Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Unfortunately no bandwagon joining yet from me. Better luck next time Sam but that wasn't the best debut I've ever seen.

Not physically ready to play Ivan Maric in a cutthroat game like tonight. If he had debuted in a game like last week against the Dogs, I think he could have been serviceable but he was always going to struggle against the kind of physical intensity seen tonight. Tigers were bumping him every minute he was in ground and Maric killed him.

Hopefully he's better for it but he has a long way to go.

May be a bit harsh , but he was atrocious today. Looked as athletic as light post, skills were terrible, messed up nearly possession. Hopefully he can prove me wrong this year but he did not seem to show anything that he could build on

Jesus, we've got some high standards. He was perfectly decent for a young ruckman on debut. He won't keep his spot, because Pyke is loads better, but Pyke is one of the better ruckmen in the AFL so that's no surprise. And yes, he was comprehensively beaten by Maric, who is also one of the better ruckmen in the AFL.

I personally prefer Nankervis, but they went for the better tap ruckman with our number 1 ruckman out, and that's entirely fair enough.

You have to keep in mind he's a latecomer to the game, didn't play junior footy and his experience has been one season at SFL, missed almost one whole year in the NEAFL last year and really has had his first professional season this year in the NEAFL where the standard in the ruck is quite mixed.

You have to keep in mind he's a latecomer to the game, didn't play junior footy and his experience has been one season at SFL, missed almost one whole year in the NEAFL last year and really has had his first professional season this year in the NEAFL where the standard in the ruck is quite mixed.

I understand he comes from a different background, but at the end of they day, when he is picked , you judge him as a ruckmen and not on his history. He was not up to scratch today

Jesus, we've got some high standards. He was perfectly decent for a young ruckman on debut. He won't keep his spot, because Pyke is loads better, but Pyke is one of the better ruckmen in the AFL so that's no surprise. And yes, he was comprehensively beaten by Maric, who is also one of the better ruckmen in the AFL.

I personally prefer Nankervis, but they went for the better tap ruckman with our number 1 ruckman out, and that's entirely fair enough.

Well said, he was obviously well beaten but I doubt you could have expected much more of him under the circumstances.

I understand he comes from a different background, but at the end of they day, when he is picked , you judge him as a ruckmen and not on his history. He was not up to scratch today

At the end of the day what the hell do you expect from a first game ruckman let alone one from the aforementioned back ground.

Please tell me the last three ruckman in recent times that have won plaudits for the first game of their career, off the top of your head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui - 11 disposals 3 marks 7 hitouts 1 behind
Mumford - 5 disposals 5 hitouts 1 tackle
Sandilands - 8 disposals 4 marks 13 hitouts 1 tackle 1 goal

Niasmith - 6 disposals 1 mark 16 hitouts 3 tackles

To be honest I thought he did ok other than the rabbit in the headlights handball. But Pyke is a premiership ruck man and his handball last week was even worse.

As an aside did anyone note the tap in the last quarter towers did to mcveigh inside forward fifty where mcveigh didn't quite kick the goal. It was bloody Polly farmeresque !!

Naitanui, Mumford and Sandilands.

Naitanui was the 2nd pick of the 2008 draft, shane mumford had the same number of hit outs as naismith and one less disposal and as for sandilands he was drafted 13 years ago. All of these players played their first senior game over half a decade ago, if that's your definition of recent memory then fine but it sure isn't mine.

Yeah some real harsh criticism from some here.

First game. All our players were terrible in that first Q & a bit.
I thought his tap outs were terrific once he settled. He will be a hard ruckman to beat at centre bounces once he learns the trade. That won' be for a few years but what the Swans do well is give an up & comer a taste of the big time & now Sam has some idea of where he needs to get to in order to succeed at the next level.

Should Pyke get hurt then Sam has a game under his belt & I have no doubt the next one will be much better.

Go easy on him.

Naitanui was the 2nd pick of the 2008 draft, shane mumford had the same number of hit outs as naismith and one less disposal and as for sandilands he was drafted 13 years ago. All of these players played their first senior game over half a decade ago, if that's your definition of recent memory then fine but it sure isn't mine.

I'm pretty sure that is pretty recent and I couldn't give a **** what you think!

baja has not posted since Naismith stepped onto the field. I am concerned for his wellbeing.
I think he might have choked on his cornflakes while reading the ruck stats this morning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back