McAlmanac

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2002
Brunswick
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville
Twas me who opened the can of worms, but not the PAFC vs PAMFC identity debate. I questioned how a long time, paid up Port Adelaide supporter could suddenly - or not so suddenly it would seem - support Central District. I can (just) understand how supporters of other SANFL clubs, disaffected by the corporate nature of the Crows, could turn to Port in the AFL. But how one of Jack's Army (Cahill, not Oatey - remember him, young 'uns?) can change allegiance in the SANFL is baffling, bewildering, and astonishing.

How many other people who thrilled to Russell Ebert now barrack for another SANFL club?

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jimmy said:
ok then..ill ask it

So to recap - there's no connection between the two Port Adelaides? John Cahill would have helped any SANFL club in need?

cheers

jimmy

Shame on you Macca !
However..

Jimmy, you know and I know...there is a connection...Both Clubs wore black and white, one of them had the magpies as their logo, the new one has the Magpies as an integral part of their name.
Both represent/ed Port Adelaide in the SANFL, both play/ed out of Alberton
Both wore the same guernsey...

and players that played for the Port Adelaide Football Club whilst it was in the SANFL and players that play for the current PAMFC are accorded credits to a Port Adelaide Club entity in games played etc..

i.e Scott Hodges: Scott Hodges kicked 650 goals for the PAFC whilst in the SANFL also has the adjunct Goals for PAMFC included.

so we all know that the PAMFC now represents the Port Adelaide Football Clubs interests and traditions in the SANFL and are meant to carry on a Port Adelaide local district contribution to the SANFL in lieu of the PAFC.

John Cahill and Tim Ginever are proud to contribute to a club that represents the Port district and give back to the SANFL..

PA1870

PortProudWA

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2003
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Footyboy said:
The SANFL was a lot stronger competion, according to stats, its believed they use to attract 20,000 to some home/away matches, try achieving that today.

Would you believe the biggest SANFL crowd in the 90s. Was the 1990 Grand Final Port vs Glenelg, well over 50,000. You just wouldn't get these crowds again in the modern era.

Esciapply how AMMI stadium capity has now been reduced.

I wonder who has the right for the SANFL achieves, Channel 9?, Channel 2 ?..

It would be good to to see, wouldnt mind seeing the young players in action before they became AFL stars, such as Malcom Blight, John Platten, Nathan Buckley (but then was that before 91?)

You think the crowds are bad (down) in the SANFL, come over and go to a WAFL match, its laughable!!

PortProudWA

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2003
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
McAlmanac said:
Twas me who opened the can of worms, but not the PAFC vs PAMFC identity debate. I questioned how a long time, paid up Port Adelaide supporter could suddenly - or not so suddenly it would seem - support Central District. I can (just) understand how supporters of other SANFL clubs, disaffected by the corporate nature of the Crows, could turn to Port in the AFL. But how one of Jack's Army (Cahill, not Oatey - remember him, young 'uns?) can change allegiance in the SANFL is baffling, bewildering, and astonishing.

How many other people who thrilled to Russell Ebert now barrack for another SANFL club?

I never have, never could....wouldnt even think of it!!

AcaciaHills

Rookie
Sep 30, 2008
Darwin
SANFL DVDs/VIDEO of footage from 1989/1990
Hi there,
I have been looking for any footage of the Woodville Warriors during the last two years that they played.
The 1989 and 1990 seasons.
I was also after any footage from the SANFL V WAFL game that took place in 1990.
I have checked the newspapers from this time and both ABC and Channel9 covered quite a few of the games, however, getting hold of these has been really quite difficult.
I rang SANFL and they recommended the ABC or the State Library, however, both only hold finals from the 1989, 1990 period.

I checked out some excellent footage on YOUTUBE that was posted by NorthAdelaide and this covered a few games.

Has anyone out there got some footage from this time that they are willing to share with me? Or let me know where I might find some?
Thanks

Carey05

Draftee
Oct 7, 2008
Glenelg
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just went to my local video store and found the 85 :D & 90 :mad: way it was videos....also found a Football Series 83 Video, there is a number on the back, haven't rang the number it's 8212 2668 for Video Entertainment Systems could work don't know.

Still don't know why i watched the 1990 one, every time i see it i think i might be able to change the outcome of the GF:(
The number doesn't work. I rang it a few years back trying to track down some footage. The lady that answered didn't state the name of the business very clearly (it wasnt anything to do with videos) and was suprised when I asked about old SANFL footage. But the she said "we dont have any but my son has heaps at home!" and she gave me his number and I did get a tape of a few games from him, but he was a Port man and didn't have much that I was interested in.

One game that I would love to get hold of is the 1982 prelim final (the Grainger v Cornes match). If anyone can help with that please email me glenelg34738586@yahoo.com
I was 14 at the time but will never forget the last few minutes of that game or the elation when the siren blew and the Bays had got up by a point! Was better than 85 and 86 and the Crows beating Footscray by a point in the 97 prelim!

Know what you mean about the 1990 gf. That one hurt more than any other... and I have now seen Glenelg lose 7 gf's including last Sunday...

Larry the Liquidator

All Australian
Suspended
Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
ok then..ill ask it

So to recap - there's no connection between the two Port Adelaides? John Cahill would have helped any SANFL club in need?

cheers

jimmy

Of course there is a connection between the two Port Adelaide clubs. It was the Port Adelaide Football Club who you see competing in the AFL today that spun off the Port Magpies we see in the SANFL today. It uses the same guersney design, the same colours, the same nicname and the same formal name. On top of all that, they have the same supporters and I belive thay may also share facilities at Alberton.

oldtimer2

Draftee
Sep 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can anyone help with information about umpires for the foillowing 1877 SAFA matches?

May 12 Adelaide v Bankers, Port Adelaide v Kensington
May 19 South Park v Bankers
May 26 Kensington v South Park
June 2 South Adelaide v Kensington, Adelaide v South Park
June 23 South Adelaide v Adelaide
July 14 Kensington v Bankers
July 21 Adelaide v South Park, Woodville v Kensington
July 28 South Adelaide v Kensington
August 11 Adelaide v Kensington, South Park v Woodville
September 1 Port Adelaide v South Park

Many thanks

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
In case you didn't know, but I assume you all know so this post could be a complete waste of time, youtube is a great source of SANFL 80s footage. Not so much for matches in full, but certainly highlights. For me the 80s was the SANFL's golden era because it was the era I grew up in and started following the game, so these youtube videos are awesome to look back on and reminisce.

In case you didn't know, but I assume you all know so this post could be a complete waste of time, youtube is a great source of SANFL 80s footage. Not so much for matches in full, but certainly highlights. For me the 80s was the SANFL's golden era because it was the era I grew up in and started following the game, so these youtube videos are awesome to look back on and reminisce.

A full list of SA Football Archieve videos available and link to short you tube clips to entice you to buy the videos.

http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/tradelist.htm

home page

http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/

Jayzel

Debutant
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If I was hoping to find player season statistics (games, goals, kicks, marks, handballs) from the SANFL (specifically pre-1991) is there a good place to look? Does anyone on this list have even a partial database they'd be willing to share?

Vicman23

Draftee
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Experienced country footballer looking to relocate to Adelaide. Formerly of Adelaide my family is keen to move back. I am currently playing in country Victoria. I am looking to land a playing coaches roll and play mainly as a Ruckman, can also play as a key defender. If anyone could pm me with some coaching positions or point me in the right direction to find a coaching job would be appreciated.

banjomal

Cancelled
Nov 30, 2010
Work and home...
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Can anyone help with information about umpires for the foillowing 1877 SAFA matches?

May 12 Adelaide v Bankers, Port Adelaide v Kensington
May 19 South Park v Bankers
May 26 Kensington v South Park
June 2 South Adelaide v Kensington, Adelaide v South Park
June 23 South Adelaide v Adelaide
July 14 Kensington v Bankers
July 21 Adelaide v South Park, Woodville v Kensington
July 28 South Adelaide v Kensington
August 11 Adelaide v Kensington, South Park v Woodville
September 1 Port Adelaide v South Park

Many thanks

I found a bit of info on Trove re some of the SAFA names from 1877, it might take a bit more hunting to find umpires names but that's an online place to look. State library would be the best bet I'd have thought, or SANFL/SAFA?

FOOTBALL IN EARLY DAYS.
A question addressed to "The Advertiser" about the Victorian Club, which played from 1874 onward at the west foot of Montefiore Hill, led to the unearthing of a publication entitled '"The Footballer"' published in 1877 (the third year of publication) and edited by Mr. T. P. Power Hon. secretary of the Carlton Football Club). This book, which is the property of Mr. G. E. Downs, awakens memories of football in the seventies. It contains a record of the formation of the South Australian Football Association (now the Lcague) in 1877.
The following were the affiliated clubs: —Adelaide, Bankers, Kensington. Port Adelaide, South Adelaide, South Park, Victorian, Woodville, and Prince Alfred College.
The officers were - "President, his Honor S. J. Way, Chief Justice; vice-presidents, ,T. Acraman, D. Bower M.P., W. H. Bundey, G. Chapman, W. Cuthbertson, Ch. Hart. Geo. Hawkes S.M., Hon. J. Glyde, M.P., C. Peacock, W. Townsend, M.P.; treasurer, J.R.Osborn ; secretaries, R E. N. Twopeny, and Ray Moulden: committee, R. F. N. Twopeny, P. Canaway, H. Edwards, R. C. Cornish, Ray Moulden. C. T. Hargrave, jun., J. Raun, Charles Wells. C. C. Kingston, W. B. Holmesby, J. H. Sinclair, C. Colyer, B. J. Furnell, R. Whitfield, T. Letchford, J. R. Osborn."
In that list are the names of many men who rose to fame in politics, law, and municipal affairs. The list of players is no less interesting.
It is as follows:—Adelaide (founded, 1857, disbanded 1873, re-formed 1877)-J. K. and M. Acraman, F. A. Bleechmore, H. C. Burnett. P. J Canaway, J. D. Crichton, W. Case, W. E. Dalton, G. A. Farr, A. Fesenmeyer, U. Fisher, E. C, H. C. and Charles Hughes, T. James, W. Morgan, F. W. Stephen. A. and D. C. Scott, R. S. Poole. R. E. N. Twopeny (captain}, F. G. Waterhouse, H. Wyatt, James and John Young. Kensington - F. Day, A. Frew, R. W. Hall, A. Harrison, L. H. Herbert, Marshall, G. Milne, J. and E. T. Woods, P. Wood (captain). South Adelaide (formed 1876)— R. Absolom, P. Asgall, T. Blinman, R. Coonan, C. Curtis, E.Colley, W. H. J. Dedman, J. Green. A. W. and J. Jones, G. D. Kennedy (captain), A. Mehrtens, T. Reid, F. Stacey, W. Shaw, J. Sketheray, G. Sharp, D. Thompson. S. A. Wallace, G. Wooldridge. South Park (formed 1877)— C. Ashwin, A. J. Barker. J Coward, R. Cleland; J. Creswell, H. Durieu, S. Evans, J. Hall, M. B. Joe. J Jacob, G. Loughlin, R. Lewis, J. Lauder, J. Monro, J. Muirhead, K. J. Macaulay, S. Moore, A. Pettinger, J. Palmer, Reilley, J. H. Sinclair (captain), S. M. Turner, S. Teaghe. Victorian (nicknamed "The Tigers") - H. Allen, J. and R. Atkinson, H. Barrer, F. Culley, W. and J. Davis, G. E. Downs (captain), B. Furnell, T. Hall, G. Kingswood, W. Kuill, W. Lammey, C. Lennon, A. Miller, G. Murray, W. Osborne, W. Salzburg, J. Sharp, W. Stratton, F. Tweash, C. Warren.
Old footballers will remember most of the names. The book does not give the personnel of every club. Adelaide played on the old Adelaide ground, and their colors were black and red, striped jersey, hose, and cap, and white knickerbockers. Kensington played on the Kensington Park Oval, in red and white striped jersey and cap and white trousers. Port Adelaide formed in 1888 (sic), were captained by William Fletcher and played at Glanville Park Oval; colors, rose pink jersey, hose, and cap, white knickerbockers. South Adelaide played on the South Park Lands and wore dark blue knickerbockers and jersey, blue and white striped hose and cap. South Park had a playing ground near the butts on the Sooth Park Lands; colors, white trousers, white jersey, trimmed with blue, blue and white cap. The Victorians were called "The Tigers"' because of their orange and black striped uniforms.

Extra info from trove:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...rchLimits=l-publictag=1877+SA+Football+Season

The greatest failure of the season have been the central umpires, who have rarely given satisfaction, the best of these being perhaps Messrs. J. R. Osborn, H. Hughes, Tidswell, McAlister, and Reeves.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

There are three ways of looking at the PAFC/PAMFC saga:

a) PAFC was a SANFL from 1870 to 1996, and a new club, PAMFC, was born in 1997 to replace PAFC — which had gone to AFL;

b) PAMFC has always been a SANFL club, and a new club, PAFC was born in 1997 and joined the AFL; or

c) PAFC has always been a SANFL club, represented by a team called "Magpies," and, when joined the AFL in 1997, it was represented in the national competition by a team called "Power."

Regardless of the option one picks, it is common to all that PAFC was a SANFL club from 1870 to 1996, and that Magpies and Power are part of the same organization since 2011. The whole controversy boils down to 14 of the 147 years of Port Adelaide Football Club.

Now, two of the options above hold that PAFC was one, than became two, and now it is one again. For those, they need to answer to whom belong the flags won in 1998, 1999, and 2004. The other option answer those questions easily...

Jarrah777

Draftee
Feb 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood FC - LFC - QPRFC
Yes I see your points.
However I wasnt attempting to draw attention to Ports history in the SANFL prior to them leaving that comp and joining the AFL.

I was trying to raise thoughts and perspective on the perception of the SANFL prior to Ports abdication of the SANFL.

It is my perception that the value of the SANFL history and premierships won in that comp prior to 1990 ( including those of other SANFL clubs) is now held in less regard, (by the majority of South Australians, were they once werent ) purely because Port are now in the AFL.

refer to my previous post...it certainly isnt in any Crow supporters interest to suggest the Premiership won by North Adelaide in 1972 was the equivalent of a Premiership won by Collingwood in the early 1900's...as by doing so they would be devaluing a Crows flag...

but more so ,would be valuing a Port premiership prior entering the AFL flag the same credence...thereby defeating any argument they would have against the PAFC...

My perception is..it is in the Best interests of the AFC supporters to now denegrate, the traditions, histories and achievements of Any SANFL club prior to the advent of the Crows, because in not doing so they will give Port supporters weight in their arguments, that SANFL flags were of the same significance and equivalence to a VFL flag....

for nearly 100 years those same supporters upheld the strength and equivalence of the SANFL to the VFL, from players, teams, Premierships, Champions of Australia...but now they denounce everything to do with the traditions and strength and history of the SANFL.....

dare I say it...Port are doing what they can to maintain the dignity and preservation of the pre AFL history of the SANFL....because by acknowledging the value of a Port premiership as a VFL equivalent....

They are also acknowledging a North or Sturt or West or Glenelg or Norwood Premiership to be of equivalent stature....

PA1870

The issue for mine is that it is all a smokescreen. It is an expanded VFL competition and nothing more. That is why they count the VFL flags won by Victorian teams and not Port. If we had a true Australian Football League, we would have Norwood, top WA, Tassie and NEAFL such as Ainslie, Southport, South Fremantle and an NT based team taking part. I am a lifelong Norwood fan and would love to see Port push to have their flags included in the tally, thus bring parity and respect between state leagues. This could pave the way for WA, Tas, QLD, ACT, NT and NSW to argue for teams to join the comp. We could then start talking a second tier and promotion and relegation. Expanded VFL don't want that. What I am proposing is a breakaway Australian Rules Football League. I hope I live to see it happen.

That would be a true national comp we could all be proud of and represented in.

We could then bring back State of Origin to boot!

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Some photos of some past Sturt champions taken at last years GF.

Roger Rigney
5804A159-56E9-47D9-BE86-A30BFCC8E17C.png

Michael “Flash” Graham
9256D47E-65D3-484D-AC8C-858EB457F512.png

Peter Motley
5DE6F85C-C2C3-491F-B9EF-3AA1C9ABBCBF.png

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
If I was hoping to find player season statistics (games, goals, kicks, marks, handballs) from the SANFL (specifically pre-1991) is there a good place to look? Does anyone on this list have even a partial database they'd be willing to share?
Probably not quite the depth of info you want but it might be a start.
https://australianfootball.com/

Other than that you might have to contact the clubs.

Some photos of some past Sturt champions taken at last years GF.

Roger Rigney
View attachment 470332

Michael “Flash” Graham
View attachment 470333

Peter Motley
View attachment 470334

Mots still the best SANFL player i've ever seen.
Love the man , will try and dig up an old polaroid of a Sturt family day up in the hills in about 83-84 with him and i.

Don't think i've mentioned it before but i got a copy of THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES book by Angel Fernandez a year back.
the definitive Sturt bible - 100 interviews with 100 past players.
Cannot recommend enough.

Back