Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Take picks 25 & 26 and run. Our first pick (17/18) will be gone with Heeney. Use one of those picks to pick best KPD.
To risky imo to take late picks like that

I don't think picks in the mid 20's have ever been classified as 'late picks', but if you were to just target a rookie KPD, I suggest that you should probably stick with Reid for at least another year and play him at CHB for the whole year, even if that is at NEAFL level.

I still think he can be a very good player..

If we trade out Reid who is left to fill in for an injury to a KPP?

Our stock of talls is fairly limited.

Rucks; Pyke, Derrickx (journeyman), Naismith & Nankervis (1 game between them), P. Mitchell (hmm)
KPF; Tippett, Franklin, Reid
KPD; Grundy, Richards, XR & AA (1 game between them), AJ (u/a 2015)

And that is the list our 190cm plus players with the exception of Goodes (presumably last year) and Laidler (at 190cm 3rd up defender at best)

And people want to trade out Reid for speculative 2nd rd picks?

I don't think picks in the mid 20's have ever been classified as 'late picks', but if you were to just target a rookie KPD, I suggest that you should probably stick with Reid for at least another year and play him at CHB for the whole year, even if that is at NEAFL level.

I still think he can be a very good player..
I agree with this. He hasn't had a full year at CHB. Give him that and we don't have to draft anyone for that position

Reg to FB, Richards I don't think has another year. Or is better on the 3rd tall. Rampe to Mal/Shaw's role.

That's your opinion on Richards not having another year. As much as I said Reg is a rock at CHB his pace and turning circle on the last line with a fast leading forward would be suicide. Heath Grundy cannot play Fullback.

Richards better than Reg.
White's final season for swans was good. Better ground level, better kick, Reid better mark. No point taking a screamer when you miss 'em from in front.

Right now I can't see him becoming the player I thought he was going to become. I still remember being at the ground for the 2011 final against St Kilda and watching Reid mark anything that came near him. It was almost like watching a young Nick Riewoldt.

I don't quite understand why so many want to write off a 22 year old KPP who has shown glimpses of good things. He's had to deal with being pushed out of position by Tippett and Franklin so he's no longer standing at FF grabbing everything. Next year is an important development year for him, particularly if he's switched to defence as rumoured.

I don't quite understand why so many want to write off a 22 year old KPP who has shown glimpses of good things. He's had to deal with being pushed out of position by Tippett and Franklin so he's no longer standing at FF grabbing everything. Next year is an important development year for him, particularly if he's switched to defence as rumoured.

My expectations were pretty high to be honest. I thought by now he would have been a 40 goal a year player.
I am still willing to wait and let him develop, I am just less confident than ever that he will be the prospect we all hoped he would be.

My expectations were pretty high to be honest. I thought by now he would have been a 40 goal a year player.
I am still willing to wait and let him develop, I am just less confident than ever that he will be the prospect we all hoped he would be.
That's fair enough. I thought he'd be following a similar track to Jack Gunston, but I'd probably be even happier if he turned in to a gun CHB.

Reid is a spud. I have said it before and shot down many times but he keeps proving his spudness.
The kid ( not proven to be a man yet) is soft , lacks effort and to quote myself " has cement hands"(sometimes/mostly).
Horse keeps going on about how 'footy smart' he is , but who cares. Horse keeps trotting out that line because of reids overpriced tag.
I WANT REID TO PROVE ME WRONG.
But honestly, I can not see that happening.
Note to Beatson: Contract was too long for a kid.

POSITIVE: his personal review that was on Swans web site was partly correct & true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid is a spud. I have said it before and shot down many times but he keeps proving his spudness.
The kid ( not proven to be a man yet) is soft , lacks effort and to quote myself " has cement hands"(sometimes/mostly).
Horse keeps going on about how 'footy smart' he is , but who cares. Horse keeps trotting out that line because of reids overpriced tag.

POSITIVE: his personal review that was on Swans web site was partly correct & true.
jeez, harsh and way off. Once Horse starts dropping him, instead of singing his praises, you can start that crap. That goes for all of you bagging him. Plenty of time left for him, and he has done what's asked of him...BY THE COACH.

Geez I hope that was at least partly tongue in cheek... If not, I feel sorry you feel like that about one of our players. I have an amazing sense of pride and expectation in our players and playing group. Sammy in particular. Look at the glimpses he's shown and look at his age and his developmental history. Thrown all over the place but still young. He's pulling figures similar to LRT and at his age should only get better in the next 3-5 years until he hits his peak.

I understand the negativity. I remember doing a very similar thing with LRT all those years ago... Man was I wrong and so very happy to be so. I have told myself to never be the same again. Respect the fact they are all young men trying to compete at the very highest level and some of them can excel early, others later and some never seem to do much at all (however I'm sure they wouldn't get games if they weren't playing a role etc). Reid needs time to build confidence. It's clear he needs to own a role, I just hope the club don't keep doing the Jesse White management plan on him and move him season to season. I think Horse senses he has a slow burner in Reidy and can see what he can become with the right development. He's exposing him to all the key areas he wants him to become success in slowly over time. Firstly, a few years carrying the FF on his teenage shoulders. Then some ruck work and a high wing type role. More rucking and a shift to defence. Then this next year hopefully more as a key defensive role with some rucking thrown in. Has essentially moved him from FF down the ground steadily to a key defensive role. And he will be better for it in the long run IMO.

EDIT: But I hope that's it for a while. Give him a few years in defence & part time rucking where needed. Try to give him a few years holding down a defensive post like he did holding down a forward role before Tippo and Buddy got here.

At what age was Grundy moved to key backman? Besides a great game against the bulldogs in like 05, 06 and an amazing mark once he hadn't done much as a forward. He went back and is part of a defensive unit that is one the best in the comp!!

Reid is still young and "big men take time". Imagine we get a defensive player like Grundy out of him! Not to mention, Nick Davis has already helped him with kicking so he won't have the heart-in-your-mouth moments that Grundy has!!

At what age was Grundy moved to key backman? Besides a great game against the bulldogs in like 05, 06 and an amazing mark once he hadn't done much as a forward. He went back and is part of a defensive unit that is one the best in the comp!!

Reid is still young and "big men take time". Imagine we get a defensive player like Grundy out of him! Not to mention, Nick Davis has already helped him with kicking so he won't have the heart-in-your-mouth moments that Grundy has!!

Leo Barry was the same. His career at the Swans was almost over until we moved him to defense as a 23-24 year old.

Geez I hope that was at least partly tongue in cheek... If not, I feel sorry you feel like that about one of our players. I have an amazing sense of pride and expectation in our players and playing group. Sammy in particular. Look at the glimpses he's shown and look at his age and his developmental history. Thrown all over the place but still young. He's pulling figures similar to LRT and at his age should only get better in the next 3-5 years until he hits his peak.

I understand the negativity. I remember doing a very similar thing with LRT all those years ago... Man was I wrong and so very happy to be so. I have told myself to never be the same again. Respect the fact they are all young men trying to compete at the very highest level and some of them can excel early, others later and some never seem to do much at all (however I'm sure they wouldn't get games if they weren't playing a role etc). Reid needs time to build confidence. It's clear he needs to own a role, I just hope the club don't keep doing the Jesse White management plan on him and move him season to season. I think Horse senses he has a slow burner in Reidy and can see what he can become with the right development. He's exposing him to all the key areas he wants him to become success in slowly over time. Firstly, a few years carrying the FF on his teenage shoulders. Then some ruck work and a high wing type role. More rucking and a shift to defence. Then this next year hopefully more as a key defensive role with some rucking thrown in. Has essentially moved him from FF down the ground steadily to a key defensive role. And he will be better for it in the long run IMO.

EDIT: But I hope that's it for a while. Give him a few years in defence & part time rucking where needed. Try to give him a few years holding down a defensive post like he did holding down a forward role before Tippo and Buddy got here.

I don't disagree with most of your post, but the bolded section doesn't make sense to me. How was Jesse White moved from season to season? For both him and Reid, he has been played in some different positions because they just didn't make any progress in the same position over an extended period of time. I've got much more patience for Reid than I did for White, but he still needs to show much more next year than he has in the past 2-3. Also, LRT has been a great at playing his role and always gave 100%, but I don't think he should be the benchmark for us to compare young key forward prospects to.

I don't disagree with most of your post, but the bolded section doesn't make sense to me. How was Jesse White moved from season to season? For both him and Reid, he has been played in some different positions because they just didn't make any progress in the same position over an extended period of time. I've got much more patience for Reid than I did for White, but he still needs to show much more next year than he has in the past 2-3. Also, LRT has been a great at playing his role and always gave 100%, but I don't think he should be the benchmark for us to compare young key forward prospects to.

I don't think Reid is experienced enough to play the role like LRT, LRT read the play perfectly in the GF seamlessly slotting down back and taking game saving marks.

Reid doesn't have the capacity yet he looks completely lost on the field.

LRT read the play perfectly in the GF seamlessly slotting down back and taking game saving marks.

Who would have said that before the game? I was unlucky, I got LRT and Judd in the rafl. shots each disposal. I thought i was in the clear with LRT. but no. I love him.

I don't think Reid is experienced enough to play the role like LRT, LRT read the play perfectly in the GF seamlessly slotting down back and taking game saving marks.

Reid doesn't have the capacity yet he looks completely lost on the field.

He looks lost because the role he played in our premiership year (as a twenty year old might I add) has been superseded by the acquisitions of Tippett and the Bud. Despite what Longmire says, I believe were it not for the AFL imposed trade ban we would have shopped Reid around a bit. As a 22 year old he is still a strong KF prospect in a side where his role is clearly defined (not as a third or fourth tall..). As it is he remains at the club and the only way forward for us and Reid is to play him down back, and see if he can grasp the opportunity with a clearly defined role like he did as a 20 year old CHF.

Leo Barry was the same. His career at the Swans was almost over until we moved him to defense as a 23-24 year old.

Add Reg Grundy to that list as well, and also Ted Richards. Grundy played as a KPF and Richards as a high HFF/winger. Both have made their careers since being moved into defense. With Tippett and Franklin as well as Goodes playing on, the only role Reid fills in the team is as a KPD.

Add Reg Grundy to that list as well, and also Ted Richards. Grundy played as a KPF and Richards as a high HFF/winger. Both have made their careers since being moved into defense. With Tippett and Franklin as well as Goodes playing on, the only role Reid fills in the team is as a KPD.
Would he actually be capable of playing as a CHB. Even though he is 22, he hasnt got that much bigger or stronger since his 2011 season. I worry if we play him there that he would just get rag dolled by the stronger CHF in the comp, infact they dont even have to be that strong, as a 1 on 1 player Reid isnt that good. I think he would be suited for 3rd tall role in defense, but we dont really have that luxury with the diminishing Richards.

Hopefully he hits the gym hard and sets himself up for a good 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back