Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola is in tip top shape, looks extremely fit. That photo taken of him standing next to Enright almost put Boris to shame!

Can you show me the pic of Sam next to Boris? It would be an interesting comparison to when he was first drafted by the Dawks.
1442812325405.jpg

Stats from 2011 draft
Height: 189 cm.
Weight: 79 kg.
DOB: 7 Mar 1992
Recruited from East Fremantle

Currently on the Geelong Cats page he is listed at 188cm and 88kgs.

Last edited:
My family is sponsoring him this year, so hope he has an injury free run at it.
Gedday planks. Long time no see.

How does this sponsorship work when they are professional footballers?

Gedday planks. Long time no see.

How does this sponsorship work when they are professional footballers?

I dont think they personally get the cash, I think its just another revenue raiser for the club.

Player sponsors cough up about $5k -$10k and in return get some perks that us nobody's dont get. I.e access to rooms on gameday, grand final tickets if we make it, tickets to best and fairest and other events etc.

clear[1].png clear[1].png clear[1].png clear[1].png clear[1].png clear[1].png clear[1].png
He won our 3km time trial each year. Often 20-30m ahead of Tendai Mzungu who's widely regarded as having a huge tank. Pace off the mark is average, not terrible, but not upper echelon.

Freo have a plethora of inside midfielders; Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, DeBoer the latter on the fringe already. We lacked good outside players; Hill....D.Pearce, Mzungu and have been on the lookout for outside runners. With a huge tank we tried to make him a winger, HBFer, tagged but he couldn't adapt. It's no surprise he changed WAFL clubs looking for more onball time. Mzungu and DeBoer when dropped often rack up 30+ in the WAFL. Clancee Pearce I think got close to 40 a couple of times.

His shortcoming has always been kicking, both penetration and depth. This year he's added depth. He looks to have bulked a little and become more explosive while remaining an elite endurance athlete. He bullies WAFL midfielders and can take a tackle. He's above average size for even an AFL midfielder and won't look outsized by more that 1/2 dozen top quality players.

I think he was an astute pick at 66. He could play tomorrow and get 20-25 possessions. they won't be top quality possessions but if he can get it to the hands of your better ball users he'll be a solid pick.

If he continues to improve, as he should having only played 1/2 season as an on baller. He could be your next Joel Corey alongside the star midfielders of Dangerfield - Ablett and Selwood - well....still Selwood.

Clever pick. If you guys start putting him at HB or HF I don't think he'll have an impact.

Missed this post on the initial reading of this thread.
Brilliant analysis which puts into perspective how hard it is to break into Freos midfield so no big negative there.
The last line is also very poignant - play him where he belongs as an inside mid. I saw him play a lot for East Fremantle as a winger and he didn't impress , however last season an an inside mid with Subiaco he was a changed man.
Let's respect that and not to hybrid him in as a flanker or pocket , maybe he'll be the player we thought JJ would become.

View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988

Brilliant analysis which puts into perspective how hard it is to break into Freos midfield so no big negative there.
The last line is also very poignant - play him where he belongs as an inside mid. I saw him play a lot for East Fremantle as a winger and he didn't impress , however last season an an inside mid with Subiaco he was a changed man.
Let's respect that and not to hybrid him in as a flanker or pocket , maybe he'll be the player we thought JJ would become.

Whilst many strings to the bow are handy, there are some that are just pure see ball get ball types. Sounds like he is one of them. Sel is another. Just let him play… looking forward to him press his case….

GO Catters

View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988 View attachment 204988

Yep. Its a great little wrap up and very positive for us.

Friendly advice - look up the word "poignant". :thumbsu:

He is the only ND pick that might have a show of getting a senior game given he is mature age recruit and has done quite a few pre-seasons before.

While Scooter is out for sometime and maybe Joel is under a cloud to start the year - he may well get a go early. Would be great if he actually could play well at senior level for us. It is a slim chance but he just might be ok.

Found this little article about Menegola from last year apologies if it's been posted but I couldn't see it contains a couple of little clips as well as some parting shots at Lyon. Added bonus of Menegola is he was at our two biggest rivals. Hopefully he's got some IP to bring to the club and his new team mates on the Hawks and Freo and I'm sure he'd be pumped to fire up against them.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30196903/menegola-s-parting-shot-at-freo/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scuse the intrusion, but any news on his injury guys?
Hopefully its not too bad and he gets back quick.

Have watched his work in the game a few times now and was impressed. Good tank, good skills and happy to be head over it.

With Sel and Scooter out for a bit, he had a chance to get some AFL time. I suspect he still will this year if he plays like that again once he returns.

Go Catters

Last edited:
Hopefully its not to bad and he gets back quick.

Have watched his work in the game a few times now and was impressed. Good tank, good skills and happy to be head over it.

With Sel and Scooter out for a bit, he had a chance to get some AFL time. I suspect he still will this year if he plays like that again once he returns.

Go Catters

Wretched luck ( or lack of it) for Sam
Showed some really good signs even though his ability to break loose and run was curtailed - however once he adapts to AFL pace as opposed to WAFL I'm sure that will be there as well.
Hope he only misses a few games , will be a great addition to our depth. :thumbsu:

Unconfirmed reports from Fox Sports of 6-8 weeks meniscus surgery required…..

Hopefully not…

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back