Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could he rewrite the James Podsiadly story? Rookie listed at two previous clubs, couldn't get a senior game, goes back to the lower competition and almost gives up on the afl dream, then gets drafted as mature age, before going on to win a premiership?
I'm not sure anyone will ever rewrite the jpod story - but he can definitely write his own. And I hope he does.

Go Catters

Yes, of course meto, I should have included that. If Menegola does slot in, I think it can give Scooter + Duncan more time to recover, if they need it. Also, they can be rotated to rest if needed, with a view to having a fresher, fitter team for finals. He certainly adds depth there, which has been a real concern + a reason our recent finals campaigns have failed.

He can also be played as a medium forward, there are doubt clouds over Menzel and Kersten, so I think he's a great chance of realising that first senior game if he brings that WAFL form with him.

How fit others are and how he shows for the NAB will determine, I'm wondering how right to go Scooter and Duncan will be but fantastic if he can step in.
Strengthening our mid stocks with a ready to go player was a clever move with our picks as they were.

I was keen on Tropiano as a mature pick but very happy with Menegola - good size and good mix between inside and outside capabilities by the look of the highlights
Has a young brother who has had a solid Colts season as well

He can also be played as a medium forward, there are doubt clouds over Menzel and Kersten, so I think he's a great chance of realising that first senior game if he bring that WAFL form with him.
Great idea meto! So now we could have Menegola covering injured, recovering or rested players in two positions! :thumbsu: :rainbow: Versatility too, Scotty will adore him! ;)

I was keen on Tropiano as a mature pick but very happy with Menegola - good size and good mix between inside and outside capabilities by the look of the highlights
Has a young brother who has had a solid Colts season as well

Yeah!....Was thinking you'd be wrapped in his selection, good on Wells for recognising his efforts and strengthening our senior list.
I missed everyone in this years draft, apart from Doedee, who I pegged early, but who would've thought he'd go P17.
Your bloke Snadden we might rookie?

A confident Sam Menegola is convinced he can finally shrug the tag of being considered just an elite runner and succeed as a fully fledged AFL midfielder
The 23-year-old was dumped by Fremantle at the end of 2014 and missed the first 10 rounds of the 2015 WAFL season with a serious ankle injury.

But when he finally got on the field for Subiaco, Menegola was able to turn perceptions of his ability as a footballer on their head.
His request to play as an inside midfielder received the backing of coach Jarrad Schofield.

The result was an explosive run of games where he averaged 27 disposals, kicked 21 goals and showcased a playing style ideally suited to Geelong’s attacking game plan.

Menegola built a reputation as an outstanding endurance runner during rookie-list stints with Hawthorn and Fremantle, but failed to crack an AFL debut.

He said he was a different player now, and fired a parting shot at Fremantle for failing to bring the best out of him in three seasons at the club.

Schoey just gave me a role that really suited me and went away from obviously the tagging and negative defensive roles that Freo had me playing to giving me a licence to take the game on and attack and win my own ball,” Menegola said.

“I’m a pretty different player to what I was last year and just able to hopefully play to my strengths a little bit better. I’ll be trying to do that over at Geelong.

“Working under Schoey compared to where I’d been was obviously quite different.

“He was really positive, urged me to take the game on and get the ball in my hands and use my leg speed. He was really encouraging on backing myself in.”

I think it was very telling when Selwood said that in recent years, we've pushed for top four regardless of injuries + players breaking down after a long, hard, exhausting seasons, without success.

My feeling with the recruitment of Menegola, is to add depth to the team, with a player who can play midfield or forward, which means our other mids or forwards can be rested, hopefully preventing the end of season exhaustion or injuries, which harmed our recent finals campaigns. As others have already said, it's also for endurance because of the new interchange rule.

This is the perfect year to rest/rotate players. We have Bews, Kolo, Henderson and Thurlow as the new group in the backline with Mackie, Lonergan, Enright and Harry as the stalwarts (total 8 players). So we can each week rotate a player out and another in and that way the players get enough games to keep up match fitness and touch but get enough rest at important times for them to stay largely niggle free.

Then we have the same situation being true for the midfield, forward line and even rucks. So we can each week or so rotate players in for more experience or touch and one out for a well earned break and to freshen up.

Even though it seems to be the perfect year to do this GFC finds it very hard to rest players - well historically. I just hope their thinking changes as to have a fresh set of troops largely niggle free come finals is certainly a big factor in our favour. Just hope someone at the club is saying let's be strategic this year about how we get the balance right between playing young ones and giving the more experienced best 22 games.

J.D. The pre-season will sort that question out.

It will sort out who will be in the best 22 come round 1 2016. But I do not think it will tell us a heap of who will be in the team come the first final in 2016.

I think the team may change significantly in this period of time. Maybe 6 changes ! Maybe not. But it is the hardest year in quite a time when this has been the case.

Brad Hartman? I think Hartman carried the whole VFL team in the GF they lost to Box Hill! He was fabulous that day + I had such high hopes for him after seeing him play that day.
Seems it's as much about what's going on in the head, as it is to be a talented player.

Yeah that's right Brad Hartman. Reckon he may have been ok - especially this year and next. But yes you have to want to be in that environment as it is not a normal one being a senior AFL player in society today. Even in the past there have been players that gave the game away as it just did not work for them. In fact Gary Senior gave it away at nearly the peak of his powers - and the world mourned. I think that the competitive and combative requirements to be a AFL footballer conflicted with his religious views of the time. So we nearly had the most spectacular player maybe ever to pull a pair of boots on be lost to footy.

What disappointed me most was the trend this departure continued in the loss of games by players lost in one form or another.

How many injuries have hurt us in the past 3-4 seasons ? Losing Egan was so bad for us because he was a 10 year player- and being forced to retire so young was devastating for everyone concerned. Then to lose Ablett to a freak bid (as had there been now new club Ablett would have stayed at GFC no doubt). Then the loss of games development for many young kids like Menzel, Brown, Simpson, McCarthy, Cowan, Vardy, etc.

If many of these were not so bad we would have a stronger team right now - and it is likely we would have made the finals again this season. It took a lot but all those and other factors (like opposition teams getting better at the same time) finally dragged us out of the 8. The first time in a long time.

So Hartman (and Toohey also) just represented to me a trend that we would lose a player somehow without even trying. They just kept regularly falling over at Catland in some fashion or another !

I am hoping that we are over that trend and a new trend is established where we see the team rise again and we have less injuries.

A confident Sam Menegola is convinced he can finally shrug the tag of being considered just an elite runner and succeed as a fully fledged AFL midfielder
The 23-year-old was dumped by Fremantle at the end of 2014 and missed the first 10 rounds of the 2015 WAFL season with a serious ankle injury.

But when he finally got on the field for Subiaco, Menegola was able to turn perceptions of his ability as a footballer on their head.
His request to play as an inside midfielder received the backing of coach Jarrad Schofield.

The result was an explosive run of games where he averaged 27 disposals, kicked 21 goals and showcased a playing style ideally suited to Geelong’s attacking game plan.

Menegola built a reputation as an outstanding endurance runner during rookie-list stints with Hawthorn and Fremantle, but failed to crack an AFL debut.

He said he was a different player now, and fired a parting shot at Fremantle for failing to bring the best out of him in three seasons at the club.

Schoey just gave me a role that really suited me and went away from obviously the tagging and negative defensive roles that Freo had me playing to giving me a licence to take the game on and attack and win my own ball,” Menegola said.

“I’m a pretty different player to what I was last year and just able to hopefully play to my strengths a little bit better. I’ll be trying to do that over at Geelong.

“Working under Schoey compared to where I’d been was obviously quite different.

“He was really positive, urged me to take the game on and get the ball in my hands and use my leg speed. He was really encouraging on backing myself in.”
What an endorsement of Ross Lyon's coaching! :rolleyes:

Looks as though Menegola relished his new role in the Waffle! Add his goal kicking! He has the bod!!! I'm allowing myself to get excited!

However, a reality check ensures waiting until NAB Cup, where I really hope he is let off his leash. Perhaps not a Rd1 selection against the Poos+Wees, but I'm looking forward to his AFL debut + wishing Menegola 'third time lucky'!

Thanks so much for posting that andana :thumbsu: :rainbow:

It will sort out who will be in the best 22 come round 1 2016. But I do not think it will tell us a heap of who will be in the team come the first final in 2016.

I think the team may change significantly in this period of time. Maybe 6 changes ! Maybe not. But it is the hardest year in quite a time when this has been the case.

Yep, you would need crystal balls to predict that event at this stage.
Of course, there is also the added assumption that Geelong will play in the finals.

Yeah that's right Brad Hartman. Reckon he may have been ok - especially this year and next. But yes you have to want to be in that environment as it is not a normal one being a senior AFL player in society today. Even in the past there have been players that gave the game away as it just did not work for them. In fact Gary Senior gave it away at nearly the peak of his powers - and the world mourned. I think that the competitive and combative requirements to be a AFL footballer conflicted with his religious views of the time. So we nearly had the most spectacular player maybe ever to pull a pair of boots on be lost to footy.

What disappointed me most was the trend this departure continued in the loss of games by players lost in one form or another.

How many injuries have hurt us in the past 3-4 seasons ? Losing Egan was so bad for us because he was a 10 year player- and being forced to retire so young was devastating for everyone concerned. Then to lose Ablett to a freak bid (as had there been now new club Ablett would have stayed at GFC no doubt). Then the loss of games development for many young kids like Menzel, Brown, Simpson, McCarthy, Cowan, Vardy, etc.

If many of these were not so bad we would have a stronger team right now - and it is likely we would have made the finals again this season. It took a lot but all those and other factors (like opposition teams getting better at the same time) finally dragged us out of the 8. The first time in a long time.

So Hartman (and Toohey also) just represented to me a trend that we would lose a player somehow without even trying. They just kept regularly falling over at Catland in some fashion or another !

I am hoping that we are over that trend and a new trend is established where we see the team rise again and we have less injuries.
I read your first three sentences + immediately thought 'Gary Ablett Sr'! Yes, Jon! You make valuable + insightful points!
Many people think they know about psychology, very few understand it.
When you're dealing with a genius, like GAS, it's crucial to ensure that normal constraints don't stifle him. Just as a training programme is individually tailored, it's vital to understand the mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as the physical motivations for each player.
It is too arcane to expect every single player to have the same training programme imposed upon them.
Edited by moderator.
My belief is that each situation, or in this instance, each player has different needs, which should be addressed.
I've questioned, for a number of years now, why Geelong doesn't apply basic psychology to address players' needs. Their sport psychology seems also lacking. Not everyone can have the Menzel grit!
What is encouraging about recruiting a player like Menegola, is that he's spent three years in different cultures, but his time in the Waffle, under Schroder's (spelling) guidance, has afforded him time to assess what he needed to do to improve. So like jPod, a mature Kitten is given another chance, which we hope he'll relish!
Again, you've made another valid point - "What disappointed me most was the trend this departure continued in the loss of games by players lost in one form or another."
The years of long term injuries, the demise of our premiership veterans, the cruelness of additional injuries + the push for top four, (in spite of exhausted players, who pushed through injuries, some collapsed) did result in a reassessment.
I do believe that the recruitment of Menegola, reveals that the Club is addressing these issues. Last year, the VFL team was decimated because of the Seniors' injuries. As meto + I discussed, Menegola offers depth for our mids + forwards.
While I'm not pinning all my hopes on Menegola saving the day, I do hope that as a mature guy, who had a breakout year in the Waffle, there are now options.
The new recruits offer us great hope!
It's just sooooooo incredible to see all our LTI players training hard in the preseason! But it still makes me bite my cheek, to ensure I'm awake!
Most of all I'm crossing my fingers that Menegola is a success! For his sake + ours'!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read your first three sentences + immediately thought 'Gary Ablett Sr'! Yes, Jon! You make valuable + insightful points!
When you're dealing with a genius, like GAS, it's crucial to ensure that normal constraints don't stifle him. Just as a training programme is individually tailored, it's vital to understand the mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as the physical motivations for each player.
It is too arcane to expect every single player to have the same training programme imposed upon them. Edited by moderator.
My belief is that each situation, or in this instance, each player has different needs, which should be addressed.
I've questioned, for a number of years now, why Geelong doesn't apply basic psychology to address players' needs. Their sport psychology seems also lacking. Not everyone can have the Menzel grit!
What is encouraging about recruiting a player like Menegola, is that he's spent three years in different cultures, but his time in the Waffle, under Schroder's (spelling) guidance, has afforded him time to assess what he needed to do to improve. So like jPod, a mature Kitten is given another chance, which we hope he'll relish!
Again, you've made another valid point - "What disappointed me most was the trend this departure continued in the loss of games by players lost in one form or another."
The years of long term injuries, the demise of our premiership veterans, the cruelness of additional injuries + the push for top four, (in spite of exhausted players, who pushed through injuries, some collapsed) did result in a reassessment.
I do believe that the recruitment of Menegola, reveals that the Club is addressing these issues. Last year, the VFL team was decimated because of the Seniors' injuries. As meto + I discussed, Menegola offers depth for our mids + forwards.
While I'm not pinning all my hopes on Menegola saving the day, I do hope that as a mature guy, who had a breakout year in the Waffle, there are now options.
It's just sooooooo incredible to see all our LTI players training hard in the preseason! But it still makes me bite my cheek, to ensure I'm awake!
Most of all I'm crossing my fingers that Menegola is a success! For his sake + ours'!

That was such a great post - well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was such a great post - well done.
*blushing*

rpf0Du8NasK6Q.gif

Thank you GHS, as a kitten in terms of AFL knowledge, I'm most appreciative of your kind words + encouragement :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Must admit that I'm very excited + hyped about Menegola! Yet, no pressure on him! Just really hoping he succeeds at Geelong because he's already shown such grit!

Addy this morning -

"GEELONG believes it has unearthed gold from Tuesday night’s four late picks, confident recycled midfielder Sam Menegola can make an immediate impact at AFL level next year.

Menegola is a strong-bodied midfielder who Wells rated the most likely to push for senior contention in his first year at the club.

He was a driving force in Subiaco’s WAFL premiership this year, averaging 27 possessions a game - none more important than his 30-possession domination in the grand final win over West Perth."

518e0976486b27a656eb9da015922216

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/9bbb53dc9fbf2c2c37f62739920598fd

This is very encouraging + exciting!

It is too arcane to expect every single player to have the same training programme imposed upon them.
Edited by moderator.

Very good post HK, I for one will be keeping a close eye and hoping he succeeds.

Very good post HK, I for one will be keeping a close eye and hoping he succeeds.
Thank you so much meto, it means a lot to me that you liked it :thumbsu: :rainbow:

great post HK, and gave it the appropriate 'like' - sorry for editing down the quote; but was wondering as to why your comment had been edited by a moderator?
Thank you Cursed Cat, I'm very touched that you liked it :thumbsu: :rainbow:

You will have to ask the mod who edited it, why part of my comment was deleted.

He won our 3km time trial each year. Often 20-30m ahead of Tendai Mzungu who's widely regarded as having a huge tank. Pace off the mark is average, not terrible, but not upper echelon.

Freo have a plethora of inside midfielders; Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, DeBoer the latter on the fringe already. We lacked good outside players; Hill....D.Pearce, Mzungu and have been on the lookout for outside runners. With a huge tank we tried to make him a winger, HBFer, tagged but he couldn't adapt. It's no surprise he changed WAFL clubs looking for more onball time. Mzungu and DeBoer when dropped often rack up 30+ in the WAFL. Clancee Pearce I think got close to 40 a couple of times.

His shortcoming has always been kicking, both penetration and depth. This year he's added depth. He looks to have bulked a little and become more explosive while remaining an elite endurance athlete. He bullies WAFL midfielders and can take a tackle. He's above average size for even an AFL midfielder and won't look outsized by more that 1/2 dozen top quality players.

I think he was an astute pick at 66. He could play tomorrow and get 20-25 possessions. they won't be top quality possessions but if he can get it to the hands of your better ball users he'll be a solid pick.

If he continues to improve, as he should having only played 1/2 season as an on baller. He could be your next Joel Corey alongside the star midfielders of Dangerfield - Ablett and Selwood - well....still Selwood.

Clever pick. If you guys start putting him at HB or HF I don't think he'll have an impact.

He won our 3km time trial each year. Often 20-30m ahead of Tendai Mzungu who's widely regarded as having a huge tank. Pace off the mark is average, not terrible, but not upper echelon.

Freo have a plethora of inside midfielders; Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, DeBoer the latter on the fringe already. We lacked good outside players; Hill....D.Pearce, Mzungu and have been on the lookout for outside runners. With a huge tank we tried to make him a winger, HBFer, tagged but he couldn't adapt. It's no surprise he changed WAFL clubs looking for more onball time. Mzungu and DeBoer when dropped often rack up 30+ in the WAFL. Clancee Pearce I think got close to 40 a couple of times.

His shortcoming has always been kicking, both penetration and depth. This year he's added depth. He looks to have bulked a little and become more explosive while remaining an elite endurance athlete. He bullies WAFL midfielders and can take a tackle. He's above average size for even an AFL midfielder and won't look outsized by more that 1/2 dozen top quality players.

I think he was an astute pick at 66. He could play tomorrow and get 20-25 possessions. they won't be top quality possessions but if he can get it to the hands of your better ball users he'll be a solid pick.

If he continues to improve, as he should having only played 1/2 season as an on baller. He could be your next Joel Corey alongside the star midfielders of Dangerfield - Ablett and Selwood - well....still Selwood.

Clever pick. If you guys start putting him at HB or HF I don't think he'll have an impact.
Thanks for your insight, rgauci :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Not sure if you've read it in this thread, but Menegola looks like starting at AFL level next season.

WE have pretty much sucked at clearances. If he can play at AFL level, and his tank is elite, I could see him pushing very hard for Rd1. If his weakness is disposal by foot, hopefully his strength inside will help our clearances and get it out to others. His strengths play to our weaknesses and that gives him a great shot to make an impact.

Go Catters

Yeah!....Was thinking you'd be wrapped in his selection, good on Wells for recognising his efforts and strengthening our senior list.
I missed everyone in this years draft, apart from Doedee, who I pegged early, but who would've thought he'd go P17.
Your bloke Snadden we might rookie?

Hi meto , must admit to overlooking Menegola but very pleased he has become more of a mid than a winger.
He played wing for EF in the WAFL and whilst OK wasn't a standout. Turned that around this season though at Subiaco

Very happy for Snads , has potential to add value to the Eagles and will relish the open spaces at Patterson if he gets a chance.
Great kid as well.

Hi meto , must admit to overlooking Menegola but very pleased he has become more of a mid than a winger.
He played wing for EF in the WAFL and whilst OK wasn't a standout. Turned that around this season though at Subiaco

Very happy for Snads , has potential to add value to the Eagles and will relish the open spaces at Patterson if he gets a chance.
Great kid as well.

You weren't to far off with Snadden, picked up by WCE, I think you've got it covered over in WA just as GHS33 has in SA. He would've been a great pickup but I'm wrapped in Wellsey's performance this draft all things considered I like our selections.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back