Sandy Roberts Presents: The Wordsmith

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
You do realise he was the sports presenter on Seven News in Melbourne monday-friday until he left Seven,don't you ?
Now the rabbit in the headlights [Timmy Watson] does it

No, because I don't live in Melbourne.

I honestly thought they'd just put him in the cupboard or some nothing office role for a decade.

You mean apart from reading the sports news every night?

Hardly an important/irreplaceable role. Him going to Fox Footy wasn't nearly the massive coup it was made out to be.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Pretty sure he left 7 because they wouldn't let him call games or something. That's what I remember hearing at the time, anyway.

Because he calls the game as is. He doesn't barrack for one team whilst commentating, and doesn't sook when said team are losing *cough* Bruce McAvaney *cough*

No, because I don't live in Melbourne.

I honestly thought they'd just put him in the cupboard or some nothing office role for a decade.

Hardly an important/irreplaceable role. Him going to Fox Footy wasn't nearly the massive coup it was made out to be.
If it was so unimportant, why did 7 make him stick out the remaining year of his contract rather than just let him go?

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Because he calls the game as is. He doesn't barrack for one team whilst commentating, and doesn't sook when said team are losing *cough* Bruce McAvaney *cough*

What? He was the Dwayne Russell of Seven's '80s and '90s commentary team. Couldn't stand him as a commentator back in the day.

If it was so unimportant, why did 7 make him stick out the remaining year of his contract rather than just let him go?

Because they could.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
What? He was the Dwayne Russell of Seven's '80s and '90s commentary team. Couldn't stand him as a commentator back in the day.

Because they could.

I wasn't around in the 80s and didn't watch much football during the 90s so don't remember much of his past commentary.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I wasn't around in the 80s and didn't watch much football during the 90s so don't remember much of his past commentary.

As I said, the Dwayne Russell of the '80s and '90s - a loud, shouty South Australian with bad catch-phrases and a generally annoying sound to his voice. No idea why Fox Footy bought him back with such fanfare.

jarmanagic

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
As I said, the Dwayne Russell of the '80s and '90s - a loud, shouty South Australian with bad catch-phrases and a generally annoying sound to his voice. No idea why Fox Footy bought him back with such fanfare.
I disagree. He was a good caller. Some of footballs great calls came from Sandy, Ablett " what more can you say"
Libba. " imagine what he'll do if he kicks a goal"
" there is a pig on the ground, there is a pig at full forward"
That show tonight however was truly awful

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought the implied suggestion that they had him coaching Kennedy through his grand final speech via some sort of ear piece was particularly far fetched. Fox Footy has been taking the piss all year what with Red Round and all the other hoaky bullshit.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
I thought the implied suggestion that they had him coaching Kennedy through his grand final speech via some sort of ear piece was particularly far fetched.

That I do find bullshit along with the suggestion Defanti sent Molly Meldrum to run onto the field during the '66 Grand Final.

Main Man

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Old Ivanhoe!
That I do find bullshit along with the suggestion Defanti sent Molly Meldrum to run onto the field during the '66 Grand Final.

A mockumentary (a portmanteau of the words mock and documentary) is a type of film or television show in which fictional events are presented in documentary style to create a parody.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
A mockumentary (a portmanteau of the words mock and documentary) is a type of film or television show in which fictional events are presented in documentary style to create a parody.

I know that.

I don't think this is complete bullshit though.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
30 seconds into the re-run and it is 100% obviously a pisstake. Heardy_101 either works for fox footy and is winding us up or is tragically naive.

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Well I do know people that work at Fox and I can assure you this was 100% a piss take.
Kind of annoying, I was actually keen after hearing it discussed on 360. I feel like I've been robbed of a good show.

Private Hudson

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I doubt Sandy Roberts would put his credibility on the line for this given he put a lot on the line to quit Seven and join Fox Footy. Heck, if he's really been keeping this story under wraps for as long as he says he has, and Seven refused to consider it, then I'm prepared to say it's more than a complete pisstake.

Couple of ways to find out. Visit the Saints museum and ask the bloke (I plan on going there in the next 6-12 months on my next Melbourne trip, preferably without the Mrs Lol). Next is to find out who was arrested on GF day - were Molly Meldrum and JDF really arrested on GF day in '66, and was that really Molly Meldrum running onto the field?

MM running onto the field is interesting. Did anyone notice that in the footage showing Molly running onto the field, the Saints were in black shorts, but in the GF the Saints were in white shorts. Also, during 2009-2010 when the Saints made those GFs, I distinctly remember Molly saying he has never seen the Saints win a flag as he says he passed out towards the end of Q4 in the '66 GF.

Those points, along with Defanti's connection to JFK are the points I question the most.

The rest is somewhat plausible.

Well that's enough internet for today.

Back