Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I'm happy with the words we're saying
Yep, Im with you there. I mentioned earlier that the club has set a path and it's now up to players and admin to deliver. Their actions over the coming months will be the true test. But the signs are more positive than they have been for quite a while and that gives me cause to be optimistic.

Stripple

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, maybe we just thought he's not the one, got to go no matter what.

In which case we're flying blind!
I honestly can't see how this can be seen as a bad thing. If he's not the one he's not the one. The next one might not be the one either but that doesn't change the current coaches suitability.

And it's not like us agitators were happy with how Sando was performing so no suprise others in the club saw it that way as well.

And yes the extension was an error, but perhaps the main culprit for that is currently looking at putting mick on staff.

Even if we end up with an untried coach we are still better off than with Sando as we are one step closer to the right combination to lead us forward.

I just hope Fagen has the right view on long term planning/surrounding with the right team (he is certainly talking the talk).

Stripple

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we're agreed that the Board made a bad call in extending Sando's contract.

But the same Board are going to make the right decisions now?
Different board, and different information and recommendations will be coming from below(Fagen).

I have feeling a few ok the board may have been pushing for Roo to come be the face of this new aggressive movement. I don't think they are all bad, maybe just some were previously outvoted.

Stripple

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, wanting us to appoint some quality, experienced football people is trolling.

He's had involvement at AFL club level that I'm not aware of?

Having an opinion about football is one thing. Actually making the calls...

It's like how people have been pointing out the difference for Sanderson from going into a senior role from an assistant role. They are world's apart, yet much much closer than going from the media into a key strategic football role.

What I'm questioning is why do we suddenly have the belief that the decisions we are going to be making are the right ones?

Why? Because Noble is widely respected. Hasn't he been there for ages? And Ricciuto is on board. Ok, great. We think he'll be good because he was a great player, great captain and speaks sense on the radio.

What we've seen is Act 1. In isolation it's nothing. Is it part of gathering a quality, proven, experienced football department? Let's hope so. But it's only hope at the moment. If it was Balme/Bond/Swann making calls, different story.
Quick question how do you rate dunstall's time on hawks board? Also noble now in a position of influence as footy gm as opposed to ass coach and list manager.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet.

Noble knows everything that goes on in the footy department, surely he knew of Sando's sacking before it happened.

Why was he interviewing new assistants before the Sando announcement?

I can see 2 scenarios,

1.He didn't know Sando was being sacked and was recruiting Sando a new assistant. Highly unlikely.

2. He knew Sando was gone and was putting together a new team

If 2. Is correct, why would he be looking at new guys before the head coach is even appointed? I'm tipping the head coach has been appointed behind the scenes. I'm convinced Clarko has been in the bag for some time.

Lyon to Freo, Tippett to Swans, Franklin to Swans, Clarkson to Crows, wouldn't surprise me.

Danger has a history of meeting new recruits in Melbourne at this time of the year, he met Brad Crouch before being drafted, met Sando in Melbourne after being appointed. Danger met Clarko to talk about AFC's 2015 not IR 2 days before the preliminary final.

Clarkson has lived in Adelaide before, it's not an issue, just like when Eddie was snared.

Clarkson was asked about the job and instead of saying, "I'm contracted for 2 more years" he just said he hasn't been approached, sound familiar?

Caro has mentioned his get out clause...

I just have this feeling the club are comfortable with their decision to pull the trigger on Sando and they know the media will soon come around once they see this, dare I say it, 'big fish' in the net.

#clarkoscrows2015

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Noble knows everything that goes on in the footy department, surely he knew of Sando's sacking before it happened.

I can see 2 scenarios,

1.He didn't know Sando was being sacked and was recruiting Sando a new assistant. Highly unlikely.

If 2. Is correct, why would he be looking at new guys before the head coach is even appointed? I'm tipping the head coach has been appointed behind the scenes. I'm convinced Clarko has been in the bag for some time.

Lyon to Freo, Tippett to Swans, Franklin to Swans, Clarkson to Crows, wouldn't surprise me.

Danger has a history of meeting new recruits in Melbourne at this time of the year, he met Brad Crouch before being drafted, met Sando in Melbourne after being appointed. Danger met Clarko to talk about AFC's 2015 not IR 2 days before the preliminary final.

Clarkson has lived in Adelaide before, it's not an issue, just like when Eddie was snared.

Clarkson was asked about the job and instead of saying, "I'm contracted for 2 more years" he just said he hasn't been approached, sound familiar?

Caro has mention his get out clause...

I just have this feeling the club are comfortable with their decision to pull the trigger on Sando and they know the media will soon come around once the see this, dare I say it, 'big fish' in the net.

#clarkoscrows2015
There's some connected dots I haven't seen before and I like it! #clarkoscrows2015

On a side note, I really wish our club was the next series for a Hard Knocks episode. This off-season will be extremely interesting and already has been.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks

I can see 2 scenarios,

Caro has mention his get out clause...

I just have this feeling the club are comfortable with their decision to pull the trigger on Sando and they know the media will soon come around once the see this, dare I say it, 'big fish' in the net.

#clarkoscrows2015
I like the way you've put that together, plausible for sure. We going to know about the gf week wheeling and dealing soon folks. Keep ya hats on.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yep, Im with you there. I mentioned earlier that the club has set a path and it's now up to players and admin to deliver. Their actions over the coming months will be the true test. But the signs are more positive than they have been for quite a while and that gives me cause to be optimistic.
One of the reasons people are optimistic at the moment is we're envisaging Clarkson at the helm either as coach, or as mentor to Dew. Locked away weeks ago.

Then everything makes sense!

If that isn't the case...

Ruthless Freo worked because it was an upgrade, not because it was a change of mindset.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Are you happy with Sando out?
Hmm. I'm not going to pretend I was calling for Sanderson's immediate sacking because I wasn't. Were you? Not many on here were. Now we're finding out that it was almost a poisonous environment down there and we've had a coach for three years that the players and staff think is s**t and were on the verge of walking?

And this is a guy we'd publicly backed in with an extension but wasn't really an extension because of the performance clauses. So, be seen to be supporting him when actually we are sharpening the knife, waiting for him to fall which we suspect he will. And don't waste money on resourcing because we don't want the lame duck coach we want to get rid of performing too well.

I just find it utterly bizarre.

Are you happy with Trigg out?
Yes.

Are you suggesting we control the decision making process at Carlton FC?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Different board, and different information and recommendations will be coming from below(Fagen).

I have feeling a few ok the board may have been pushing for Roo to come be the face of this new aggressive movement. I don't think they are all bad, maybe just some were previously outvoted.
I think that by the end of next season we'll have a group of decision makers together. But all our key decisions need to be made now.

At the moment the decisions are being made by all the same people who made the Sando extension call, plus Roo.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think that by the end of next season we'll have a group of decision makers together. But all our key decisions need to be made now.

At the moment the decisions are being made by all the same people who made the Sando extension call, plus Roo.
- Trigg which is a big +

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
How many on other club boards could boast they have got this covered?
All the good clubs!
Quick question how do you rate dunstall's time on hawks board? Also noble now in a position of influence as footy gm as opposed to ass coach and list manager.
We're certainly hoping Roo is more Dunstall and less Lyon/Smart

Also hoping that Noble is our Balme/Bond/C Fagan but has just been held back by limited finances.

Again, I'm not saying what we're doing is wrong. Time may show that we're making all the right calls. It's just that we are flying into the unknown with our fingers crossed hoping it turns out ok.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hmm. I'm not going to pretend I was calling for Sanderson's immediate sacking because I wasn't. Were you? Not many on here were. Now we're finding out that it was almost a poisonous environment down there and we've had a coach for three years that the players and staff think is s**t and were on the verge of walking?

And this is a guy we'd publicly backed in with an extension but wasn't really an extension because of the performance clauses. So, be seen to be supporting him when actually we are sharpening the knife, waiting for him to fall which we suspect he will. And don't waste money on resourcing because we don't want the lame duck coach we want to get rid of performing too well.

I just find it utterly bizarre.

Yes.

Are you suggesting we control the decision making process at Carlton FC?

I am in the same boat as you re:Sando.

If what we are hearing about sponsors is true I think it is highly likely Trigg walked before he was pushed. With Trigg gone, it paved the way for Sando to be sacked. There is no way we could sack Sando and keep Trigg. With hindsight, I reckon Trigg knew he had to go or he'd be in the firing line.

But overall it seems like we are moving forward.

DroppingTheBall

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's hard to hate Tippett over that issue. The greatest minds that the afc can assemble agree to terms with an afl accredited player manager. Tippo is then expected to pour through the fine print and identify where the aforementioned groups have contravened the rules set out by the afl. I've never understood the hate for the bloke, disappointment sure, but almost all players leave it to their manager to sort out the finer details. He decided to go, as others have and will continue to do, but he didn't create the terms and nor would he have understood them.

If he wasn't all that keen on staying, he would have clearly stated what it's going to take to make him stay. He DEFINITELY knew, he would have INSISTED on it.

crowsup

Premium Platinum
Nov 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Again, I'm not saying what we're doing is wrong. Time may show that we're making all the right calls. It's just that we are flying into the unknown with our fingers crossed hoping it turns out ok.
I see what you're getting at. But I believe you're being a little pessimistic, also (with good reasons?:)).
I believe you think that the only thing that would change your mind is if the board appoints a good/proven coach as a head coach or as a mentor.
The thing is that even that would not necessarily mean it would be a good appointment.
Do you think that Clarkson would definitely be a good get? Think Malthouse after Collingwood, Matthews after Collingwood 1990 and Brisbane 2004.
I think that we need to have a bit of luck, regardless of who we appoint as coach. I believe, also that we have a good nucleus to be a very good team with what we already have.
I guess time will tell. In the mean time, I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic.

crowsup

Premium Platinum
Nov 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he wasn't all that keen on staying, he would have clearly stated what it's going to take to make him stay. He DEFINITELY knew, he would have INSISTED on it.
Of course he knew exactly what was in the contract. Otherwise why would the Tippets threaten to take the club to court if the club did not agree to exchange Tippet for pick 23 from Sydney. I know Sydney also offered White, but that was to get rid of $300k per year payment they were paying White.
All that the Tippets had to do was, hang on for a few more days to see what the AFC could get out of Sydney, a la what Polec did with Brisbane and Port.

Stripple

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
All the good clubs!

We're certainly hoping Roo is more Dunstall and less Lyon/Smart

Also hoping that Noble is our Balme/Bond/C Fagan but has just been held back by limited finances.

See I think this is the case at good clubs as well. I highly doubt many had proven people on their boards prior to them getting it right, they were hoping the people making the decisions were the right people as they had yet to prove themselves.

Im optimistic as the changes have slowly begun. Roo on board, noble more power, trigg gone, Fagen on board, Sando gone. All seem like good moves. Obviously they could turn out to be bad moves but we won't know till further down the track. The only bad management descions we have made since roo's arrival has been m4ckay.

Stripple

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
So pretty much you're saying that he is now more informed on the qualities that those positions most suit?

Well I think he has performed pretty well in all roles he has done. So yeah he knows what these positions need. And I'm hoping he also can keep the trend going with the decisions he makes in his new role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back