Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So......

In this era of professionalism, where we hear how well Talia trains and prepares himself, we know Danger's dedication in his recovery. We know they are hungry for success.

At what point do they deserve the right to seek recourse when they identify critical issues which are holding them back from the ultimate success?

It seems to be that issues were identified in 2013 reviews. Issues that remained in 2014. Issues under Sando's control.

So what does a player do? We want them loyal to the club. But if their needs as professionals are not being met by their club do they leave the club or do they seek action by the club to address the issue?

If they wish to stay at the club and have the club take action then "the tail is wagging the dog", if they do a Griffin they are disloyal.

I think it comes down to the issues, the response, and the outcome (obviously).

Apparently, the senior Dogs players thought McCartney was too brutally uncompromising; where as our guys had an issue because SANDO wasn't.

Our guys went through the process and let their feelings known, and then allowed the process to proceed. Griff went through the process, agreed on the course of action - and then changed his mind and blindsided the Club.

I agree with you totally though; if I was a player and I knew my coach was incompetent/useless and couldn't sort out the issues, I wouldn't want to waste my career playing under him.

If the players are a factor in getting rid of a coach, provided its for the right reasons, I have no problem with it.

Yes. It is worth noting that this year we haven't had any players ask for a trade, at least not publicly. I somehow doubt if that would be the case if Sando hadn't been shown the door.

I guess McCartney may have been inconsistent and held senior players to different standards. Of course there is the expectation that senior players set standards, but if there is a perception that younger players get away with not meeting standards there will be problems.

There needs to be certain standards that are non negotiable. Everybody has to be hard working.

Yes. It is worth noting that this year we haven't had any players ask for a trade, at least not publicly. I somehow doubt if that would be the case if Sando hadn't been shown the door.

That article that was posted last night said something like 38 out of the 40 players disliked him.

I think you could be right and we acted swiftly to avoid that. However, I still think we need to trade to make our list better and that then make a club looking to become ruthless, actually ruthless as everyone is on notice.

I guess McCartney may have been inconsistent and held senior players to different standards. Of course there is the expectation that senior players set standards, but if there is a perception that younger players get away with not meeting standards there will be problems.

There needs to be certain standards that are non negotiable. Everybody has to be hard working.

My understanding was that there was the same standards for both groups. The younger ones did respond well to him, the senior players didn't like being told that they had a lot more hard work to do. Rumour on the main board is that there was an altercation between the two groups and the senior players wanted McCartney to sort it out. He told the leadership group it was up to them to sort out and McCartney didn't take sides (the senior players wanted him to back them in). The leaders then didn't deal with it. If true, then the issue really is the senior players there.

My understanding was that there was the same standards for both groups. The younger ones did respond well to him, the senior players didn't like being told that they had a lot more hard work to do. Rumour on the main board is that there was an altercation between the two groups and the senior players wanted McCartney to sort it out. He told the leadership group it was up to them to sort out and McCartney didn't take sides (the senior players wanted him to back them in). The leaders then didn't deal with it. If true, then the issue really is the senior players there.
You can't have players sort out discipline issues. It causes rifts. Wasn't comfortable about GWS players re the Green issue. Players do need to take a stand, but issuing consequences I am not sure works. I found the article Drugs posted very telling.

I think it was the opposite mate, the younger players were committed to lifting the standards, and the senior guys weren't.

Apparently the senior players have a culture of being dominate and expecting the younger guys to bow and scrape to them. The new group of younger players aren't interested, rumors are that it come to a head when Minson provoked Kobe Stevens, who gave him a touch up - then it proceeded as Nikki alluded to.

I think it was the opposite mate, the younger players were committed to lifting the standards, and the senior guys weren't.

Apparently the senior players have a culture of being dominate and expecting the younger guys to bow and scrape to them. The new group of younger players aren't interested, rumors are that it come to a head when Minson provoked Kobe Stevens, who gave him a touch up - then it proceeded as Nikki alluded to.
s**t. Toxic culture. No coach would succeed in that environment. Their CEO?'s comments about him being too demanding are really an indictment on their senior players then.

They better shift off the senior group and get another tough coach in.

In reality the club should have backed in the coach. Called out the senior players as soft and moved them on. Flag in the ground moment.

I'm glad our club made the right decision knowing there was an issue and pulled the trigger before it got as bad as the Bulldogs. With Walsh in the chair the players won't have to worry about him being their mate.

s**t. Toxic culture. No coach would succeed in that environment. Their CEO?'s comments about him being too demanding are really an indictment on their senior players then.

In reality the club should have backed in the coach. Called out the senior players as soft and moved them on. Flag in the ground moment.

Check the Dogs board, pole on Griff staying or going, last I saw, was running at 97% wanted him traded; and Cooney and Minson gone with him.

If that rumour is true, although it reflects badly on the senior players, it also reflects badly on McCartney. It's all well and good to have a leadership group but at the end of the day, if there are issues and the leaders underneath you aren't dealing with them, it's your job to stand up and deal with it yourself - and possibly replace the leadership group if they're unable to show leadership when it's needed. You can't simply do nothing and hope it all goes away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad our club made the right decision knowing there was an issue and pulled the trigger before it got as bad as the Bulldogs. With Walsh in the chair the players won't have to worry about him being their mate.
A pre-emptive break up.

We have hand!

I don't mean to be harsh because they're a pretty inoffensive club, but they've been doing this for decades. They're not a club that makes tough decisions and it's why they've been so starved of success.

Honestly, I saw us going the same way for awhile there. Hope this isn't a false dawn for us, but I'm quietly optimistic.

Porps was on 5AA today. Didn't hear it myself but Twitter says he confirmed there was a rift between the players and Sando and they made the right move in getting rid of him and getting Walsh in.

The Disconnect was obvious most of the season, as mentioned here before the lack of voice by the playing group publicly defending Sando or being critical of the AFC, reinforces the view the correct call was made to move fwd.

As more players retire/are de-listed or move too other clubs more info is likely to leak.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-13/disconnect-cost-sanderson

The Disconnect was obvious most of the season, as mentioned here before the lack of voice by the playing group publicly defending Sando or being critical of the AFC, reinforces the view the correct call was made to move fwd.

As more players retire/are de-listed or move too other clubs more info is likely to leak.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-13/disconnect-cost-sanderson
heard a rumor 3rd hand from a major sponsor so could be crap, but there were some out of hours activities (not sexual) that had the club so concerned that it when came to light forced their hand. like I said could be crap.

heard a rumor 3rd hand from a major sponsor so could be crap, but there were some out of hours activities (not sexual) that had the club so concerned that it when came to light forced their hand. like I said could be crap.
nah I think I've heard the same thing from a 3rd hand but interesting source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back