Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

From emergency to being dropped from the ressies. What a mighty fall

And yet the stats from last night say Sam had 2 touches, a goal and 11 hit outs. Must have played some game time?

Don't listen to grimlock, Slammin Sammy's stats say he played a total of 1min and 15 seconds game time and was whisked from the field and reprimanded by the club as there were AFL scouts from all the clubs watching and he was warned to hold back, we didn't want the 218cm beast to stand out.

Longmire said on 3AW today that Tippett will most likely do some ruck towards the end of the year , Nankervis a chance also
I would have thought Naismith would be ahead of Nanka? You would know being a ressies observer?

Where's baja to defend his man

I was under the impression Naismith was ahead of Nervous Nankervis thats why he was elevated but I respect Punts opinion both him and grimlock watch much more of the ressies than me therefore they are allowed to be wrong.

I was also under the impression if Naismith was to rest forward he is a much better shot on goal.

Have to laugh at a poster on the 3 things thread saying Naismith would be ahead of Nankervis , lol Naismith never took 1 mark in the game
Yeah that was me, never seen either in any real detail I just assumed because of the elevation, im glad I entertained you.

46 hit outs from Naismith impressive, obviously Nankervis with only 25 taps but 2 goals 1 played forward most of the game is their 'to advantage' stat to go with it? Also interested in a clearance stat.

bedford's wish has been granted. All debate between members of the Nankervis and Naismith bandwagons can go in here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Franklin and Tippo aand Reid around for a while, how will Sam and Nanka fit in? There can be only one (sorry). Is nankervis a good enough ruck to carry alone, and is Sammy a good enough around the ground to go alone?

I was under the impression Naismith was ahead of Nervous Nankervis thats why he was elevated but I respect Punts opinion both him and grimlock watch much more of the ressies than me therefore they are allowed to be wrong.

I was also under the impression if Naismith was to rest forward he is a much better shot on goal.

How much of Naismith have you watched baja?

I haven't seen much of him from junior level so quite interested to hear about his goal kicking (One of Nankervis's strongest attributes was his kicking for goal at under 18's level so it's interesting to hear that Naismith is a far better shot at goal).

22 disposals 10 marks 6 tackles 4 goals 26 hitouts

What are those stats you ask Mr. baja? Why I'll gladly tell you. They are numbers that Naismith can only achieve playing AFL live 2 on the PS3

NANKERS!

Naismith 46 HO, 5 disp, 2 tackles. Nankervis played more forward than ruck. The opposition rucks were rated too, they just got flogged. Naismith was very good last game too and got far more of the ball. Haven't found too many of these for Toby but there have been some I know.
'
NEAFL Player of the Week – Sam Naismith

This was Sam’s best game for the year. With 33 hit outs, he was able to give our on-ballers first look at the ball with some nice tap work and very good service. It was also pleasing to see him take some very good contested marks with good early bodywork and clean hands. Although his tackling numbers were down this week, his pressure around the ball was very good once again.

Key Stats: Nine kicks, 22 handballs, eight marks, one goal, 33 hit outs

Also a big wrap.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-07-17/naismiths-new-dimension

Last edited:
Yes but they're not relevant in this discussion

Sorry but HO are incredibly relevant. How can you tell who is the better tap ruckman without them? By the way your stats couldn't possibly be correct. Naismith has to have averaged more than one kick per game. The other thing is stats do not show 1%ers. Naismith is good on them.

Nankervis is playing more the second ruck tall forward role when Naismith plays. Mitchell did a bit of rucking too last week against Suns. We really did flog them in the ruck.

Naismith is the better tap ruckman and on baller. He is faster, more agile and better at the one percenters; tackles, intercepts, blocking, smothering. He is a beautiful field kick actually, when they allow him to kick. He can also rove his own ruck and is pretty quick and has some very fancy moves for a big man. If I was picking someone just for first ruck it would be Sam.

Toby is the better forward. His rucking in the forward line is good too. He is not better in the mids though. Slower, with less moves and doesn't do the as many of the one percenters as Naismith. But he kicks more goals when resting in the forward line. Mind you he spends much more time resting in the forward line. If I was picking someone for as a ruck/forward then Nankervis would be in the mix. But I am a bit worried about his lack of pace. This would be obvious at AFL level.

Mitchell. He is still learning. a work in progress. He seems to have gotten the hang of marking, literally. He kicks the ball like it were a tin can, very ugly. I have seem him miss a goal from 5 metres out, so maybe he will be the next Matty Richardson, who knows. He is still very much a junior.

Nankervis is playing more the second ruck tall forward role when Naismith plays. Mitchell did a bit of rucking too last week against Suns. We really did flog them in the ruck.

Naismith is the better tap ruckman and on baller. He is faster, more agile and better at the one percenters; tackles, intercepts, blocking, smothering. He is a beautiful field kick actually, when they allow him to kick. He can also rove his own ruck and is pretty quick and has some very fancy moves for a big man. If I was picking someone just for first ruck it would be Sam.

Toby is the better forward. His rucking in the forward line is good too. He is not better in the mids though. Slower, with less moves and doesn't do the as many of the one percenters as Naismith. But he kicks more goals when resting in the forward line. Mind you he spends much more time resting in the forward line. If I was picking someone for as a ruck/forward then Nankervis would be in the mix. But I am a bit worried about his lack of pace. This would be obvious at AFL level.

Mitchell. He is still learning. a work in progress. He seems to have gotten the hang of marking, literally. He kicks the ball like it were a tin can, very ugly. I have seem him miss a goal from 5 metres out, so maybe he will be the next Matty Richardson, who knows. He is still very much a junior.
Rubbish , there are far slower ruckman in the AFL than Nankervis and imo he is very agile for a big man and is a very good kick on both sides.

Rubbish , there are far slower ruckman in the AFL than Nankervis and imo he is very agile for a big man and is a very good kick on both sides.

Very good in the forward line situation and yes agile in that area but in the big arena in the ruck, reasonably slow. Not your Brody Grundy, Nic Nat, Paddy Rider, a bit more like the Pyke and I don't find Pyke particularly fast or highly mobile. They both know how to clunk the big one though. Nanka would have to play AFL to prove your point that there are slower ruckmen in the AFL. Belltowers is about the only one I can think of who would be slower. McEvoy maybe but I don't think so. Anyway he would be in the slower bracket. The emphasis now is very much on mobility and while he is mobile I think working with our wonderful sprints coach next year will quicken him up a but. It has done so for Sammy N

How much of Naismith have you watched baja?

I haven't seen much of him from junior level so quite interested to hear about his goal kicking (One of Nankervis's strongest attributes was his kicking for goal at under 18's level so it's interesting to hear that Naismith is a far better shot at goal).
Since when do you have to have seen a player play to be an expert on bigfooty? My goal kicking quote was me just wanting to use the term "shot on goal"..
As for the ruck argument its not as simple as whos the better player its more about who plays the better role for our team.
The two ruck situation changed when Mumford left, is the 'right' two ruckmen the better option in the future?

If not and Pyke goes down who fits better? We already have fire power forward and from reports Naismith seems to shoulder more of the ruck.. I can only go by reports and I dont mean just here so its really hard to make personal judgement without seeing much of both play but I will just to annoy Grimlock.

If not and Pyke goes down who fits better?
Don't the coaches believe in "like-for-like" replacements? It has to be the North American who transferred from another sport to become a ruckman with the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back