your job."

Despite only playing 15 games, Fisher again finished in the top 10 of the B&F - a remarkable effort.

He averaged 17.6 possessions and 6.3 marks (with a very high kick to handball ratio).

What can’t the man do??? Possibly sing:
http://t.co/15jOLcNz

For those interested, he also gave an extensive interview in April:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/the-unassuming-king-fisher/story-e6frexx0-1226326272947

Looking forward to him bringing up a fantastic 200 games for the club in 2013 (currently on 182).

koschitzke_main-420x0.jpg
SamFisher%28c%29.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Posted this in a thread on the MB about who you would want to play for you in a grand final if you could pick any 22 from any club:

This thread is severely lacking in Sam Fisher. His extremely low profile does him no favours in this regard, but his performance in finals over the years, either at CHB, or on a back flank, has generally been sensational for us. His performances against Collingwood in finals in particular have been phenomenal. He'd possibly be my first picked to play in a backline for a final.

Was clearly our 3rd best in the drawn GF in 2010, behind Goddard and Hayes, IMO, then had 16 possies the following week in the replay, but did his hammy before half time (I don't think he played any of the 2nd half- if he did he did it with a bung hammy). Was relatively quiet in the 2009 GF against Geelong, but that was his only other final where he got under 19 possies, an amazing effort for someone who played many of those games in a key position.

Here is his finals record over the years, starting all the way back in 2005, his first full season at senior level:

QF v Adelaide- 18 kicks, 8 marks, 22 disposals

EF v Melb- 19 disposals, 6 marks

QF v Geelong- 31 disposals, 8 marks
SF v Collingwood- 20 kicks, 17 marks, 27 disposals
PF v Hawthorn- 17 kicks, 11 marks, 22 disposals

QF v Collingwood- 25 kicks, 16 marks, 42 disposals
PF v Western Bulldogs- 22 kicks, 7 marks, 30 disposals
GF v Geelong- 15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles

QF v Geelong- 26 disposals, 7 marks
PF v Western Bulldogs- 17 kicks, 8 marks, 23 disposals
GF v Collingwood- 22 kicks, 8 marks, 25 disposals
GF2 v Collingwood- 16 disposals, 7 marks (possibly in just a half of footy- did hammy before half time)

EF v Sydney- 21 disposals, 7 marks

In his 12 completed finals he averages 25 possessions and 9 marks per game, with a shitload of those marks being intercepting ones. (Enright, for instance, averages 19 possies and 4 marks per final, Gibson 14.5 disposals and 5 marks).

Of course in a team like this you could afford to just put him on the flank and he would dominate. He'd be like an impenetrable rebounding wall across HB, just leaving his man to take marks and get kicks almost at will, setting up attack after attack.

There would be very few in the comp, if anyone, in any position, who has a better record in finals than him for their position. In fact, he averages 6 more possessions and almost two more marks per game in finals than he averages for his career in general.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...is-off-the-rails/story-e6frecml-1226591864865

Fisher's role changed in the latter half of last season.
"It's a role I like," he said. "Run-off defender has been a trait of mine but I have played on key fowards throughout my career.
"I suppose people don't see that side as much, but I back myself in to play on the bigger key forwards.
"And I love the challenge of doing that."
At 95kg and 193cm, Fisher stands players such as Nic Naitanui (101kg, 201cm), Jonathan Brown (102kg, 194cm), Travis Cloke (108kg, 196cm) and Kurt Tippett (104kg, 202cm).

839563-sam-fisher.jpg
ST KILDA'S SAM FISHER AT MENTONE BEACH. PICTURE: HAMISH BLAIR HERALD SUN

Massive thanks to Sam Fisher for making the effort on a wet Thursday night to come out to training at my local footy club - The Sunshine Kangaroos.

Especially as he was confronted with a room full of kids who had not actually trained (due to the weather) and a few disappointed Hawthorn supporters who had been told Sammy Mitchell was coming :p.

Sam spoke to the group about his career, who supported as a kid (Collingwood, apparently) and was really gracious with his time. But the highlight for me was my 6 year old son (being the only one in the room in a Saints jumper) getting to meet Sam and get a photo with him!

Well done Sammy! :thumbsu:

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...gging-off-injury/story-e6frf3e3-1227124810723

"Fisher was relatively injury-free for the first eight seasons before he struck trouble with the big toe on his left foot that eventually required surgery.

“Things just deteriorated because I was favouring that foot so much. I couldn’t walk on it and couldn’t train on it. Therefore I started to get problems elsewhere,’’ he said.

“Now that the foot’s fine and I’ve been able to build up that leg, there’s no reason why my body won’t hold up better than it has over the last year. It’s the first time I haven’t had an operation at the end of the season for a long time.

“With the amount of running and stuff you do in games now, it has become harder to catch up if you miss chunks (of training) and it does help to get that base that sets you up for the season,” he said.

“I’m just going to knuckle down this year. My aim is to play every game and play some good footy for the club. If that does happen, I don’t see why I wouldn’t go on.”

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ub-and-teammates/story-e6frf3e3-1227155815982

Sam Fisher ready to go for St Kilda after successful surgery and support of club and teammates

SAM Fisher caught a glimpse of his football mortality during a practice match in Sydney’s western suburbs early last year.

One week out from Round 1 the Saints were on their way to a 16-point loss to the fledgling GWS Giants, and Fisher was labouring so badly with a chronic big toe injury that he didn’t really want to be out there.

“I was literally running away from the ball because I just couldn’t get to contests, and I thought ‘What am I doing?’” Fisher said.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Fisher:

Only played 7 games, but he averaged the second most Champion Data ranking points per game of any key defender in that time.

He won the second-most intercept possessions per game of any player in the league and launched the third-most scores per game of any key defender.

His kick rating was the highest of any key defender and the Saints retained possession from 82% of his disposals - ranked 1 at the club.

Conceded multiple goals to his opponents in 5 of his 7 matches.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't think they have it in that article, but in the double page article on Chips in the HS yesterday he said he was disappointed that Carlisle wasn't going to be able to play on the "monsters" this year, allowing Sam to go back to playing on those closer to his size, but that he hoped he'd be able to play with Carlisle next year, which was really interesting.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Chips on Triple M:
Solid interview at 13 mins length.

At the Club information session last night, Richo was asked about the recovery of Sam and Sean Dempster. Both are close but he hesitated in Sam's case because Sam felt some tightness after training so they need to wait and see if it is just tightness or an indication of something more sinister.

Back