Past Sam Sheldon (2007-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

I could be wrong, but that goal he kicked on Saturday night was remarkably similar to the goal he missed early in the semi final against the Dogs in 2009...don't know why, just had that feel to it...at least he kicked truly this time.

I could be wrong, but that goal he kicked on Saturday night was remarkably similar to the goal he missed early in the semi final against the Dogs in 2009...don't know why, just had that feel to it...at least he kicked truly this time.

Yeah almost identical.

I was already having deja vu before he kicked it. Was pleased to see him finish, although it felt like he ran about 25 metres without bouncing.

That spot up of McGrath running into goal was actually very impressive.

I thought he was one of our better players, to be honest. Always seemed to be nearby when the ball was around our half-forwardline.

Still not sure what his future is though. I can't see him getting a game in a top eight side.

Round 23 vs West Coast

But on top of Staker’s injury, Sam Sheldon also appeared to hurt his ribs after copping an accidental knee from Luke Shuey.

[YOUTUBE]qLsBc3M5h-g&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

video courtesy of Ginger Greatness

Good on you Sammy, gave that contest 100% and came out of it a little worse for wear... but came back to kick an absolute pearler!

Needs to consistently find more of the ball though, otherwise he simply won't be able to really impact games.

Man, I was very iffy on Sammy earlier in the year, but he is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorites. Tends to kick goals at critical moment and his celebration's are always exhilarating for the team and the crowd. Doesn't shirk contests and definitely one of the few young fella's on our list with a fair bit of aggro in him :D

I look forward to seeing more of him in the near-future :thumbsu:

I have eased up in my anti-Sheldon stance. But it will be reignited next season if he continues to get games before Polec, Bartlett and Lester.

Handy depth player.

I have eased up in my anti-Sheldon stance. But it will be reignited next season if he continues to get games before Polec, Bartlett and Lester.

Handy depth player.

But Sheldon doesn't really play the same role as either of the players you have named..

But Sheldon doesn't really play the same role as either of the players you have named..

Any of them can play on the forward flank and I don't really like having forwards tag defenders as Sheldon's job has been some weeks.

Any of them can play on the forward flank and I don't really like having forwards tag defenders as Sheldon's job has been some weeks.

Well what you like and what is good for the team are 2 different matters. Some people just don't get it

Well what you like and what is good for the team are 2 different matters. Some people just don't get it

So you're saying that you'd rather see Sheldon getting a run in the firsts while Polec and Bartlett are left in the amateur league?

One word: Potential.

10 things I like
Mark Robinson

7. Commitment without injury

West Coast's Luke Shuey and Brisbane's Sam Sheldon had eyes for the slippery ball when they collided on Saturday night. It could've been much worse and they were lucky this time.

sheldon24.jpg

Handy depth player.

If those players earn their games the way the MC have deemed Sheldon to have done then sure.

I would be mighty pissed if we were still giving away games on potential rather than output though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't take this as criticism but next year will be his sixth season. I know he's had injury problems but he requires a Rockliff type preseason to get his body up to scratch.

Don't take this as criticism but next year will be his sixth season. I know he's had injury problems but he requires a Rockliff type preseason to get his body up to scratch.

Plus he was drafted underaged compared to the norm. But yep he had to show something this year otherwise the lynch mob would have got their way.

I've still seen some suggest he should be delisted.?
No way. Yes I wasn't his biggest fan earlier on in the year but he has shown improvement and he has definately earned another year! I remember how big a fan of him I was when we first drafted Sammy but since then it just got lower and lower. It is on the up again this year:thumbsu:

Re: Who do we delist?

Completely agree with Fairley. Sheldon is the little engine that can't. He tries hard, but can't keep his feet and rarely hits a target, he's had enough chances. I like Hawksleys "hussle", but watching his disposals against Sydney, he's far too sloppy. Maguire I has been woeful since he arrived, but we could probably keep him in the ressies incase we get alot of injuries again. With Buchanan, I don't know why, but I get the feeling he could be really handy if given more games. And Stiller, what can I say, have never thought he's up to it, he doesn't run hard. If you watch a game just look at Stiller, an opponent will have the ball 4 meters away from him and he goes 40% trying to get to him, then once the ball is kicked away, Stiller will make a late attempt to tackle just to give the illusion he is putting pressure on. I am ready to smashed for this post too

Just a query, as a small forward playing a defensive role how much ball would we be expecting him to get. ?

I don't think there is anybody on this board who does not think he has to improve his output in terms of possessions and goals. Some of us think he has to improve this a lot more than others.

He averaged 11 touches and half a goal in his 16 games this season.

He only twice reached 15 possessions.

He'll get a spot on the list next season but you'd think if he can't cement his spot in the best 22 in his sixth season, next year will be his last.

And to cement his spot in the side he'll need to give more than defensive pressure and getting 3 touches a quarter.

I've really liked Sheldon this year. He isn't playing a possession gather role, so his possessions don't matter too much, it's more so what he is doing with them. He has done very well defensively and has been much improved offensively, which is a good job considering the state of our forward line in some of the games this year. He hasn't played a lot of footy in his time at the club, and hardly any back to back, so for him to play most of this year, have a solid preseason and load up for next year, we could again see a nice improvement. I like the thought of having the likes of Sheldon, Ash, Banfield, Karni up forward as the 'smalls'. Brown, Acorn/Retzy and Staker as the 'talls'. I think it has a nice balance to it.

No way. Yes I wasn't his biggest fan earlier on in the year but he has shown improvement and he has definately earned another year! I remember how big a fan of him I was when we first drafted Sammy but since then it just got lower and lower. It is on the up again this year:thumbsu:

2011 Sam Sheldon Team Rankings:

Games Played: 16

Average Disposals Ranking: 31st (10.8 per game)

Average Kicks Ranking: 31st (5.3 per game)

Average Handball Ranking: 22nd (5.5 per game)

Average Tackle Ranking: 7th (3.9 per game)

You are right about one thing lionshine, Sheldon's tackling has improved. Other than that, this season has not been that different to last.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/73/default.aspx#page=career&year=0&roundid=0&fixtureid=0&teamid=0&playerids=0&playerid=15647

Let's hope he improves next year and repays the faith that Voss has shown in him.

:thumbsu: Go Sammy!

2011 Sam Sheldon Team Rankings:

Games Played: 16

Average Disposals Ranking: 31st (10.8 per game)

Average Kicks Ranking: 31st (5.3 per game)

Average Handball Ranking: 22nd (5.5 per game)

Average Tackle Ranking: 7th (3.9 per game)

You are right about one thing lionshine, Sheldon's tackling has improved. Other than that, this season has not been that different to last.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/7...xtureid=0&teamid=0&playerids=0&playerid=15647

Let's hope he improves next year and repays the faith that Voss has shown in him.

:thumbsu: Go Sammy!
How about you judge his improvement on the way he played not on his stats!

How about you judge his improvement on the way he played not on his stats!

Agreed. He has definitely improved a lot 3kz and he showed more natural ability than he has before. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him play next year for once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back