Retired #54: Sam Grimley

Remove this Banner Ad

....and the only forward in modern footy who may be forgiven for not having a good defensive side to his game is the main focal point. All others need to be able to chase, harass, not get exposed going the other way.

Goes to show how shallow the pool is right now.

I don't think he'll provide anything other than Depth for Mckerenan and Daniher but the hawks must have seen something in him to have left him on their list all these years.

There may be but Jenkins was clearly unable to get a game at Essendon, for reasons I've never known but clearly he has taken his chance at Adelaide.
Probably because he was on the rookie list and we had no need to elevate him to the senior list.

I think our biggest problem was that we picked him up as a 4th string ruckman behind Ryder, Hille and Bellchambers and overlooked his talent as a KPF. So when Adelaide came knocking with a senior list spot we were happy to trade him.

There may be but Jenkins was clearly unable to get a game at Essendon, for reasons I've never known but clearly he has taken his chance at Adelaide.

Because the club made a mistake - Jenkins spent one year on the rookie list and showed plenty - For some reason they more highly rated Campbell who was on the VFL list and then the Bulldogs grabbed him first in the draft.

I don't think he'll provide anything other than Depth for Mckerenan and Daniher but the hawks must have seen something in him to have left him on their list all these years.

We wanted to get rid of him at the end of 2014, but he had a contract for 2015. The agreement made with his management was that he would be delisted and put into the draft, if no one else took him, we would re draft him as a rookie. But he still got a long run at our club.

Sorry, but Grimley is hopeless.
Average of 2 goals per week as full forward in the top VFL team is nothing special.
He is soft, terrible in ruck.
Being tall and a good kick does not an AFL player make.
Simpkin will play 22 games for you blokes.
Grimley nil.

Thought that he and Lisle were the two standout key forward options available. Both big, powerful guys with good mobility. I saw something mentioned about undersized key forward options but I don't really view them as being viable to build a structure around.

Like that Grimley can also provide relief ruck minutes. It means that we have at least 1 ready made replacement forward/ruck to help keep Daniher forward.

Good signing.

Last edited:
People beating the jungle drums like he needs to dominate clearly don't understand our predicament on any level.

A bloke with AFL talent (he was on an AFL list), with runs on the board albeit at the lower level is a welcome sight for a side struggling with tall timber.

As has been mentioned, should he only play a handful of games, it will be a sign that our mixture of forwards are doing a more than capable job.

As Jack Pckage says,

Is Capable

I welcome capable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Bomber TV interviewed Grimley immediately after a training session. Reckon Grimley was panting for breath at the beginning of the interview.

There's potential in Grimley, we wouldn't have kept him for 6 years if there wasn't. Has his flaws, but is great athletically for his size and is a decent kick. Bad ruck though.

tumblr_mz6mrgESOS1scz79jo1_400.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back