Sando: where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

OK here's what I think and have always said (inc 2012)

I don't think Sando is a bad coach at all, I just don't think he is a very good one either. He's middle of the road, a moderate. Nothing really wrong not so much super right either. Much like the club he coaches

The debate polarises into 2 opposing camps

1. Penalties hurt, fair go mate
2. He's a dud

Problem isn't with either view so much its just the need to be one or the other

I reckon its both. That's the problem. The penalties weren't fair on him, it has hurt his chances. But on top of that I don't think he has "it" anyway.

He's an ok coach perhaps given a get out of free card? Dunno but I think we could do worse and better

In many ways he's the perfect vanilla coach for a vanilla club. Unfortunately
Very, very good post :thumbsu:.

Indeed, Sando may very well "not have what it takes". But because of point #1....whoever we have as coach, we need to give them a chance to swim clear of this mess Trigg has landed us in. Until Sando (or any coach) can recruit, coach, and make descisions....without being hamstrung by stupid mistakes amongst our Hierarchy....sacking (another) coach would only prove to the entire AFL that we're just using coaches as scapegoats to protect a corrupt/clumsy/inept Hierarchy. And no half-decent coach in their right mind would come within a million miles of this club. I don't give a rat's arse if we had Mr. Magoo coaching the Crows at the moment - let him disentagle himself of Trigg's Draft sanctions. The other thing we need is a decent fitness coach - yesterday. And if I recall correctly, Sando tried tooth and nail to get one of the best out there.

In a few years, if we cannot make serious inroads, then I'd seriously question Sando's tenure. Just not now.

For what its worth, 5AA dropping the rumour we have approached both Thompson and Goodwin for roles next year

It's the hanging onto Scott Thompson, Reilly, and Rutten.....that's the real crux of it for me; those guys just cannot cut it, and we need to blood each and every youngster on our list - yesterday.
Sure, Thompson has serious talent inside the stoppages and congestion, but the moment the Pill is out into general field play, forget it. He's got cement boots. What is costing us games, more than anything else, is lack of foot speed.

you need some experience on the field if you took all 3 of those players out of the team we would have 4 players over 100 games in Betts ,Douglas, Dangerfield and Mackay. that is 1 less 100 game player than Gold coast have on their entire list.

no turnovers in poor areas not foot speed is what cost us more in the first 3 games.

keeping possession without turning it over and moving the ball quickly by foot is just as effective.
Barely any one mention our lack of leg speed in 2012 because we move the ball quicker without turning it over that is the
difference.

no turnovers in poor areas not foot speed is what cost us more in the first 3 games.
Appreciate the response, but if our lack of foot speed is not an issue....why is it we concede more goals from turnovers inside our own Forward 50, compared to when we cough the ball up inside our Defensive 50?
You'd think that coughing up the Ball deep in your own Defence would result in the most opposition goals. Not the case with the Crows.

Bigfooty got brought up the other day, hutchy made some derogatory comment about it and said something to rucci about having a smirk on his face. No doubt he reads and or posts on here.
Does he?

Hey Rucci, do something about your teeth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate the response, but if our lack of foot speed is not an issue....why is it we concede more goals from turnovers inside our own Forward 50, compared to when we cough the ball up inside our Defensive 50?
You'd think that coughing up the Ball deep in your own Defence would result in the most opposition goals. Not the case with the Crows.

poor defensive action when the opposition is on the counter attack.

That isn't lack of speed, that's lack of two way running or our defensive structures falling apart.

Foot speed is only a minor part of the problem.

Bomber Thompson and Goody?
Assistants? A new senior coach? Can you please elaborate a bit more on the details?

It was mainly re Adelaide approaching Bomber Thompson re the role previously held by the late Dean Bailey - a rumour fuelled by Trigg being seen in Melbourne. It was given some credence as a possibility by Caroline Wilson, who said that James Hird WILL be back as Essendon's coach next year and Bomber won't work with Hird any more, although his appetite with coaching has been whetted again by his current role. Wilson also said that Bomber doesn't like the busy lifestyle of Melbourne and might be happy to move interstate. In addition Thompson and Sando have a close association going back a long way.

It's all speculation and no fact at this stage, but as Caroline Wilson said, this would be the time of year that you would be trying to tee up coaches/assistant coaches etc for next year, not wait until the end of year when every key prospect has already been snapped up.

I'd be happy to bet Stiffy_18's left knacker that we have approached Thompson to fill the role formerly held by Bailey, as IMO he would be the best quality prospect potentially available. Whether he is interested in either the position and moving interstate to do so -only time will tell.

Let's hope that this rumour eventually turns into fact. :)

I could almost forgive a lot if we landed Thompson. I have zero hope that we will, but he is absolutely top shelf and well worth going after.

It was mainly re Adelaide approaching Bomber Thompson re the role previously held by the late Dean Bailey - a rumour fuelled by Trigg being seen in Melbourne. It was given some credence as a possibility by Caroline Wilson, who said that James Hird WILL be back as Essendon's coach next year and Bomber won't work with Hird any more, although his appetite with coaching has been whetted again by his current role. Wilson also said that Bomber doesn't like the busy lifestyle of Melbourne and might be happy to move interstate. In addition Thompson and Sando have a close association going back a long way.

It's all speculation and no fact at this stage, but as Caroline Wilson said, this would be the time of year that you would be trying to tee up coaches/assistant coaches etc for next year, not wait until the end of year when every key prospect has already been snapped up.

I'd be happy to bet Stiffy_18's left knacker that we have approached Thompson to fill the role formerly held by Bailey, as IMO he would be the best quality prospect potentially available. Whether he is interested in either the position and moving interstate to do so -only time will tell.

Let's hope that this rumour eventually turns into fact. :)

That move if successful would win back some credibility for the admin in my eyes

That isn't lack of speed, that's lack of two way running or our defensive structures falling apart.

Foot speed is only a minor part of the problem.
Yep, we could do with a bit more speed for sure.. But it's been the case for a few years that our defensive action and will and desire to run hard defensively is poor.. Always noticed it but the game against Sydney stood out so much more for me as I had more of an elevated view than at AAMI, we were just jogging back after turning it over with Sydney players sprinting past us..

Call it fitness, laziness, instruction, desire and motivation to the cause, maybe a bit of all..
One of the hardest parts to do in football is work hard when you don't have the ball and are maybe no chance of even getting the ball, but it's one of the parts that makes it look like your team is doing everything so easily if everyone is doing it.. Why do they have so many players there or there and support? Because of what they were doing off the ball..

It's not a part of our DNA at the moment to be a hard unit defensively, another reason why we tackle so terribly.. Mindset..

The game plan is designed to be attacking with full acceptance that when a turnover occurs damage will be done.
But yet Sando keeps saying defence is king and he doesn't want it to be all attack..
He said again today he would prefer we keep the opposition to less than GWS scored and we kick less..
It's confusing..

But yet Sando keeps saying defence is king and he doesn't want it to be all attack..
He said again today he would prefer we keep the opposition to less than GWS scored and we kick less..
It's confusing..
Ok, I haven't listened to Sando this year :) . I just point out that these issues with easy coast to coast goals were there in 2012 but we turned the ball over less and scored more.

Ok, I haven't listened to Sando this year :) . I just point out that these issues with easy coast to coast goals were there in 2012 but we turned the ball over less and scored more.
Since the press comes from basketball and having coached a lot of BB at district level I can tell you that's not a flaw in the way the crows are running it but it's a flaw in running the press. It's well known that if you move it quickly through hands to runners you can expose the press and score easily against it. The Flaw in the game plan is not recognizing when to pull the press back and reset your defense. The Crows are not alone in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back