Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worry is that during this transitional phase we need to also nail the single biggest appointment in the short history of the club - the senior coach to lead us out of the Tippettgate mire and the Port (Port!) shadow.

Not to mention
List manager
Clean out of assistants
Possible appointment of a senior/experienced assistant
Clean out of board room
New chairman
And that's fair comment.

But as a supporter who has seen years of malaise - when the greatest club man we have ever had comes along, a winner in everything he does, signs up to an official position on a mantra of ending the mediocrity - well you know what? I'm going to believe in him and his will to get it done.

Ricciuto's involvement reminds me a lot like the Garry Lyon at Melbourne stuff. The Messiah Complex. An old player or state legend to come in and save us, like Blighty did.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad he's involved and would back him in ahead of almost anyone down at the club. But he's a rookie. Making decisions he's never had to make. Doing what he thinks is the right thing, not what he knows is the right thing. Because he's never done it! And neither has anyone else down there.

Roo with Noble, I'd back in with sound football knowledge. I don't think he'd be impressed with fancy presentations. He's no-nonsense and down to earth and would cut through the s**t.

I'd back Fagan in to ensure procedural matters were right.

Where do you see Hurley in this? Is he a token on the board or was he involved in bringing Roo in? He'd surely have knowledge of past practices that he'd share with Roo so past mistakes are avoided......

And that's fair comment.

But as a supporter who has seen years of malaise - when the greatest club man we have ever had comes along, a winner in everything he does, signs up to an official position on a mantra of ending the mediocrity - well you know what? I'm going to believe in him and his will to get it done.
Yeah, it will all unfold.

But I'm in the Hope mindset rather than Faith mindset at the moment!

How would the Freo one have looked if they'd replace Harvey with McCartney, Leppitsch, Sumich or some other untried coach?

Our actions make sense if:
a) we have a clear upgrade locked away
or b) we were incompetent when we employed Sanderson in the first place
or c) we were beyond incompetent when we put together the extension
Way too simplistic.

Jesus.

We need to rebuild our football department, yeah?

So perhaps rather than backing the Board who put together the current football department to do it right this time or the guy who's been out of the system for 7 years doing breakfast radio we should have been targeting someone with that expertise.
Now you are just trolling.

You dont know how the power sat at Board level prior to cutting ties with the SANFL. Its not a coincidence that we've had the biggest upheaval in club history the very same season that we've cut the umbilical cord. Plus, at least 2 Board members will be gone at the AGM.

As for the breakfast radio jibe.... I think he's been a touch more active than that.

I gather you're trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but seriously Carl, will you ever be happy?

Hey so did Peter Jonas resign or anything?

Pages and pages back someone mentioned that he walked out of a meeting after 2 minutes. Was there any story behind that? I haven't had the time to keep up with this crazy thread.

First post.

There has been a long road of incompetence for Adelaide thickly veiled by a large membership base, good crowds, financial stability and a joke of a cross town rival.

Key moments of s***ness for me we're as follows:

1 Having Craig overstay his welcome
2 Re-signing Tippett when he wanted to leave
3 performing point 2 with a shonky contract
4 failing to attract quality coaching candidates and ending up with Sando
5 losing control of the playing group to the point they can rally against the head coach
6 handling of removal of Sando considering contract extension put in place

I'm sure there is a method to the current madness instilled most likely by Roo and possibly some local sponsors (OTR anyone?). The PA resurgence has played an important part in this too.

This is not a time of panic, it's a time of opportunity and embrace the courage shown by Roo, who doesn't have to put his head on the chopping block to be scrutinised by Melbourne media. I believe there will be more big calls to come so get used to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey so did Peter Jonas resign or anything?

Pages and pages back someone mentioned that he walked out of a meeting after 2 minutes. Was there any story behind that? I haven't had the time to keep up with this crazy thread.
He had to get out to let his big footy sources know what's going down.

First post.

There has been a long road of incompetence for Adelaide thickly veiled by a large membership base, good crowds, financial stability and a joke of a cross town rival.

5 losing control of the playing group to the point they can rally against the head coach

I'm sure there is a method to the current madness instilled most likely by Roo and possibly some local sponsors (OTR anyone?). The PA resurgence has played an important part in this too.

This is not a time of panic, it's a time of opportunity and embrace the courage shown by Roo, who doesn't have to put his head on the chopping block to be scrutinised by Melbourne media. I believe there will be more big calls to come so get used to it.
Ever since the legends retired

Now you are just trolling.
Yep, wanting us to appoint some quality, experienced football people is trolling.

As for the breakfast radio jibe.... I think he's been a touch more active than that.
He's had involvement at AFL club level that I'm not aware of?

Having an opinion about football is one thing. Actually making the calls...

It's like how people have been pointing out the difference for Sanderson from going into a senior role from an assistant role. They are world's apart, yet much much closer than going from the media into a key strategic football role.

You dont know how the power sat at Board level prior to cutting ties with the SANFL. Its not a coincidence that we've had the biggest upheaval in club history the very same season that we've cut the umbilical cord. Plus, at least 2 Board members will be gone at the AGM.

I gather you're trying to play Devil's Advocate here, but seriously Carl, will you ever be happy?
What I'm questioning is why do we suddenly have the belief that the decisions we are going to be making are the right ones?

Why? Because Noble is widely respected. Hasn't he been there for ages? And Ricciuto is on board. Ok, great. We think he'll be good because he was a great player, great captain and speaks sense on the radio.

What we've seen is Act 1. In isolation it's nothing. Is it part of gathering a quality, proven, experienced football department? Let's hope so. But it's only hope at the moment. If it was Balme/Bond/Swann making calls, different story.

First post.

Good first post! You missed out the Rendell handling, bending over for anything the afl says, state jumper fiasco (or any club/marketing decisions in the past 2-3 years before roo came on board) and the re-signing of Reilly/Sando(/Mackay but thats a personal choice) too early or for far too long.

The re-signing of Sando seemed to be a PR (marketing team seems like they are reading an 80's play book ) stunt which is what we have appeared to do all year, we lose, someone signs, we get thrashed, highest oval attendance, etc. etc. you know what! As a supporter sometime I want to be angry and upset without this sugar coating on top after a loss.

Really annoyed me all year.

Last edited:
This could take a while

giphy.gif

The man who helped us pick him.......

He was in on the interviews. But I'm not sure how much he recommended any particular candidate given comments he made about it after. CRowie and Bone...or was it Wrinkles at the time..... asked about the process. Matthews left me with the impression that he had very little input.

What I'm questioning is why do we suddenly have the belief that the decisions we are going to be making are the right ones?

Why? Because Noble is widely respected. Hasn't he been there for ages? And Ricciuto is on board. Ok, great. We think he'll be good because he was a great player, great captain and speaks sense on the radio.

What we've seen is Act 1. In isolation it's nothing. Is it part of gathering a quality, proven, experienced football department? Let's hope so. But it's only hope at the moment. If it was Balme/Bond/Swann making calls, different story.

Yep, I get that. But the reality is Balme/Bond/Swann are unavailable. I think it's indicative of the Board's direction that they brought in a change agent in Fagan, to drive changes at the coal face. They also brought in Roo, another change agent. I dont think Chapman brought him in, I think it was Hazel/Hurley/Foord. Hurley in particular has been a long time business mentor of Roo's and he has his fingerprints all over this. Chapman has always been a bit of a corporate figurehead - I worked with him for a while and his interest in footy wasn't that high. I doubt he'll be on the board much longer.

There are plenty of examples of astute, passionate men turning organisations around with sound fundamentals and clear vision, who may not have direct experience. You could say James Brayshaw is a good example of this. Eddie MacGuire is another. Passionate men with good broad knowledge, neither of whom ran any organisation of note and in Eddie's case, getting the flick from another management role (C9).

The key factor at play now - that wasn't previously present - is a motivation to change. It has been a pivotal and constant message from the club since Fagan was appointed. If this is the new culture at the club, it will drive future decision making. They will make mistakes, but they wont be the mistakes of a corporate entity trying to maintain a comfortable status quo, they will be mistakes in the pursuit of success.

You really have to be happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back