Past Sam 'Horse' Michael (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions rookies Sam Michael and Nick Hayes are headed to Adelaide after both were named in the final NEAFL Northern Conference (QLD/NT) side, which will compete against the best of the SANFL this Saturday.

Michael, meanwhile, was part of the initial representative squad announced late last month.

NEAFL Northern vs. SANFL Review

Brisbane Lions rookie Sam Michael followed up his Andrew Ireland Medal in last year’s Grand Final with the Zane Taylor Medal as the NEAFL’s best player, with Andrew Boston and Scott Clarke other youngsters to stand out.

Brisbane Lions rookie Michael was swung forward, and had a big influence, creating contests, taking several contested marks, and kicking two goals, while reigning Grogan Medallist Davey, and skipper Ilett began to dominate through the middle of the ground.

Michael claims Medal
May 13, 2013

Brisbane Lions rookie Sam Michael is quickly developing a reputation as a ‘big game’ player after being awarded the Zane Taylor Medal as the NEAFL Northern Conference’s best player in last Saturday’s State game at West Adelaide.

It comes just nine months after Michael also received the Andrew Ireland Medal as the best player in the Lions Reserves’ 2012 Cross-Conference Championship triumph over Queanbeyan.

However, on this occasion, Michael’s standout performance wasn’t enough to lead his team to victory, with the SANFL claiming an 82-point win. Michael, who was one of two Lions representing the NEAFL side along with teammate Nick Hayes, has played predominantly in the ruck this season, but had his greatest influence up forward against the SANFL.

The 19-year-old imposed himself on the contest, and kicked a couple of goals from strong marks.

Only 19. He is sounding impressive, but at 19 there is no need to rush him. At this stage, for him to play seniors, he would need to do some ruck time. If he is spending more time in the ruck in the 2nds, perhaps this is being done with a senior spot in mind. Contested marking is certainly something we lack.

Michael is coming along very well but he does still need to improve his ruck work. He is excellent around the ground but has been getting beaten when coming up against the type of big bodied rucks he will face in the AFL. As a 19 year old ruckman/KP there is still plenty of time and it is good to see him getting plenty of chances to work on that part of his game in the reserves.

Against the SANFL he was soundly beaten in the ruck contests but dominated around the ground. If he can bring his ruck work up we have a very interesting dynamic in our ruck division.

Well we do need a forward ruck, not a ruck forward. I'd like to see Michael doing more ruck work in the ressies to help develop that with Longer spending more time forward to develop that part of his game.

Well we do need a forward ruck, not a ruck forward. I'd like to see Michael doing more ruck work in the ressies to help develop that with Longer spending more time forward to develop that part of his game.

I would go so far as to say we don't need another ruckman at all and need a pure forward.

I would go so far as to say we don't need another ruckman at all and need a pure forward.
It's about versatility isn't it? I could envisage the time when we play Longer or Michael as a permanent forward who does some relief ruck work, and maybe even the three ruckmen in the same team alternating. Three mobile ruck/forwards would provide some headaches for most opposition teams I reckon and it's not as if we have a Brown replacment beating the door down.

It's about versatility isn't it? I could envisage the time when we play Longer or Michael as a permanent forward who does some relief ruck work, and maybe even the three ruckmen in the same team alternating. Three mobile ruck/forwards would provide some headaches for most opposition teams I reckon and it's not as if we have a Brown replacment beating the door down.

It is, but it's also about having a player who has the forward instinct of being able to kick multiple goals, something we do not have ATM. Would like to see us draft a pure FF this year and forget about the backup ruck part.

It is, but it's also about having a player who has the forward instinct of being able to kick multiple goals, something we do not have ATM. Would like to see us draft a pure FF this year and forget about the backup ruck part.

I would say its more our supply then our choice of forwards, from what weve seen recently.

Weve reverted to the BOMB IT tech.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say its more our supply then our choice of forwards, from what weve seen recently.

Weve reverted to the BOMB IT tech.

Our supply is awful too yes. But you see forwards like Cloke who will some weeks have some really pressured or poor delivery and still manage to be competitive and/or hit the scoreboard. We need that badly.

Our supply is awful too yes. But you see forwards like Cloke who will some weeks have some really pressured or poor delivery and still manage to be competitive and/or hit the scoreboard. We need that badly.

He didnt this week ;)

But yes, Michael could fill that role, no reason why he couldnt. We also have Close, who we could possibly get bulked up enough in a few years to play that area. Our options are surprisingly abundant at the moment.

Not sure there is such a thing these days in u18 football, but agree that we certainly need to use a high pick on a key forward.

He didnt this week ;)

But yes, Michael could fill that role, no reason why he couldnt. We also have Close, who we could possibly get bulked up enough in a few years to play that area. Our options are surprisingly abundant at the moment.

Yeah hoping so, don't get me wrong. If I'm honest I am STILL pissed about missing out on Hogan.

Reserves Wrap
May 14, 2013

Rookies Sam Michael and Nick Hayes were the exceptions however, with both representing Queensland/NT in the NEAFL’s 82-point loss to the SANFL in Adelaide. Reserves Coach Leigh Harding still hasn’t seen the entire State match, but has been pleased with the feedback he’s received on the two Lions players.

“I’ve heard Hayesy was quite good, and Sam Michael obviously had a great day because he won the (Zane Taylor) Medal as best-on-ground.” “It’s a great effort by Sam. He’s been in great form of late.”

“Sam’s played predominantly in the ruck, mainly because he’s one of our only big guys in the Reserves. But when we’ve had Billy (Longer) in the team, we’ve been able to shift him forward a bit more.”

Flags inspired Michael
May 15, 2013
Sam Lord

If it wasn’t for the Brisbane Lions’ hat-trick of premierships from 2001-2003, Sam Michael might never have pursued an AFL career. “When I first started playing footy in Cairns, AFL was only a small part of the community, but after the three Lions premierships it became much larger,” Michael told fans during his live chat with lions.com.au. “As a result, I was inspired to pursue AFL as a profession.”

Michael said representing his home State was one of greatest thrills yet. “It was a massive honor to be given the opportunity to play for Queensland,” Michael said.

He credits having a small taste of senior AFL action during the 2013 NAB Cup competition as one of the reasons behind his good form in the NEAFL. “I got some great experience in the NAB Cup that I have been able to use while playing reserves, and I have just started to string a few good games together so hopefully a few more opportunities will open up as the year progresses,” he said.

Like all players, a senior berth is what he’s ultimately striving for, but his rookie status means that he needs to be promoted to the senior list before he can be considered for selection.

Sam Michael Live Chat Transcript

Matt: How do you like it at the Bne Lions? Whats the best part

Sam Michael: G'day Mat, the best part of being at the Lions is getting to train alongside big JB

Jono: who is the most annoying person at the club?

Sam Michael: Hi Jono, by far the most annoying player is Jesse O'Brien, always getting up to mischief and playing practical jokes

Ben: Where do you prefer to play in the ruck or up forward?

Sam Michael: Hey Ben, i prefer to play in the forward line cos that is where the big bucks are made ;)

Phil: Hey Sam, What key skills are you working on right now to become the best player you can be?

Sam Michael: Hi Phil, i am currently doing a lot of work on my contested marking as it is important for key position players to be strong in aerial contests.

Heath: Who are your best mates around the club?

Sam Michael: Hi Health, Patty Weardon, Matt Maguire and Jordon Bourke

Roo: Do coaches give you improvement/performance targets?

Sam Michael: Hey Roo, always looking to try and improve to make sure i am well acquainted with the skills of both ruck and key forward.

While he still hasn't played a senior game, from the reports it sounds like he is much improved from where he was 12 months ago, in particular the consistency of his output.

Really good to hear that he is working on his contested marking and is hopefully training to be a forward. I wonder how his development will be in the reserves for the most part of this year. Will he be needed in the ruck more or will he play more of a forward role.

Really good to hear that he is working on his contested marking and is hopefully training to be a forward. I wonder how his development will be in the reserves for the most part of this year. Will he be needed in the ruck more or will he play more of a forward role.

Awesome display pic!

Michael to debut for Lions

The Brisbane Lions will unveil their fifth debutant for the season when they take on Carlton at the Gabba this Saturday night.

Sam Michael, recruited to the Lions with Queensland Priority Selection (Pick No.96 overall) at the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft, has been named to play his first senor game in the Lions’ Round 9 side. Michael was this week elevated to the Lions’ Senior list in place of Claye Beams who has been placed on the long term injury list.

The 19-year-old Queenslander comes into the side after being awarded the Zane Taylor Medal as the NEAFL Northern Conference’s best player in this month’s State game at West Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back