SANFL Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Just a thread about potential or planned SANFL expansion teams.

The SANFL "expanded" this year with the inclusion of the Adelaide Crows Reserves as the 10th League side, albeit playing all their games as the away side, the only exception is that they host Port Adelaide in Clare once a year (first game was this year, I believe they are doing so again next year)

Anyway, should the SANFL expand further to include more teams from across the State, given they are the South Australian NATIONAL Football League.

Given the Adelaide Hills, Gawler and the Barossa are expanding areas, (Roseworthy will allegedly have 30,000 + people within 15-20 years), is it feasible that these areas could field League sides?

Also to be considered could be Mount Gambier or the Spencer Gulf region.

Perhaps a club like West Adelaide might need to look at relocating before a whole new team is created. There's a logjam in the western suburbs, although Port Adelaide relinquishing their zone eases that issue slightly. Tony Zappia has been pushing for a club in the north eastern suburbs for a long time now, so I wonder if like you mentioned, areas like Roseworthy et al grow at a rate predicted, Central District's zone could concentrate on these areas, whilst freeing up some of the suburbs zoned to Central and Norwood located in the north eastern suburbs in a big reshuffle. I really don't see any regional centre being able to support an SANFL club for a long time though.

That's a fair point. Westies are broke (along with Sturt and Glenelg), so perhaps the SANFL could offer them $$$ to relocate to Gawler or something.

To be fair even my own team the crows posted a loss last year and as for Port Adelaide they must be seriously struggling financially having never posted a profit. Sturt have had a long term financial problem but are managing it and Glenelg are probably up and down, and it appears Westies had more management issues than anything else that seem be fixed.

Port are getting better; a shoddy deal at Adelaide Oval has prevented them from a break even this year. The raw deal they got at AAMI where the SANFL was pocketing just about all the money the Crows and Port made didn't help much either. I think the Crows loss this year can be attributed to having two average years in a row, plus the added costs of their SANFL side.

Sturt nearly folded last summer, and I mentioned this in another thread, Wests are one more financial scandal away from folding or merging.

Sorry, didn't realise you meant AAMI.

They are incompetent fools in such they are allowing clubs such as Glenelg, Sturt and West to be in such dire situations financially.

Not only that, but while I do realise that while they did own the licenses and the Stadium, and that as owners they are entitled to make some money, I don't think that gave them poetic license to prevent the Cows and Port to make some decent $$ as well.

I'm.pretty sure Rucci went more in-depth about it all last year or this year, I had the articles saved somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

Going back to SANFL expansion, I'm also fairly sure it was either him or another journo that suggested either a Hills or Modbury team become the 10th side (before the Adelaide Reserves came along).

In reference to the expansion your suggestion of Glenelg or Sturt relocating simply wont happen although Glenelg finished dead last their support had them as the second most supported SANFL team there is no hope the 8 clubs would want to lose that support. Sturts following is relatively strong also. The only team that could possibly be relocated us Westies but even them they wont gain support by moving north and as long as they are financially viable there is no need to move.

The only way there will be more teams if teams fold even then its a long shot.

The other way that the SANFL could have more teams, if the AFL which it is expected to start a reserves comp and the Crows and Power move to that. This actually seems the most likely its just a matter of when.

Jeez, not this crap again!
Re expansion, I think we've got a pretty thin playing list as it is let alone bringing more teams in. It's good to remember that NO SANFL club has had a payout (not including some season dividends forwarded early), like the PAFC has had, with that in mind all SANFL clubs do very well to manage their debt and do their best to live within their means and remain competitive, something some AFL clubs can't profess to.
Back to expansion. For quite a while I've wanted to see traditional SANFL and WAFL clubs play each other in some format, I think it'd be great to see both leagues strengthen their ties and bonds and try to offer a wider alternative to the monoculture that the AFL has become. How this is achieved financially is a problem, how the GAYFL view this is a problem.
There are great ties and a great shared history and it should be strengthened.

Well I'm a SANFL apologist/tragic who also happens to be a Sturt supporter. It's interesting and a good topic, I answered with what I thought was a good idea to discuss yet it seems most and including you revel in the tired banter that was on the other thread.
So, possible strengthened ties between SANFL and WAFL clubs......

Just a thread about potential or planned SANFL expansion teams.

The SANFL "expanded" this year with the inclusion of the Adelaide Crows Reserves as the 10th League side, albeit playing all their games as the away side, the only exception is that they host Port Adelaide in Clare once a year (first game was this year, I believe they are doing so again next year)

Anyway, should the SANFL expand further to include more teams from across the State, given they are the South Australian NATIONAL Football League.

Given the Adelaide Hills, Gawler and the Barossa are expanding areas, (Roseworthy will allegedly have 30,000 + people within 15-20 years), is it feasible that these areas could field League sides?

Also to be considered could be Mount Gambier or the Spencer Gulf region.

It's interesting ... would you see metro zones being redrawn and teams combined, almost in a super rugby teams concept with clubs known by nickname? Or identified by broader zone names. That doesn't work for me, but I guess people get used to it. Anyway so there are fewer metro teams then bring in some other zoned teams from peri-urban and country areas?

Or add in half a dozen new teams and have two x eight team 'conferences' or a first and second division with relegation and promotion?

There will be issues there with sponsorship, travel costs, administrative functions with an expansion of teams.

The SANFL for a long time toyed with the idea of an NT team but travel costs and sponsorship made the concept prohibitive. The NT has also been a reasonably productive recruiting area for state leagues.

It's interesting ... would you see metro zones being redrawn and teams combined, almost in a super rugby teams concept with clubs known by nickname? Or identified by broader zone names. That doesn't work for me, but I guess people get used to it. Anyway so there are fewer metro teams then bring in some other zoned teams from peri-urban and country areas?

Or add in half a dozen new teams and have two x eight team 'conferences' or a first and second division with relegation and promotion?

There will be issues there with sponsorship, travel costs, administrative functions with an expansion of teams.

The SANFL for a long time toyed with the idea of an NT team but travel costs and sponsorship made the concept prohibitive. The NT has also been a reasonably productive recruiting area for state leagues.

Hi, sorry to gate crash. I'm always interested in state footy. Just a couple of points.
Firstly Concerning the NT, I would have thought it would make more sense for the NT to play in the SANFL than to travel to Queensland, NSW & the ACT in that made up competition in the NEAFL?
You also may remember that Tassie made some noises about playing in the SANFL about 7 or 8 years ago. The AFL quashed that thought, as well as the Tassie VFL side.
All the best.

Good Post Madmug. In hindsight I reckon even the NT proposed venture in the SANFL was cut short by the AFL under Demitriou's reign so as to not * up his grander plans. I'm pretty sure while Port was wallowing under tarps and 20k crowds he looked at SANFL crowds each week and wondered how he could * it up.
Stuff the Foxtel Cup, it's a reasonable attempt but based only around television. Start up an honest grassroots inter comp contest between SANFL and WAFL clubs, excluding any AFL alliances.
The clubs are there, the supporters are passionate, they're excluded from the AFL facade, give them something more to play and aspire towards.

Hi, sorry to gate crash. I'm always interested in state footy. Just a couple of points.
Firstly Concerning the NT, I would have thought it would make more sense for the NT to play in the SANFL than to travel to Queensland, NSW & the ACT in that made up competition in the NEAFL?
You also may remember that Tassie made some noises about playing in the SANFL about 7 or 8 years ago. The AFL quashed that thought, as well as the Tassie VFL side.
All the best.

Now you mention it, the Tassie thought rings a bell. But nothing came of that either.

The NT used to provide some extra income for SA league players back in the day, a few used to trek north to play over the summer. The timing was an issue with getting the NT to play in Adelaide although it looks like they've worked around that now.

An expanded SANFL will have to be locally produced.

Now you mention it, the Tassie thought rings a bell. But nothing came of that either.

The NT used to provide some extra income for SA league players back in the day, a few used to trek north to play over the summer. The timing was an issue with getting the NT to play in Adelaide although it looks like they've worked around that now.

An expanded SANFL will have to be locally produced.

Well that is because it didnt suit the AFL for some reason. They like to control & dominate & are never wrong so----- that was that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And still Tassie don't have a team of their own. And I don't mean a Victorian team coming down a few times a year to validate their sponsorship deals or the myopic idea if a Victorian club being relocated in a vain attempt to save their history.
I can see an opening for a lower tier semi-national comp alternative to the AFL. Where's the white knight?
:)

And still Tassie don't have a team of their own. And I don't mean a Victorian team coming down a few times a year to validate their sponsorship deals or the myopic idea if a Victorian club being relocated in a vain attempt to save their history.
I can see an opening for a lower tier semi-national comp alternative to the AFL. Where's the white knight?
:)

No, wont happen. The AFL dominate all football but are really only concerned with the AFL competition, more particularly just keeping all the Melbourne based teams. Nothing else really matters to them. Its just a feeding trough for those players & Officials 'in the tent'.

Agree. Welcome to the Monsanto Football Franchise League.
A man can dream though.
Interesting to see Power reserves at the top of the SANFL ladder with one game to go and East Perth two games clear on the WAFL ladder with two rounds to go. The corresponding factors are that both have achieved * all recently as stand alone clubs, both are infested with AFL players and both have prostituted their supporter base to achieve this feat of bastardry.
As long as it's good for the AFL though...

Agree. Welcome to the Monsanto Football Franchise League.
A man can dream though.
Interesting to see Power reserves at the top of the SANFL ladder with one game to go and East Perth two games clear on the WAFL ladder with two rounds to go. The corresponding factors are that both have achieved **** all recently as stand alone clubs, both are infested with AFL players and both have prostituted their supporter base to achieve this feat of bastardry.
As long as it's good for the AFL though...

The AFL is not invincible. If there is enough troubling it, it can fall over - at which point a more reasonable national competition can be created.

Agree. Welcome to the Monsanto Football Franchise League. A man can dream though.Interesting to see Power reserves at the top of the SANFL ladder with one game to go and East Perth two games clear on the WAFL ladder with two rounds to go. The corresponding factors are that both have achieved **** all recently as stand alone clubs, both are infested with AFL players and both have prostituted their supporter base to achieve this feat of bastardry.As long as it's good for the AFL though...
In 2015, Peel Thunder, Based in Mandurah made the finals for the 1st time in their 20 year history. They are Freos Reserve side. Having Peel thunder in the WAFL is the equivalent of Victor Harbor in the SANFL.

In 2015, Peel Thunder, Based in Mandurah made the finals for the 1st time in their 20 year history. They are Freos Reserve side. Having Peel thunder in the WAFL is the equivalent of Victor Harbor in the SANFL.
Yep, been keeping a close eye on what's happening in the WAFL this year. I really hope West Perth make the GF via the Prelim and stand their ground. If what's happening in SA with AFL reserves isn't bad enough, in WA it's a nightmare.

I haven't been to a game all year, and I love going to Prospect. I am totally against the exhibition game crap and John Olsen's love child that is the SANFL. When Adelaide and Port are gone, I'll go again. F the AFL, F John Olsen. I'll pay when it's fair, and when it' South Australian. I don't mind Modbury or Mt Barker coming in, but the current setup is AFL spawn, and they are lowest of lowlifes...

I haven't been to a game all year, and I love going to Prospect. I am totally against the exhibition game crap and John Olsen's love child that is the SANFL. When Adelaide and Port are gone, I'll go again. F the AFL, F John Olsen. I'll pay when it's fair, and when it' South Australian. I don't mind Modbury or Mt Barker coming in, but the current setup is AFL spawn, and they are lowest of lowlifes...

Come off it. Crows reserves, while they are marginally better than last year, aren't exactly dominating the comp, and even Port aren't as good as they seem. Got within a kick of the flag last year and this year were soundly beaten by West in the Qualifying final. While they are good, they're not dominant.

I couldn't care less whether they dominate or not, just whether they are in the SANFL or not. I don't go to their exhibition games and I don't take them seriously. When the competition starts taking itself seriously then I'll take it seriously again.

Posted awhile back about a possible cap on AFL players and speaking to a few Norwood chiefs on the weekend it sounds like it will be voted in at seasons end. 13 or 14 AFL players max each week in each side

I'd be in favour of that. Be a few AFL listed players making numbers anyway.
Yes, at the moment they are forced to play guys in the SANFL who simply aren't up to it. Port have a SANFL ressies to send them to under the new rules but Crows players would just have to miss a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back