Traded Sam Mayes (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Pushed forward to kick two handy goals and his touches have a glint of class. 6/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Great game. Got dangerous a lot inside 50 to end with 4 goals. 8/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

After a blistering start to the season, are the second year blues setting in for Sam? I'd like to see him go back forward again, because I really expected him to be more damaging playing behind the ball. Haven't really paid to much attention to how his opponent is usually doing though.

After a blistering start to the season, are the second year blues setting in for Sam? I'd like to see him go back forward again, because I really expected him to be more damaging playing behind the ball. Haven't really paid to much attention to how his opponent is usually doing though.
Looks to me like he's focusing more on his opponent. I think Leppa's just rounding out his game.

Stats wise he hasn't been that bad but agree his visual impact on the play hasn't been as high. He's third for rebound 50's (25 so far this year vs 26 last year) and about 6th for inside 50's (22 this year vs 56 last year) and clearances has 13 vs 25 last year. He has had 15 scoring shots but only had 17 shots in 18 games last year and averaged about 1.5 disposals less. Sometimes I think 2nd year blues can be put down to a number of things that are largely unrelated to how the player is actually playing

1. There's less focus on the player. Last year we were all watching him very closely, however this year we're watching Aish, Taylor, Gardiner, Robbo because they're new players and we want to see what they've got. Therefore we don't really notice Mayes as much.

2. In general they tend to play slightly different roles. In a lot of cases first year players tend to get a bit of a licence to attack. While they do have to work defensively they don't really get those important roles in defence, mainly because they're not that well drilled yet in the plan as yet. So they tend to be more offensive in their play, which of course is more noticeable. Worth noting that so far this year he has had 26 1%'s vs 19 for his 18 games last year.

3. We expect them to get better immediately and by a fair margin. If a player comes in and smashes out an exciting year and has only a slightly better year the next then the consensus is almost that he's gone backwards as he hasn't kept up with the inflated expectations of his output. Most of that can be put down to one and 2 in my book.

I tend to think with Mayes, his third year will move towards a bit more of a balance between his attack and defence and we'll see his offensive numbers spike again. He's just too naturally talented going forward not to.

In short what whatboutbob said

Sam seems to be having a bit of the second year attention increases, as well as being tried elsewhere position wise...still seen as a best 22, which I think is fair.

When Rich is back next year I would suspect he gets more time at HF, and in the guts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for Mayes, second year Ayer and thrown around a fair bit position wise which doesn't allow consistency in his game. If he was just left in a position/role for a stretch of games I believe we would see him return to his old ways. Glad to see his goal on the weekend, he does have a lovely kick which we haven't seen much of this year.

Lions cubs turn heat on Suns

BRISBANE’S kids are drawing a line in the sand ahead of QClash 8 at the Gabba on Saturday. The Gold Coast are heavy $1.50 favourites in head-to-head betting to claim their second-straight Sunshine Stoush and are expected to dominate the derby for years to come with their talent-stacked playing list of young guns.

But Lions midfielder Sam Mayes says Brisbane will not be bullied — not this weekend and not into the future. The silky-skilled 20 year old said Brisbane’s young cubs would back themselves to push back the tide. “You hear a lot of talk about the youth of the Gold Coast and how strong their young players are like (Jaeger) O’Meara and (Dion) Prestia and the like,’’ Mayes said. “But we have got a fairly good bunch of young players as well. “It will create good games of footy in the future because both sides have strong youth in their lists. It should be a strong rivalry for years to come. “It will be a good contest this week, that’s for sure. “It’s an important one. They are trying to play finals and it (spoiling the Gold Coast’s finals run) is a motivation for us.’’

Mayes has proven to be a barometer for Brisbane in recent QClash matches. He made his senior debut in Round 3 last year when he collected 21 disposals and 10 marks on a wing in Brisbane’s two-point win at Metricon Stadium. Mayes backed it up with 25 touches, one goal, three goals assists, four clearances and five inside 50 entries as a midfielder in the 33-point triumph at the Gabba in Round 15. But playing as full-forward in Round 3 this year, he had nine disposals as the Suns marched to a 53-point thrashing of Brisbane.

Second year player....fatigue probably setting in. Has played a lot of footy this year in roles that he would have not been used too, has been a solid year where he has cemented himself as a best 18 player,I think sometimes we underestimate how hard that it is to do for a young player no matter what draft pick they are.

Sure the numbers are okay, but like I said there were at least 2 half efforts which were - to be honest - pretty poor which I am not used to seeing from him. Looked pretty lethargic and somewhat tentative on occasion for some reason.
I've been thinking the same for a few weeks now. Still has the polish and efficiency but just looks flat to me too. Noticed yesterday that when the ball left his direct area he showed no intent at all. Still a long term gun though - glad we have him.

I think this perceived 'tiredness' has come as a result of Mayes doing more grunt work. This year is very much a development year for Mayes, and I for one couldn't be happier with how he is tracking. For someone who was drafted as a half forward / outside mid, the way Mayes has attacked the contest and instinctively thrust himself at the contested ball has been superb. He is very clean in close and I'm a big fan of what he could potentially become

Remove this Banner Ad

Back