SANFL/WAFL clubs joining AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

piesnz

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Port's newfound ability to draw big crowds at the Adelaide Oval and with both WA clubs being essentially too big for their home ground, is there any chance of any more local clubs orjoint ventures between a number of state clubs making the step up to the AFL? I've heard Norwood mentioned as a large SANFL club but am really unaware of how big the supporter bases are of these state league clubs. Is there another area of Adelaide or Perth that could be exploited for bringing in more crowds? In addition to bringing in more crowds it could also work to address the inequality between the earlier entry statewide club (Crows/Eagles) and their later rivals.

sail-away-02.jpg

(Ship has sailed)

No. No WAFL club is big enough and most of the supporters of each club (except for a some of the old timers) already go for an AFL side. Plus, Perth doesn't need or want a new team.

Last edited:
With Port's newfound ability to draw big crowds at the Adelaide Oval and with both WA clubs being essentially too big for their home ground, is there any chance of any more local clubs orjoint ventures between a number of state clubs making the step up to the AFL? I've heard Norwood mentioned as a large SANFL club but am really unaware of how big the supporter bases are of these state league clubs. Is there another area of Adelaide or Perth that could be exploited for bringing in more crowds? In addition to bringing in more crowds it could also work to address the inequality between the earlier entry statewide club (Crows/Eagles) and their later rivals.

There aren't enough good players for the teams we've got. Exactly how far would you like to drive the standard of the footy down - you can always go to the VFL, WAFL, SANFL if you want a lower standard of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have to be a "merged" side... like the Perth United Royal Falcons idea of having West Perth, Perth Demons, and East Perth getting together to form a composite side in the AFL, while keep their individual identities in the WAFL.

Would forever be known as PURF!

Maybe if Collingwood left the VFL and joined the AFL then Collingwood would finally get a fair draw and be able to play Collingwood at home. I hear there is an openning for a Good Friday blockbuster....

I for one welcome the South Adelaide Football Club to the big league. If people think Subiaco is a big ground, wait untill teams see the size of Noarlunga Oval!!!

#therearenolimits
1658420_738487402857461_642614455_o.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back