Sam Mitchell the equal of Greg 'Diesel' Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When I was a kid, Greg Williams was the best midfielder in the game. Despite having no physical attributes (short, slow, etc) he was dominant. He just kept winning the hard ball (highest disposal average of all time), had good feet and AMAZING hands (best I'd seen) but what really set him apart was his vision - he could find players no one else could. He was also a big game player (Norm Smith Medallist).

Whilst some may see this as reactionary after a great GF, Mitchell has been compared to Diesel for over a decade. He is similarly short and slow(almost identical physical profile), is just as prolific a ball winner and specializes in clearance work. He has INCREDIBLE hands and vision second to none (including Diesel). He is a big game player and just very similar to Diesel.

My contention is that he is every bit as good and now his equal.

Some may argue:
• Diesel has 2 Brownlows, but Mitchell has collected 24 more Brownlow votes (which is 7 more than Diesel's winning total of 17) at a higher rate and is still going strong. He also has more BOG's
• Others may point to the MVP but this is a popularity contest and Diesel was the biggest headline grabber of his time whilst Mitchell is never in the spotlight. Diesel was part of two massive Buddy style defections, racial vilification scandals, illegal player payments and big tribunal cases that had him on front and back pages and talked about in the media 24/7. He was in the forefront of everybody's mind all the time and his games were watched extra close.
• Finally, people have mentioned in the past his big game credentials, pointing to his Norm Smith. Mitchell, however, has now played 18 finals, experiencing 13 wins. He has been first tagged in every one (Ling, Crowley, etc) bar the '10 final vs Freo. Yet, he averages 28 possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles in finals, having had 29 plus in 12 of them and been BOG in most of these.

Mitchell has also been the best player in a side that has three flags, winning the B&F 4 times and finishing top 3 7 years running. Diesel won 2 B&F's and 1 premiership. Mitchell has gone past him on games, possessions, brownlow votes, tackles, etc.

The thing Diesel has over Mitchell (as everyone else does) is goals as Mitchell almost always looks for the pass, bringing others into the game.

So what does Bigfooty think? Is Mitchell the equal of Diesel?

Last edited:
I actually think this is just some line that the media trots out because they are too lazy to think of anything else. They're different players. Williams was a goalkicker and was very good at half-forward - Mitchell is not. Greg was an introvert, Mitchell is a leader and extrovert. Mitchell is also the most dual-sided player I've seen.

Apart from their physical dimensions and positions I don't see enough similarities to justify the constant comparisons.

Both Mitch and Diesel were overlooked and underated as youngsters , both overcame great odds and both became champions
of our game , great by both hand and foot , only matched by their massively brilliant peripheral vision . I see them as equals , end of the day Diesel
got 2 brownlows , 2 B&F's and 1 flag , Mitch 3 flags one of which was as the captain and 4 B&F's ( he aint yet retired so more
honors maybe in his future ) , i would judge them as equals .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams wasnt bad for a plodder, regularly raked up 40 possessions in an era where it was unusual for that to happen. Now yoi've got loose men in defence, outside runners/insider runners and christ knows what else. Diesel didnt, he just was. Mitchell is a great player, but not yet his equal. People forget that not only did he win two brownlows, he was top three in another two. hall of fame at two clubs, as well as team of the century at both.

Williams

• Team of the Century
    • AFL: interchange bench
    • Sydney/South Melbourne: centre
    • Carlton: centre
  • Hall of Fame
    • Australian Football: (inducted 2001)
    • Sydney/South Melbourne (inducted 2009)
    • Carlton: (inducted 1999)
  • Brownlow Medal
    • Winner: 1986, 1994
    • Placed: 1993 (2nd), 1989 (3rd)
  • VFL/AFL Players Association MVP: 1985, 1994
  • Club Best and Fairest
    • Geelong: 1985
    • Carlton: 1994
  • Premiership Player: 1995
  • Norm Smith Medal: 1995
  • All-Australian: 1986, 1987, 1993, 1994
    • As captain: 1994
    • As vice-captain: 1993
  • Victorian representative: 9 times
    • As captain: 1989
Hodge

Last edited:
I didn't see enough of Williams to know but his Brownlows and other awards suggest he was the best in the league for many years. While Mitchell as great as he is, isn't even the best in his own team

Don't know, but Mitchell is bloody good no doubt. Defies the odds physically and dominates. I'm a big fan of these types of players, because you know they couldn't have done it easy over their careers

They're both all-time greats, however peak Williams was possibly the best midfielder I've seen play the game. The guy had 53 disposals and kicked 6 goals in the same match - that's frightening. He should've been a three-time Brownlow Winner (robbed in 1993), however there were questions against his behind the play work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back