Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

lol not keen on Reid are you :p

I like him, just not sure this magical role he plays is any good for him, he doesnt get the ball much, i think he is losing confidence and is basically paid to run out of the way at the moment.

Just see a role going forward down back potentially

I am probably looking beyond this year more so than now

I like him, just not sure this magical role he plays is any good for him, he doesnt get the ball much, i think he is losing confidence and is basically paid to run out of the way at the moment.

Just see a role going forward down back potentially

I am probably looking beyond this year more so than now

Yer i know however not much is going to change for this year and i dont think Membrey will offer anything more so it is what it is, like i understand if Reid position was being challenged by someone else who could give us more but they really isnt.

We tried Reid as a loose in defence and he looked lost in that position as well.

2015 is going to be VERY interesting in terms of how our squad would look like, expect a cut similar to the end of 2013.

Just like discussing what we get from him or any player, just opinion, as long as we win i dont care :p

I agree with you that i would love Reid to become a KP defender as our depth in that area is quite poor compared to other areas.

I think it was a damning thing i mentioned in the game day thread watching on TV i mentioned if Reid was injured because i didnt see him for a whole quarter.

Don't underestimate the quality of the opposition he requires. Yes I agree he could produce better if conditions were different.

I've noticed Reid playing loose at the back particularly towards the end of quarters, giving Ted and Reg chopouts and just trying to make sure we stop opposition momentum before going into breaks. Which would also mean he is doing his job by just standing in holes, which wouldn't do his possession count any good but be lauded by Horse and co. A real niche role.

And he is really starting to physically fill out. Those broad shoulder bones are starting to take on muscle.

One of the first picked, IMO.

Opinions as we all know are like a-holes. Everyone's got one and they all stink. And mine is the prettiest.

What I'm saying is that you're wrong.

Watching a replay of the game he started really well. And in fact we directed play through him a fair bit - probably a tactic to throw spanner in the works of the Saints game plan to smother Tippo and Buddy early. Unfortunately, he didn't take the marks. But he had a fair crack at bringing down a couple of early screamers. He was the tall forward on the move, with Buddy and Tippo both leading from the square early.

Not really sure what the agenda is for those questioning his role? People are entitled to their opinions, I guess. And wanting more is a birth right of every supporter. But it's not as if there is another player with his talents that he's holding out of the side. 22 years old, guys. 22. Seriously. He'll be right.

Did I mention he was only 22?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid shouldnt be compared to the lrt type role with his talent imo, thats a waste

No LRT, no 2005 & 2012 p'ships.

Reid can thank LRT for his 2012 p'ship medallion.

That game alone, Reid looked as though he had the more talent but it was LRT that I remember the most, taking mark after mark in the last Q down back alongside an injured Teddy, when the Hawks were charging forward.

There is no doubt that Reid COULD be a star in the Melbourne forward line.:eek:

That game alone, Reid looked as though he had the more talent but it was LRT that I remember the most, taking mark after mark in the last Q down back alongside an injured Teddy, when the Hawks were charging forward.

Reid actually had a pretty good 2012 GF.

LRT deservedly gets the plaudits for his 7 marks as you said. But Reid's 13 disposals. 3 tackles and that one cracking goal were quality contributions.

They would need to get the ball to him though.

LRT was senbloodysational dont get me wrong

but he was heart and guts hardly a talent

Reid actually had a pretty good 2012 GF.

LRT deservedly gets the plaudits for his 7 marks as you said. But Reid's 13 disposals. 3 tackles and that one cracking goal were quality contributions.

They would need to get the ball to him though.

LRT was senbloodysational dont get me wrong

but he was heart and guts hardly a talent

I agree that Reid has more raw talent but give me a player that uses 95% of his talent resources in 80% of the games he plays rather than one who uses 50% of his talent resources on 50% of the games he plays.

I believe the role Reid is now playing for the team means he is getting the most out of his attributes more consistently for the sake of team balance.

Hence why we sit on top.

I agree that Reid has more raw talent but give me a player that uses 95% of his talent resources in 80% of the games he plays rather than one who uses 50% of his talent resources on 50% of the games he plays.

I believe the role Reid is now playing for the team means he is getting the most out of his attributes more consistently for the sake of team balance.

Hence why we sit on top.

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest Reid has replaced or even equalled LRT's efforts. But he could do worse than aspire to contribute in the same way.

Thinking back, I remember Cam Mooney, Hall, Hawkins, Chris Grant and many other big men basically being pilloried in their early 20's. Hell even Buddy copped some brief criticism for a while there at the Hawks when his Box hill form wasn't coming through at AFL level.

Not that they're all similar players. But it's more about the length of time KP forwards take to develop. Often they end up in the back line to shield them from external criticism (often from the fans but also from impatient coaching staff).

The task for the Swans is to skill him up, show patience, and continue his development so that things don't stall and he gets left into the 'what if' category.

For me, Reid (and also some of the younger Ruckmen coming through) is a test case whether our club can prove it has the ability to develop a big man as successfully as we've managed to do with our defenders and mids over the last 20 years.

Personally, I cannot think of a better cadetship for him than training with Tippo and Buddy and learning how to go about it.

Meanwhile, the ladder tells me he is doing his job.

Hence why we sit on top.

Then reid is the highest paid decoy in the AFL, because all he does it run out of the other forwards way and give pyke a few minutes rest.

I guess so.
Who replaces Sam to make our team better?

Maybe we go shorter.

Id like to see Reid back after this year

It all depends wether Tippett can ruck.

If Reid stays he needs to do more, if not give Membrey a go

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. I felt the need to find out what other people think about Sam Reid. I just don't feel he is good enough and is a passenger on this team, and I don't see the development he seemed to promise a few years ago. He's played plenty of games this year and is kicking under a goal a game, 0.2 goal assists, 1 contested grab and one mark inside 50.
9 of his 19 games this year he has gone goalless, including hawks, geelong, port, hawks, port and our 2 finals. He goes missing in the big games and has not kicked one single goal against a top 4 team. In fact, he's only kicked 5 against the top 8!
I know stats dont tell the whole story but he's shaky in front of goal and appears to be beaten most weeks by the 3rd or 4th defender. Horse reckons his defensive game is pretty good, but he only lays 2.4 tackles (Buddy averages 3.1).
Now that he's under an injury cloud, why would we persist with him? We can push Cunningham (or even McGlynn) up the ground, bring in Mitchell (or god forbid we bring back O'Keefe into the forward line, I'm sure he would do more damage).

Dollars to donuts if they play him in our starting line up, he will try his heart out, get less than 10 disposals, no goals and subbed in the third.
Can anyone explain what I'm missing about this guy and why we go with him every week? The Granny is no place to continue his achingly slow development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back