Past Sam Sheldon (2007-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was by far his best game for the club. However he still looks extremely skinny for someone that has been in the system for 4 years now. I would have thought that he would have gotten a bit bigger. Anyway great game from Sammy last night, I really hope he does make it!

Could just be a body shape thing. Some blokes never bulk up, but they certainly strengthen up (e.g. D. White & J. Brennan).

Best game for the club. Seemed to adapt well to the pace of the game. Was one of the few players who handled the ball well in the wet conditions. Hard at it but also got his share of the ball. Positive signs.

Surprised he was only credited with 10 disposals. It looked like he was more involved than that. I was pleased that he was able to show some nous and look a little more threatening than he has in the past.

Seems to be a shade faster and quite a bit surer when gathering the ball than in the past. Good signs. Still needs to find an actual role to fill though. If his kicking has improved on previous years then perhaps half-forward could suit him.

Surprised he was only credited with 10 disposals. It looked like he was more involved than that. I was pleased that he was able to show some nous and look a little more threatening than he has in the past.

Definitely a game that would prove stats don't mean everything. Some of his work around the packs, while not earning him stats, would've earned massive points from Vossy.

There didn't seem to be any concern about his hardness or enthusiasm before, just his effectiveness. If he's ramped that up, good on him.
Agree - on a dry track under the Dome against a tricky opponent. Hmm. Well done anyway - was prominent late which I guess showed how much North dropped the bundle.

I'm prepared to call it, Cousin Jed is as safe as houses and this should be Sheldon's last season at Brisbane.

Sheldon's performance against Sydney tonight confirms everything I have been pointing out about him for the last two and a half years. As is usually the case, he didn't get a lot of the football and when he did he butchered it. In the first three quarters he did not get a single kick and only two kicks in the last quarter, the first of which went to an opponent and the second went to an opponent after going out on the full. Of his four handballs, the one he had in the last quarter missed the intended target, Green, by three metres and went out of bounds. I don't know about his other three handballs, but I do know he also gave away a 50 metre penalty that led to a Sydney goal.

In essence, we went in a man short tonight.

I'm prepared to call it, Cousin Jed is as safe as houses and this should be Sheldon's last season at Brisbane.

Sheldon's performance against Sydney tonight confirms everything I have been pointing out about him for the last two and a half years. As is usually the case, he didn't get a lot of the football and when he did he butchered it. In the first three quarters he did not get a single kick and only two kicks in the last quarter, the first of which went to an opponent and the second went to an opponent after going out on the full. Of his four handballs, the one he had in the last quarter missed the intended target, Green, by three metres and went out of bounds. I don't know about his other three handballs, but I do know he also gave away a 50 metre penalty that led to a Sydney goal.

In essence, we went in a man short tonight.

Which is really disappointing as everyone else played so well.

3KZ your continuous whipping of Sheldon is becoming tiring. Time to find a new topic. Sheldon like quite a few others are playing for there careers at the Lions. Everybody is aware of that. Are you aware that everybody is aware of that?

3KZ your continuous whipping of Sheldon is becoming tiring. Time to find a new topic. Sheldon like quite a few others are playing for there careers at the Lions. Everybody is aware of that. Are you aware that everybody is aware of that?

Ok Nuggo, Im sorry. You are right. I promise not to post on the Sam Sheldon thread again.

I might post on matchday threads when the topic is who should be selected and who should be omitted, but I won't mention Sheldon by name or go on about how poor some of his performances have been.

At the same time, in the event he comes good, I will take every post which calls on me to eat a big slab of humble pie with good grace and freely admit I was wrong and in this instance, a very poor judge of footballing potential.

I take your point entirely and thank you for making it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheldon deserves to be butchered more than anyone else. He is like a boy who hasn't reached puberty! He is the worst player that we have drafted since the glory days! Moody, Pask, Allan and Harding were superstars compared to him. He has done nothing good at this level for us! Vossy is better off getting someone from the crowd to play for us instead of him!

3KZ, you would be please to know that Sam was singled out on 'After the Bounce' on Fox last night by Gerard Whately on a segment called 'Coach Savers' or something for impressive acts in play. Sam was highlighted for his willingness to attack the ball, I think in the 3rd call IIRC, when he knew he would get crunched.

I must say, at the time, I was very impressed with his willingness to attack the ball in that contest. That passage of play may even have resulted in a goal. Well done no.3!;)

3KZ, you would be please to know that Sam was singled out on 'After the Bounce' on Fox last night by Gerard Whately on a segment called 'Coach Savers' or something for impressive acts in play. Sam was highlighted for his willingness to attack the ball, I think in the 3rd call IIRC, when he knew he would get crunched.

I must say, at the time, I was very impressed with his willingness to attack the ball in that contest. That passage of play may even have resulted in a goal. Well done no.3!;)

I let out an involuntary "C'MON SAMMY!!!" when he did that. Was a fantastic bit of commitment. Was nice to see Gerard give him a wrap.

Re: Round 15 - Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide

Nice interview by Sheldon on 989 after the game.
Happy to be finally improving ,knows he and the team has a long way to go but will keep trying.
Grateful to Vossy for sticking with him.

Best game for his career and well done to him.

It feels good to get a win doesnt it , can only imagine how relieved the players and coaches are..

He cops his fair share of criticism, and justifiably so, but Sheldon was reasonable today. His defensive work is improving every week - 7 tackles is a good effort for an almost permanent forward. He still has his "deer in the headlights" moments but he also did some good stuff with ball in hand. Probably just an Indian summer performance but at least this week he should retain his spot without too many questions being asked.

He cops his fair share of criticism, and justifiably so, but Sheldon was reasonable today. His defensive work is improving every week - 7 tackles is a good effort for an almost permanent forward. He still has his "deer in the headlights" moments but he also did some good stuff with ball in hand. Probably just an Indian summer performance but at least this week he should retain his spot without too many questions being asked.

Kicked a couple :thumbsu:, & that is the difference. Today, for the first time, he hurt the opposition offensively.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I really think Sheldon will come good. Some very impressive 'one percenters,' as they're fashionably called these days. I think 80% of his troubles are confidence related.

There's just something there.

Clearly played his best game and I have often been one to call him to be dropped. He still looks a little terrified when he kicks the ball after taking a mark, but nailed a few goals (sometimes he looked suprised they went though). Really just needs to get a bit of arrogance and confidence about his play, start thinking hes awesome and he probably will start to play like it. Does have nice pace and his tackling what the best i've seen it all year.

Now his challenge will be to string 2 good performance together, i'll reserve judgement, but I won't be calling for his head this week.

God Job Sheldon!

ZERO tackles today according to the AFL website. :thumbsdown:

Might be an idea to watch, rather than rely on a stats sheet. He did a good whack of defensive work. I don't know who records 'pressure act' stats, but they'd probably be worth comparing to the listed effective tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back