Savage + picks 18 & 19 for Macca + picks 24 & 59

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both clubs will look back at this trade and see it as a win-win.

Hawthorn desperately needed another quality Ruckman after Bailey's knees were gone and we got McEvoy. If we didn't land a ruckman this period we would've had a massive hole in our list.

St. Kilda needed young potential stars and acquired 2 very impressive young players in Acres and Dunstan. We are very happy with Hartung and has impressed with his professionalism as opposed to Garlett who has much to learn still.

As for Savage well he is a good player and didn't get the continual go he needed at Hawthorn as players like Smith and Hill went past him, however I see him as a confidence player and getting regular games will see him improve and could turn into a very good player for you guys and I'm happy for him.

Can't see either club being dissatisfied with the result of the trade.

Hawthorn have done well out of trading over the past 5 or so years but one thing we do is always make it a fair deal and all clubs we deal with are usually left happy with what they got in return.

Also it seems McEvoy has a strong love for your club, his videos since coming to the club have been nothing but positive for the Saints and has mentioned how hard it was to leave.

Good luck with the year ahead and I really hope Macho Man Randy Savage can show what I believe he is capable of on a consistent basis

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

totally agree. if you look at the talls that were available, it wasnt like you were spoilt for choice. many of them were b graders at best with very little flexibility:
- j pod : too old
- white : pies threw coin at him and he's hardly a CHF to replace frankalin. not sure he can ruck either
- gumby : wanted to go home. injury prone
- hampson : 44 games in 5 years kind of says it

theres not too many options there. mcevoy atleast gives you a long term ruckman with leadership potential, who can impact now whilst you are challenging. something you need anyway with hale coming into his 30s

i'm starting to wonder if the strategy was to get a ruckman, live without a genuine fwd and then use FA to attract one. especially with the cap room you might have now.

where do you see spangher?

totally agree. if you look at the talls that were available, it wasnt like you were spoilt for choice. many of them were b graders at best with very little flexibility:
- white : pies threw coin at him and he's hardly a CHF to replace frankalin. not sure he can ruck either

theres not too many options there. mcevoy atleast gives you a long term ruckman with leadership potential, who can impact now whilst you are challenging. something you need anyway with hale coming into his 30s

i'm starting to wonder if the strategy was to get a ruckman, live without a genuine fwd and then use FA to attract one. especially with the cap room you might have now.

When you have Roughead, the team is hardly starved for forwards.

Spangher is depth at most and he will play games here and there. He is a battler and gives his all but he lacks polish and class.

I don't see our forwardline being an issue with Rough, gunner and hale playing as talls with Grimley and Schoenmakers and even Spangher as options too but Buddy will no doubt be a loss for us as he is a star and wins matches off his boot so we can't exactly replace him. I still think our forwardline will be one of the better ones in the league though.

I think I'm right in saying you haven't lost any of the games Buddy missed in last 3 years anyway?

We didn't from memory but we haven't played continually without him so teams will be able to focus more on roughy gunston etc and won't have to worry about Buddy at all anymore so who knows how we will go, he is a loss and if any Hawk supporter thinks he aint well then they're in denial.

How much of a loss he will be, we will soon find out but least we have quality in the forwardline still so that definitely will lessen the blow of him leaving.

One of my best mates is a saints supporter and he mentioned you have a player with similar athletic ability to Buddy, Spencer White I think is his name?? How's his development going and do you reckon we may see him play a senior game this year or next?

One of my best mates is a saints supporter and he mentioned you have a player with similar athletic ability to Buddy, Spencer White I think is his name?? How's his development going and do you reckon we may see him play a senior game this year or next?

His development is a bit stunted from injury last year, mainly a broken bone in his wrist that if not treated/healed properly it can basically ruin your catching ability for your career.

Fortunately his wrist seems have healed fine and we are hoping for him to really break out in the VFL this year, with luck he might even debut later in the year.
White is one of those players that could be an amazing player but whether he makes it is a much bigger gamble then someone like Franklin.

McEvoy beaten in hit-out numbers tonight against Trent West who had 17% less time on ground.

Except West did nothing else the whole time and only had 1 more hit-out while McEvoy had 8 more disposals, 5 more tackles, 5 more marks and kicked 1 goal.

Except West did nothing else the whole time and only had 1 more hit-out while McEvoy had 8 more disposals, 5 more tackles, 5 more marks and kicked 1 goal.
Not surprising when your team is getting thrashed.. over 1000 games experience difference.

But West is about one of a couple that Macca has matched up well against or "Beaten".

I'm really interested and can't wait to see McEvoy vs Longer/Hickey just to see how those two match up against him, by reports in last years intra-club Hickey was all over him in the ruck.

I'm not raising it for the purpose of debate regarding who was better overall. It's why I specified hit-out numbers.

What I'm highlighting is how justified the club was in making the trade.

Sad to watch Mac playing in other colours BUT how why did Collingwood let Ceglar go? He looks like he will be the perfect replacement for Hale when he retires and had a much betaer leap than. Mac ,,,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His development is a bit stunted from injury last year, mainly a broken bone in his wrist that if not treated/healed properly it can basically ruin your catching ability for your career.

Fortunately his wrist seems have healed fine and we are hoping for him to really break out in the VFL this year, with luck he might even debut later in the year.
White is one of those players that could be an amazing player but whether he makes it is a much bigger gamble then someone like Franklin.

A mate who watched plenty of underage footy and TAC cup because his nephew was playing was talking Spencer up for about 12 month prior to us drafting him. He said he does about 10 minutes work for the whole game but can win it for his team in those 10 minutes. He doesn't think he will ever be up to playing a full game of intense footy but if he can put in a good 20 minutes of footy he should have his 6 goals and can go back to sleep. He is a Tigers supporter though so not sure how accurate he is.

McEvoy beaten in hit-out numbers tonight against Trent West who had 17% less time on ground.

beaten geeze thats tough for big ben. he was absolutely flogging west at one point

my personal opinion on big ben is he is a great leader who is great around the ground but below par in the ruck. hes also not nimble enough to play fwd unfortunately. i dont see him improving much either unfortunately

we probably traded him at the time where he had the most currency

Mac will be a terrific acquisition for Hawthorn, there's no need to worry about that. Those they've targeted and traded in from other clubs in recent years (Gunstan, Gibson, Hale, Lake, Burgoyne, etc) have been a resounding success generally and I expect much the same from Mac. Think we've done very well out of it as well by the looks of it, so it will hopefully be smiles all around going forward and maybe we'll be able to do further business with each other in the coming years. This trade seemed to go very smoothly, which is a nice change from some we've been involved in of late I think.

So did West manage to give his team a clearance when he won his hitouts, or does he just have the satisfaction of having his hand on it?

That's the one thing I've never understood about the AFL statistics; to me the relevant one is getting the tap and possession first off of it. That indicates a ruck carrying out to plan.

Then as a stat for the midfielders, a stat for first posession off the opposing ruck hit out - that's a bit like winning an opponent's lineout in rugby union.

So did West manage to give his team a clearance when he won his hitouts, or does he just have the satisfaction of having his hand on it?
Is West a dominant ruckman with an experienced side around him?

McEvoy wasn't first to the ball for most of the night. If he was up against a dominant ruckman with a suitable midfield he'd have played the kind of game we'd have lamented if we still had him.

beaten geeze thats tough for big ben. he was absolutely flogging west at one point

my personal opinion on big ben is he is a great leader who is great around the ground but below par in the ruck. hes also not nimble enough to play fwd unfortunately. i dont see him improving much either unfortunately

we probably traded him at the time where he had the most currency
Hence justification.

No, he was master of his own domain... Why is this relevant to his tapwork?

The point is, I believe, that Hawthorn's midfield can rely on a ruckman being simply competitive as Mitchell and co are so good they'll probably win the clearance anyhow, meaning a ruck that gets around the ground and can take a grab is more important to their structure.

And as Hodge said on commentary, Maccas's fitness will enable them to leave him on and not worry too much about rotations.

On the other hand, our midfield won't be able to handle being beaten in the ruck and thus the sacrifice was deemed necessary.

Nothing I saw the other night made me believe anything other than what my first reaction was: a massive win/win for both clubs.

Savage is a good get, he has excellent marking hands. The media haven't cottoned onto this yet - they still seem surprised when he plucks a mark from an unlikely position.
If his efforts last night are anything to go by he's going to have plenty of game time at the Saints!

Not just a good kick for goal but good kick in play, particularly kicking it long. Also, if Hickey can start getting 20-something - 30-something hit outs a game I'll be much happier with the McEvoy trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back