Savage + picks 18 & 19 for Macca + picks 24 & 59

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
It's still early days for this trade. But jeez, I had a good chuckle at the first few pages of this thread.

Should have read some of the hysterics at Saintsational. One fairly recent contributor on this forum was absolutely scathing of the club abd recruiting.

First time I have read this thread and even the critical posts were even and balanced compared to SS.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
It's still early days for this trade. But jeez, I had a good chuckle at the first few pages of this thread.
It's a ripper read from the 1st post. Love all the opposition posters comments - gee they really did have a HUGE opinion that he was the greatest young ruck in the land....

We knew better I guess

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
It's a ripper read from the 1st post. Love all the opposition posters comments - gee they really did have a HUGE opinion that he was the greatest young ruck in the land....

We knew better I guess

Well he is a good ruck, but we are well stocked with rucks now and in the future and he had currency.

Bartlett still carries on about it though

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Well he is a good ruck, but we are well stocked with rucks now and in the future and he had currency.

Bartlett still carries on about it though
He's a terrible ruck, but very good at moving around the ground & taking an intercept grab in the backline....

TassieSaint

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tassie Tigers
Not sure what relevance the result tonight has for this thread. McEvoy has been dominating at VFL level and is clearly a cut above. He's good enough to make the hawks 22 but they don't want to change a winning thing a la Hudghton in 09. I'd be happy to see him get back in and win a flag even though it's unlikely.

As for the trade I'm happy to concede I was one who overreacted and this looks like a win for the Saints so far. But I think it will be a win for Hawthorn overall too. Hale is 30 and this could be his last year, when he's gone McEvoy will take his spot full time for the next 5+ years.

This is my favourite post on the first page from a Richmond supporter

"What the actual ****? One of the most promising big blokes in the league, for jack s**t?"

Considering they got Hampton I wonder how he feels now

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Not sure what relevance the result tonight has for this thread. McEvoy has been dominating at VFL level and is clearly a cut above. He's good enough to make the hawks 22 but they don't want to change a winning thing a la Hudghton in 09. I'd be happy to see him get back in and win a flag even though it's unlikely.

As for the trade I'm happy to concede I was one who overreacted and this looks like a win for the Saints so far. But I think it will be a win for Hawthorn overall too. Hale is 30 and this could be his last year, when he's gone McEvoy will take his spot full time for the next 5+ years.

We are all experts in hindsight mate. We could have got Fiora and McQualter with 18 and 19. You weren't to know who we would be getting at the time of the trade.

I am critical of some trades and players but am always happy to be proven wrong.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH

We knew better I guess
Yeah i was one of them haha. If Hickey can shake his injuries off he has the potential to be better than Goldstein, that game he played against GWS was incredible.

Plus you guys have Savage who looks good off HB, Dunstan who's been annointed as Lenny's successor and Acres showed a bit in his handful of games before he got injured. The deal is headed towards being better for St Kilda.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's funny is Pick 59 Hawks used to elevate Ceglar and he is now keeping Big Mac out of the team....

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should have read some of the hysterics at Saintsational. One fairly recent contributor on this forum was absolutely scathing of the club abd recruiting.

First time I have read this thread and even the critical posts were even and balanced compared to SS.
Now let's take a guess at who that might be.... hmm

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought it was a win win situation, but now I am struggling to see how Hawthorn won out of this deal. They traded out their first round pick (who just happened to be one of the best young kids in the comp) and Savage for a ruckman to play for Box Hill.

I thought it was a win win situation, but now I am struggling to see how Hawthorn won out of this deal. They traded out their first round pick (who just happened to be one of the best young kids in the comp) and Savage for a ruckman to play for Box Hill.
They did give up Josh Kennedy who is elite and pretty much threw away Mc Glynn. They are very good with their list but have made a few shockers.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
They did give up Josh Kennedy who is elite and pretty much threw away Mc Glynn. They are very good with their list but have made a few shockers.
Good list management IMO. The year they got rid of Kennedy & McGlynn, they picked up Gibson & Burgoyne in the trade period to sure up the backline. And with the picks gathered from losing Kennedy & McGlynn, they drafted Grimley, Stratton & rookie upgraded Suckling.... Win - Win

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers

"What the actual ****? One of the most promising big blokes in the league, for jack s**t?"

Haunts me to this day, ******* Hampson. Would have been good to know that McEvoy might have been available.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Like all trades and drafts .... 1 year and we are calling it?

Wells was better than Goddard three years in, and that was a huge mistake.... Or was it?
Countless other examples as we know, yet we go early?

I think it will be a balance trade ATM (May change) but a bit like Hall/Dal Santo... Will be good for both

Savage is yet to cement... But has attributes... But as good as he was late, was shocking early... And teams worked him at as a HB. But he does have some skill...

Acres looks a promising player, whether he outstrips Hartung is unknown... Both are a long way from developed

Dunstan (already developed) will be a fine player... Not the star many think... But will be a really good footballer for many years. He has limitations, but some real strengths (pun)
McEvoy has been injury interrupted... Been solid at Haw and outstanding at Box Hill. .... He still may play in a premiership yet... At either level. He will be important in the coming years at Haw as 30yo Hale retires

It was a risky move.... It may have paid off... The landing of Longer for unders, really helped.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Some highlights :D Especially the first one! haha

What the actual **** guys. McEvoy is/will be a gun and is still only 24. Savage is a tidy footballer but isn't worth more than a mid-second rounder and 17 is a crap shoot. A late first rounder and mid second rounder for a gun young ruckman?

The mind boggles.

This has to be the worst trade I have ever seen. McEvoy is a good ruckman! You'd want to be certain that you will now trade for Longer.

Wow! Your recruiters have lost the plot...

not trying to troll or anything but seems like a terrible deal for you guys, I saw Mcevoy as one of the real up and coming rucks of the comp, and to me what is likely to become pick 19-20 plus a bit part outside mid does not seem fair.

So disappointed.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
You were calling it after 1 day BigMart.

You posted other clubs were laughing at us and the Saints were in crisis.

Now with the ability to actually see the outcome of the trade a year on and you say its too soon.

lol - just lol.

Far from it being a great win for the Saints, it is a million miles away from your "Saints are in crisis, other clubs are laughing at us" Henny Penny hysterics you indulged in.

For a bloke with injuries Macevoy seems to be going very well in the Magoos.

And of course it was a rick to trade Macevoy, every single trade is a risk, but our rucks in Hickey will easily be as good as MacEvoy and Longer will probably be better than both.

We have good rucks who will only get better, Savage who is a decent player, Dunstan who will be excellent and we dont know how good Acres will be.

Which clubs are laughing at the Saints now Big Mart? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Confuscius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NY Jets, Storm, Liverpool, Thunder

Please don't leave out some vital context.

Richmond gave up pick 28, which was used on Rising Star winner Lewis Taylor, in order to secure the services of Shaun Hampson.

Just makes it look that little be worse haha ;-)

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You were calling it after 1 day BigMart.

We have good rucks who will only get better, Savage who is a decent player, Dunstan who will be excellent and we dont know how good Acres will be.

Which clubs are laughing at the Saints now Big Mart? Hmmmmmmmmmm
IMHO Acres will be the best of all the players involved in that trade.

Even though Macca cant crack a game at the moment the deal was a win/win for both clubs.
Hawks have some serious ruck depth now. Hale, Macca & Ceglar arent exactly Gary Dempsey but all 3 are good rucks who all offer something different.
Hartung who i think was picked up as part of that deal looks to be a good young player as well.

If Macca hadve stayed with us he wouldve just been another player biding his time till we slowly climb up the ladder. Benny is awesome filling the hole and taking timely marks, but was never great at the tap outs. So he was never going to make a huge difference not being in our team whilst in a rebuilding stage.
Despite an understandable slow start for Savage. (It aint easy going from a great side to a crap one. Only freaks like Ablett can do that without missing a beat) We eventually got to see what an asset Savage will be for us. Wont be an A-GRADE gun. But will be a bloody good player.
Dunstan could be anything. IMO this kid can seriously play. Just needs another pre season or 2 to build the tank up.
Acres has big wraps but just didnt get a decent run at it in 2014.
No need for any Saints fans rubbishing Macca cos he is playing for Box Hill.
And Hawks fans laughing that Savage was playing for Sandy were forced to shut up as well.

Its gonna be a great trade for both clubs in the long run. Good luck to Big Ben.

Back