Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

You might find he is doing everything the coaches ask of him. They may have said take your defender away from goal etc or he might just be trying to provide a target up the field like Hally used to do to great effect. He is trying his heart out in my opinion and the effort is there not the execution. He was up against quality defenders regardless if we think they get cheapies. They get them by reading the play and being very effective at it. Reid won't get dropped unless he can't find form by the time LRT and Tippet are ready to go then it may be a consideration.

You might find he is doing everything the coaches ask of him. They may have said take your defender away from goal etc or he might just be trying to provide a target up the field like Hally used to do to great effect. He is trying his heart out in my opinion and the effort is there not the execution. He was up against quality defenders regardless if we think they get cheapies. They get them by reading the play and being very effective at it. Reid won't get dropped unless he can't find form by the time LRT and Tippet are ready to go then it may be a consideration.
100% Agree I was at the G last night and took time to watch him he is trying so hard even when he does not have the ball he is trying his heart out. We all need to lay of the pour kid he is 21 years old KPF taking the best backman weekly try being in his shoes the game is not easy.

100% Agree I was at the G last night and took time to watch him he is trying so hard even when he does not have the ball he is trying his heart out. We all need to lay of the pour kid he is 21 years old KPF taking the best backman weekly try being in his shoes the game is not easy.

Both Mooney and Hall said that they did not feel like they were really hitting their straps until they were 23 so hopefully the same is true of Reid.

We all need to lay of the pour kid he is 21 years old KPF taking the best backman weekly try being in his shoes the game is not easy.
Poor 20yo Jeremy Cameron has to take the best backman weekly, its a tough gig

Didn't do his confidence a lot of good to be sent down back but after subbing Marty out Horse might have realised he had bugger all defence left. Teddy, Grundy, Mal (held) and the powder puff twins.

It's getting frustrating but not everything can happen as soon as we want it. He might not dominate until 23-25, and he may never dominate at all.

It is a little annoying seeing someone like Lynch or Daw look so good on the weekend while Reid seems to have gone backwards but it's a wait and see approach and we have Tippett to come in and that will no doubt help Sam.

It's getting frustrating but not everything can happen as soon as we want it. He might not dominate until 23-25, and he may never dominate at all.

It is a little annoying seeing someone like Lynch or Daw look so good on the weekend while Reid seems to have gone backwards but it's a wait and see approach and we have Tippett to come in and that will no doubt help Sam.

Agreed. Even against GWS I just can't imagine Reid kicking 10 goals. In fact Reid never looks like he is capable of kicking a bag of goals.

I am so, so sick of people saying Tippett will help Reid. Judge him on his own merits, not on the basis of how he will perform with X player alongside him!

He really needs to start delivering asap before he gets too far behind . Has a lot more talent than Tom lynch and look what lynch was able to produce. Apart from the Brisbane game last year where he kicked 6 , he had never looked like kicking a bag. I'm staring to get sick of hearing he is only young, he is the same age a darling and he is now pretty much a 50+goal a season game, jeromy cameron regularly kick goals,' even daw who has played what 4 games?? Has matched reid for goals in a game . The time is now Reid, I don't expect him to kick a bag every week , but at least kick a goal every week and work up the ground and become a target

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's down on confidence and structure at the moment, both are which are hitting him real hard. And they're both leading into each other.

How many 21 year olds are expected to hold an entire undersized forward line together I wonder? Its little wonder he;s doing anything at this rate

He really needs to start delivering asap before he gets too far behind . Has a lot more talent than Tom lynch and look what lynch was able to produce. Apart from the Brisbane game last year where he kicked 6 , he had never looked like kicking a bag. I'm staring to get sick of hearing he is only young, he is the same age a darling and he is now pretty much a 50+goal a season game, jeromy cameron regularly kick goals,' even daw who has played what 4 games?? Has matched reid for goals in a game . The time is now Reid, I don't expect him to kick a bag every week , but at least kick a goal every week and work up the ground and become a target

Most of those guys do have better forwards around them than Reid does. Just sayin'.

Most of those guys do have better forwards around them than Reid does. Just sayin'.
He named 3 players. Tom Lynch was Adelaide's main key forward target. No Tippett or Walker there now, Jenkins was also around up there.

Jeremy Cameron is the GWS number one forward, one week I saw him 'supported' by their Sam Reid (who unlike ours is terrible)

Daw has Petrie, Hansen etc. Are they much better than Pyke and Goodes?

He didn't name Darling but when Kennedy was injured for an extended period he was their #1 key forward, often with LeCras also missing.

Of all those players, only Lynch doesn't have better forward support than Reid. We don't play any forwards other than Reid.

Pyke isn't a forward. Goodes isn't a forward. Morton is and he'll probably be sub again.

The Tippet/Reid combo will take some time to click but with a settled forward line our forward entries should improve. Add a rotating Goodes and a resting ruckman, mids running forward and a couple of goal sneaks for x-factor. Our midfield and defence are (reasonably) solid but we really haven't had a stable functional forward line since the Hall/Magic days. The day we list Tippet, Shaw, LRT, Rohan & AJ in our 22 will be a happy one. At least 3 of those players will be in for the latter part of the season (wouldn't bet on Rohan). It'd be great to have more depth but in the meantime our injuries mean we're uncovering new talent to step up to the plate when our premiership players begin to retire.

Reid's doing all he can and working his buns off when he's not getting the ball. He's young and talented. Maybe coming through the hard way is the making of the man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back