News Sampson Flat bushfire

Remove this Banner Ad

When I heard about the Tea Tree Gully Kennels on the car radio I thought s**t, its come down Anstey's Hill. Then about 5 minutes later someone txted in that they actually are 15 kms away from TTG in Inglewood.

That is so sad.

The photo of the young CFS volunteer bringing a staffy out of the kennels is heart breaking.

My cuz is in the cfs. He got back home a few hours ago and is going back tomorrow. Never been more proud and more fearful in my years. To all those volunteers and everyone who is at risk our hearts are with you.

beab4b5a-d5ba-48e0-9db9-afbc872b9c42_800.jpg

Incinerator lit on a 44deg day? Who still has them?

WTF, an incinerator!!!.. It amazes me how stupid and irresponsible people can be. The person needs to be charged with everything that they can be charged with and the book thrown at them.

Press conference with Premier Jay Weatherill, CFS Chief Executive Greg Nettleton and Police Commissioner Gary Burns

ABC live updates

CFS chief executive Greg Nettleton is now speaking:
"The focus of our efforts today now that the weather conditions have abated from yesterday the facts today will be employing two strategies.
"The first strategy will be on working on containing the perimeter of the fire to halt the forward rate of spread of that fire.
"The second strategy will be employing is putting teams onto major roadways to check and clear those roadways from fire affected trees and polls and the like, so that the areas can be opened up as quickly as possible for residents of those areas to get back so they can tend to their animals, their livestock and pets."

WTF, an incinerator!!!.. It amazes me how stupid and irresponsible people can be. The person needs to be charged with everything that they can be charged with and the book thrown at them.
My parents had an incinerator when we came to Australia 50 years ago. They used it about twice to burn things and then just used it as a mulcher until the metal rusted away.

My parents had an incinerator when we came to Australia 50 years ago. They used it about twice to burn things and then just used it as a mulcher until the metal rusted away.

I seem to remember in the 60s.... We used one all the time ...

We need to get an impromptu Port game scheduled ASAP. That'll bring torrential rain.

Torrential rain aside maybe Port could donate proceeds from the internal trial game to a bushfire relief fund?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC journalist James Bennett said the milder conditions and less smoke cover has allowed firefighters to use aerial bombers to target hot spots in the Adelaide Hills area.

"Conditions here, while certainly heating up, are relatively benign in terms of wind and in terms of their safety for air operations," he said.
"That does mean that aerial bombers are able to get closer to the hot pockets than they have been able to previously.
"There are concerns, particularly for the Millbrook Reservoir, because that forms part of Adelaide's drinking water supply so the aerial bombers cannot use any of the fire *ant they would normally use, because that could pose risks for the drinking water.
"They are still restricted in some areas they can work but there is a keen effort underway to make the most of these milder conditions with the expectation it will heat up again and those winds will pick up later in the week, particularly Wednesday."

ABC reporter Nicola Gage is also at one of the main flanks of the fire at Humbug Scrub:

"Water bombers are flying at low level just metres from houses ... where the fire is edging," she said.
"On the ground, about six fire trucks have just made their way up the steep road to help other crews. Some residents are also here, turning sprinklers on and handing out water to firefighters. The fire seems to be moving quickly through grass paddocks."

Have finally been able to contact our mate and former neighbor who still lives on Norseworthy Rd Forestion. His house and our former house both survived, no stock losses but the two huge (bore water) tanks supplying both properties destroyed. The properties are at the top of the ridge where the fire was stopped as it went into Mt Crawford Forest which was on our boundary. The forest has gone. Although his pic in the media says he was at Humbug Scrub, not true- he spent yesterday and today putting out spot fires on both properties. Had just come in for a quick drink.He cannot speak highly enough of the effectiveness of the water bombers, especially 'Elvis'. He is safe on the western and northern sides now burnt out but is concerned of anything coming from Gumeracha, although Checker's Hill Rd which is midway was burnt.

Safe for the moment.

Last edited:
I have received a couple of messages asking if I was OK as the CFS site has said for the last 3 days that there is a fire on our road. There was a grass fire in the park at the end of our road a few days ago, one CFS and One MFS truck attended, but that was dealt with pretty quickly. I suppose there may have been a watching brief over it for a while given the conditions.

It has been very smoky around here (Salisbury Park) for a few days now but today is worse, but the wind is coming from the east.

Sad news about the kennels going up. I have a mate who lives near Kersbrook and he has lost his place. He was on YP and has been unable to check on his animals safety.

Got the scanner app going again, it's smokey again here at Vista/Tea Tree Gully

*Edit - Actually smokey is over dramatic, just hazy I meant the smokey smell more than anything, I hope Inglewood & Houghton are OK great spot i love it up there

Last edited:
Kersbrook looks like it's going again, cuddle creek also alight again

The 'mopping up' phase will take weeks. Checking every tree stump by raking around them, under logs, scraping away debris. It's a time consuming task, totally boring but an absolute necessity. From personal experience with a fire on our SE property, despite pouring a squillion litres of water around trees, the surrounding ground was still very hot days later. Gusty winds in the hills will be a nightmare.

I do not envy the CFS trucks travelling down very narrow roads which in many cases are the only way in and out - no room to turn around - blind gullies etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back