SCPaige

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers, Leeds United
I interviewed Sam Weideman on Saturday, really nice kid - not to mention, he's a very talented footballer. (see attached link)

On the Darcy Moore front, he missed the walkover game against Queensland with slight bone bruising in his arm and is expected back in a fortnight (this week is a week off for TAC Cup clubs as it's Easter).

Jake Wild had a fairly good game against Eastern. Did some really nice things, but so far in his first three outings for the Knights, he hasn't made an impact consistently over four quarters yet, but has certainly bobbed up and done some nice things.

http://boundforglorynews.com/afl-bloodlines-weideman-wants-to-forge-own-legacy/

Thanks for Confirming the Moore Injury and Glad not Serious

He'll be fine. It's more precautionary than anything. A few players across a number of clubs were given the week off this week with the bye to follow. Just like the AFL, it gives them a lengthier time to get over any slight injuries or niggles. Darcy will be back after the bye. Nothing serious to report.

Site not loading for me - who is Jake Wild and how old is he?

How old is Sam Weideman?

Jake Wild son of Jason Wild (played about 70 games for us) and Sam Weideman is 16, turning 17 next month. He is eligible to be drafted next year but is not father/son eligible.

Jake Wild son of Jason Wild (played about 70 games for us) and Sam Weideman is 16, turning 17 next month. He is eligible to be drafted next year but is not father/son eligible.

So why should we care about the other 2?

So why should we care about the other 2?
Read the article.

"For Sam, he is the third generation in a long line of one of Collingwood Football Club’s most famous families; the Weideman’s."

Read the article.

"For Sam, he is the third generation in a long line of one of Collingwood Football Club’s most famous families; the Weideman’s."

But they are not Father/Son Prospects for Collingwood. There just Normal Prospects

He'll be fine. It's more precautionary than anything. A few players across a number of clubs were given the week off this week with the bye to follow. Just like the AFL, it gives them a lengthier time to get over any slight injuries or niggles. Darcy will be back after the bye. Nothing serious to report.

That is Fantastic To Hear:D

But they are not Father/Son Prospects for Collingwood. There just Normal Prospects
Well, it would interest people who knew/watched his grandfather, Murray Weiderman.

"Sam’s Grandfather Murray, was one of the most revered players of his era. A 1958 premiership captain who also played a staring role in the 1953 flag is one of the more coveted players to have ever pulled on the famous black and white jumper."

And two, if you read the article, you might have caught this.

"If the opportunity presented itself allowing Sam to carry on the surname at the club his family are considered a monarchy at, he couldn’t wipe the smile off his face at the fairytale should it one day follow through. “Grandad would be very proud.” Weideman said of the futuristic suggestion. “To have that sort of legacy at the club, it’d be very nice to be able to follow that up.”

That doesn't paint an accurate picture of the whole context of it, so just read the article if you want to know more.

Well, it would interest people who knew/watched his grandfather, Murray Weiderman.

"Sam’s Grandfather Murray, was one of the most revered players of his era. A 1958 premiership captain who also played a staring role in the 1953 flag is one of the more coveted players to have ever pulled on the famous black and white jumper."

"If the opportunity presented itself allowing Sam to carry on the surname at the club his family are considered a monarchy at, he couldn’t wipe the smile off his face at the fairytale should it one day follow through. “Grandad would be very proud.” Weideman said of the futuristic suggestion. “To have that sort of legacy at the club, it’d be very nice to be able to follow that up.”

That doesn't paint an accurate picture of the whole context of it, so just read the article if you want to know more.

Fair Enough be good for the Older Supporters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember haning around the rooms at VFL Park after games as a kid, and Mark Weideman was huuuge. (maybe seemed moreso because I was a little kid) If Sam is anywhere near the size of his dad, he's going to be a big boy

It would be interesting to see if it would put other clubs off drafting Sam if he wants to get to the pies badly enough. Might make them wary of him requesting a trade after his initial 2 years.
Any idea how highly rated he is Paige?

His grandfather Murray declared in the Herald Sun back in 2010 that, “Sam will definitely play for the Magpies one day so it’s important he sees what a Collingwood premiership looks and feels like.”

Nice to see the Weed being confident of Sam's chances, even way back then. :thumbsu:

Hopefully he continues to perform, and lands in our laps at the end of 2015.

Thanks for the update, @SCPaige

No Dave, good for all supporters.
I'm actually shocked that you have little knowledge of the name Weideman. Time you went back to school.
Lulie street primary.
The name Weideman is about as important in recent Magpie history as Rose, Richardson, shaw and Thompson. No excuse for someone like Dave not to be aware of the contribution of Murray Weideman in winning our 1958 premiership: 'When regular Collingwood skipper Frank Tuck was injured and unavailable for the 1958 VFL Grand Final against Melbourne, Weideman's deliberate and continuous intimidation of his star Melbourne opponent Ron Barassi was a major factor in the Magpies eking out an unexpected three goal win.' (Wikipedia)

I remember haning around the rooms at VFL Park after games as a kid, and Mark Weideman was huuuge. (maybe seemed moreso because I was a little kid) If Sam is anywhere near the size of his dad, he's going to be a big boy
It's amazing how big those guys used to seem to us kids of the time, but Murray Weideman was only 187cm/96kg, so the same size as Caff, though a bit heavier. My uncle played for the 'Pies in the late 1940's-early 1950's and seemed like an absolute giant to me, though was probably quite a bit smaller the Weideman.

No Dave, good for all supporters.
I'm actually shocked that you have little knowledge of the name Weideman. Time you went back to school.
Lulie street primary.

I do Gun Player, s**t Coach

Thanks to the OP for the updates, great to hear that there's another young "weed" on the horizon. I often felt sorry for his dad (Mark) because he wore such expectation when he played being Murray's son. I'm expecting young Wild is another "ranga" like his dad, he played with everything he had young Jason. And Darcy will be terrific, I'm very much looking forward to a young, blonde athlete wearing that number 30 again.

I've read Sam Weideman is already looming as a very nice KPF prospect. Spewing there's no grandfather-grandson rule that would allow us access. Just as Cloke would be retiring he'd be heading into his prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back