Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

It is about expectations
Im not expecting him to be a buddy or hawkins
but i sure as hell want him to be better than a spangher, who has half the talent that Reid has, and probably playing for 200k
He is playing a dummy role on 500k, and hasnt really improved his game from 2012
Hasnt got bigger, barely seen him win a one on one body contest

After 5 yrs in the system and with his talent i expect better than spangher and LRT from Reid

So you want to drop him because he hasn't lived up to expectations, not because it would be beneficial to the team?

I have no idea why someone would compare him to Franklin, that's just silly. Fairer to compare him to someone like Taberner, Sinclair, McGovern or Frost. Taberner's a good comparison, 197cm mobile tall forward also holding down a spot in a top 4 side.
I don't think anyone is comparing him.

Reid is in an unfortunate position of playing secon- no wait, third or fourth fiddle. A couple of times even in the prelim he was in a position to take the grab but left it to buddy. Doesn't help that the team is pretty buddy-conscious.

I think people seriously underrate his versatility. Who else can sit forward, hop in the ruck, play at the centre bounce, or go back and take a game-saving mark or tap (v port adelaide this year anyone?)? I trust the coaching staff if they're going to pick him every week. He's still young, KP take time. No doubt he'll be a star, but that wont happen if he's out the side.

Regarding Reid out for Mitchell, there's only so much grunt you need.

Last edited:
Richards isn't going to be around much longer; we need to start transitioning Reid to defence rather than just dump him as a spare man with 5 mins left in the quarter. That's where his potential lies, not as a decoy 4th forward with Buddy and co already commanding the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have any KP depth, as some have been saying for a while turn him into a KD, let Richards play 3rd tall. Ted absolutely cannot be playing on the best forwards week in week out if we want to somehow get back to the GF and try to redeem ourselves for wasting probably their best chance ever.
Turn Reid into the KD we need, has the height and reach to go with the bigger taller forwards too. Ted and Reg are seriously undersized against some of these players.

We don't have any KP depth, as some have been saying for a while turn him into a KD, let Richards play 3rd tall. Ted absolutely cannot be playing on the best forwards week in week out if we want to somehow get back to the GF and try to redeem ourselves for wasting probably their best chance ever.
Turn Reid into the KD we need, has the height and reach to go with the bigger taller forwards too. Ted and Reg are seriously undersized against some of these players.

He gets pushed off the ball by much smaller opponents now, how do you expect him to go against the likes of roughy etc.

He certainly has the physical attributes to be a very good defender, I just don't think he has the mental toughness and desperation

It is going to be a long game autopsy...Reid was terrible but he wasn't the only one
He wasn't anywhere near the worst on field. Sure he dropped marks but ******* hell they were kicked over his head. There was one on the wing that was kicked to him that just sailed over his head. People were blasting him when he couldn't mark it in a 1v3.

Send him to the reserves and teach him CHB. Or swap him for his brother.

I never want to see Richards minding someone the size of Puopolo again.

i think if Reid is playing as a kpd we will hopefully have the flexibility to find Teddy a good matchup that would allow him to zone off his opponent and do a lot of intercept marking and third man up's.

Reid is in an unfortunate position of playing secon- no wait, third or fourth fiddle. A couple of times even in the prelim he was in a position to take the grab but left it to buddy. Doesn't help that the team is pretty buddy-conscious.

I think people seriously underrate his versatility. Who else can sit forward, hop in the ruck, play at the centre bounce, or go back and take a game-saving mark or tap (v port adelaide this year anyone?)? I trust the coaching staff if they're going to pick him every week. He's still young, KP take time. No doubt he'll be a star, but that wont happen if he's out the side.

Regarding Reid out for Mitchell, there's only so much grunt you need.

Right now he is not doing any of those well though. No good being versatile if your just playing s**t in every position.

Whilst the players were overall ordinary and bullied out of it without any response...the job done in coaches box wasn't exactly GF standard. How hard was it to bloody well go man on man......why did why persist with the spare...it was ridiculous. We needed to change things up pretty early and didn't do it....was insipid on and off the field.

I am not sure of the emotions...at least I was able to deal with the losing fact about 5 minutes into the second quarter and just sat their listening to this very irritating Hawks fan going ballistic at every single play and I could not respond to him because I had nothing ... just really disappointing our side could perform at such a low level... Port must be kicking themselves at their lost opportunity.

Anyway.....Good luck to the Hawks, they are an unbelievable team extremely well coached and if we take nothing else out of yesterday as a team its the lesson they taught us in old fashioned in your face 'unsociable' football...I hope we develop that sort of mongrel for next year.

Last edited:
He played an absolutely terrible Gf that's for sure
He is no orphan there.....if that's the measure then we say goodbye to McVeigh, Jack, Rohan, Jetta, Parker, McGlynn, Rampe, plus plus plus need I say more...

If Goodes retires, Reid then has a legitimate 3rd tall role which he can make his own. Another pre season, get a little bigger and he will be valuable for us. Down back we probably say bye to Shaw....who I thought battled hard yesterday and flick McVeigh to permanent defensive/ distributor role across half back. Jetta is the interesting one for me...he has lost his running game yet everyone keeps talking about it (not just yesterday....he was bashed out of it) he has sublime skills in delivering the ball so his role really needs reinventing if he stays.

However, we aint that broken....saving our worst for last means that's our memory for this year. We were the best team throughout the home and away and the second best throughout the finals. And have 22 players, the majority of whom will be back next year with some unenviable GF records now that need to be atoned.

The sun came up this morning.

He is no orphan there.....if that's the measure then we say goodbye to McVeigh, Jack, Rohan, Jetta, Parker, McGlynn, Rampe, plus plus plus need I say more...

If Goodes retires, Reid then has a legitimate 3rd tall role which he can make his own. Another pre season, get a little bigger and he will be valuable for us. Down back we probably say bye to Shaw....who I thought battled hard yesterday and flick McVeigh to permanent defensive/ distributor role across half back. Jetta is the interesting one for me...he has lost his running game yet everyone keeps talking about it (not just yesterday....he was bashed out of it) he has sublime skills in delivering the ball so his role really needs reinventing if he stays.

However, we aint that broken....saving our worst for last means that's our memory for this year. We were the best team throughout the home and away and the second best throughout the finals. And have 22 players, the majority of whom will be back next year with some unenviable GF records now that need to be atoned.

The sun came up this morning.
I wouldn't play Reid forward, I'm put him in the gym, bulk him up and play him as the new CHB and push Richards out to the 3rd tall role, or vice-versa. His time as a power forward, or a forward in general has ended. The only time he should play forward from now on is to pinch hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back