Universal Love Sam Mitchell and Shaun Burgoyne to play their 250th's against Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
*Barring Injury

So it's not often that you have two champions play big milestones with the same amount of games and playing in the same team. In two weeks time against the Tigers, this should be the case.

Both are champions of our club, both are 31 year old's, both are dual premiership players, both are playing some of their best footy right now and both look capable of playing 300 at this stage.

Post your appreciation for these two champions of the Hawthorn Football Club and long may they continue to dominate games.

How many games left untill Burgoyne reaches father son territory.......we have to get his kids.

I believe that you must play 100 games for a club so he now sits on 91 for Hawthorn after playing 157 for Port meaning that he needs to play 9 more games for us for his kids to be eligible. I'm not sure what happens in his case with playing over 100 games for 2 clubs but I would assume that the player being drafted would be able to choose if both clubs were to claim father son?

Depends if he goes back to Adelaide then port will get them for sure bit like jarman's kids.

I think Shaun Burgoyne has a long (20+ yr) coaching contract waiting for him at the HFC, right next to Alastair Clarkson, the moment he calls it a day.

The proviso with said contract is that when he signs on, he signs away the rights to his progeny for eternity :):thumbsu::):thumbsu:

I still think Mitchell is underrated by neutrals. For some reason he is always rated as the 7th or 8th best mid. There is only one better than him. People blow their trumpet over Pendles and rightfully so, but Mitchell sits beside him comfortably.

I had a bloke try to tell me at the pub last night that Mitchell "just doesn't hurt you with his disposal". I just had to walk away, and I have been secretly furious about the comment ever since!

I hope in another 6-7 years when he retires he is rated accordingly. Such a dead set gun.

Sam Mitchell will be regarded as one of Hawthorns greats when he retires
Shaun Burgoyne has been magnificent since the day he walked in the door at Hawthorn
Congratulations to the both of them:thumbsu:

Well said. Congrats to two deserving champions of the game and Hawthorn.

I still think Mitchell is underrated by neutrals. For some reason he is always rated as the 7th or 8th best mid. There is only one better than him. People blow their trumpet over Pendles and rightfully so, but Mitchell sits beside him comfortably.

I had a bloke try to tell me at the pub last night that Mitchell "just doesn't hurt you with his disposal". I just had to walk away, and I have been secretly furious about the comment ever since!

I hope in another 6-7 years when he retires he is rated accordingly. Such a dead set gun.
Doesn't hurt you with disposal? WTF? He would be one of the most damaging players in the league with ball in hand. That's what seperates him from the rest, not only can he go in and get it, but he is deadly with it........there's not many better. He is a freak. Should have given old mate a headbutt, might have knocked some sense into him. Collingwood clown no doubt.

Well done to Sam. You have done the no. 5 proud and I bet Crimmo will be looking down with a big smile. And well done to Burger too, (not bad for a ring in) have got us over the line more times than I can remember. Big win against the pussies then a big big win in a huge milestone game for two legends. Go Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, people who base their footballing views on jealousy rather than on actual football knowledge just need to be walked away from.

Congrats to Mitch and Silk. Fantastic players. Both so similar and yet so different. They both make it seem like time stands still when they have the ball and that is purely above the shoulders for both of them, I think. Always feel safe when they have the ball and I love seeing Burgoyne burst from a pack and roost goals from 60 out. Both players are tough as nails and epitomize the Hawthorn way. Lets make it a big win for both of them, they deserve it

Congrats to both champions.

In the HS on Sunday it mentioned that we have told Shaun he is part of our plans in 2015 with him feeling that he he has three more years left.
A great result considering his knee issues and the management required.

On another note Jordan Lewis will play his 200th game the following week.

In the HS on Sunday it mentioned that we have told Shaun he is part of our plans in 2015 with him feeling that he he has three more years left.
A great result considering his knee issues and the management required.
Wow 3 more years, that would put him almost level with games played for Port. Wonder how he will be remember by the general public if that was the case! A hawk or a power player :/ Always a hawk in our eyes now though.

Sammy's playing record:

View attachment 51686

Does this guy ever miss a match? LOL

I honestly think Mitch will play until he is 35-36.

Has no speed to lose, so wont lose toe. Has always been completely free of any soft tissue injuries. Cant remember him pinging a Hammy. Sam's footballing talent lies with his smarts, vision, and impeccable short passing and handballing on both sides. Cant see him losing this Ability with age, and it seems that for every one of his last 5 seasons, he has gotten even better.

He will be like Boomer harvey and perform well into his mid-late 30s I think.

I honestly think Mitch will play until he is 35-36.

Has no speed to lose, so wont lose toe. Has always been completely free of any soft tissue injuries. Cant remember him pinging a Hammy. Sam's footballing talent lies with his smarts, vision, and impeccable short passing and handballing on both sides. Cant see him losing this Ability with age, and it seems that for every one of his last 5 seasons, he has gotten even better.

He will be like Boomer harvey and perform well into his mid-late 30s I think.
I've been saying this for a while....
He'll be fine until he loses that sidestep.

When Sam Mitchell plays his 250th, he will join Greg Williams (250 career games), a player he has often been compared to throughout his career.

If Sam were to mantain his form for a while yet, I honestly beleive he could surpass Diesel as a player (not far off his equal now)!

For those who may miss the significance, aside from Ablett Jnr, I rate Diesel as the best midfielder I've ever seen. Sammy is just so underratted.

As for Shaun Burgoyne, his nickname of Silk is so apt and says it all - he is so ridiculously calm, collected and polished with the ball in hand, no matter the situation. His ability to go into the middle and turn a game when we're being beaten has saved our asses many a time. That little pass he did in the Essendon game sums him up perfectly - ALWAYS takes the best option.

Long may they both continue!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back