Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Have to agree. Send him down back as a KPD, he honestly couldn't do any worse than what he is showing as a forward then get B.Jack and Membrey in side to replace him up forward. Already have the height with Franklin and Tippett in the forward half.

FFS get rid of him before everyone else realises how bloody useless he is.

Probably repeating what everyone else has already mentioned, but as a long time defender of Reid (excuse the pun), it's clear to me now that he isn't up to scratch as that 3rd or 4th tall. He isn't marking it like I thought he would and just takes up space which otherwise would be used for a defensive or small forward. If he's going to line up (if at all) in the same role next year, which I highly doubt, then something is seriously wrong with coaching staff.

Enough with the decoy forward/pinch hitting ruck/spare man in defence with 5 mins left bs. Doesn't work. Move him back, or move him out. Simple as that.

There are not many guys getting around as athletic as Reid.

He is very quick for 196cm a very good leap , sometimes takes a good mark.

Has everything you need to make it but maybe not the brains.

i know he is only 23 but imo His time forward is up.

Pre season move him onto Buddy/Tippett a try him at CHB , something we need.

Needs to re invent himself.

What happened to his marking?

How is that he was a better mark at 18/19 than he is at 22. In his first 2 seasons he was plucking everything with ease.
Was thinking the same thing today , when he first came on the seen he was taking big pack marks most weeks.

How many contested marks did he take this year ?

As much as i bag his shite form its no wonder

A defender thrown forward as basically the man then chucked out of the way after a decent grand final

Had a few injuries

Asked to ruck

I mean what the hell do we want him to be!

Was thinking the same thing today , when he first came on the seen he was taking big pack marks most weeks.

How many contested marks did he take this year ?

Averages:

2010: 1
2011: 1.96
2012: 1.41
2013: 1.4
2014: 1

So basically his contested marking is getting worse as he gets older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to his marking?

How is that he was a better mark at 18/19 than he is at 22. In his first 2 seasons he was plucking everything with ease.
Teams have worked him out, just don't give him a clear jump at the ball.

Was watching the 2012 season review to cheer myself up a bit and besides noticing how good Jetta was all year you also notice how much better Sam Reid was as the lone key forward.

He can't play with Tippett and Franklin but I'd like to see him properly tried down back before getting rid of him.
They talked about this on radio today saying some players go backwards ( not being the main man ) when playing with other big forwards such as Sam does with Tippett and Buddy.

Example was Shultz and Richo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back