Last drinks at the Alexandria Hotel

Remove this Banner Ad

trewise

Debutant
Feb 14, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys, not sure where to post this and you guys may already know about it, but the Alexandria Hotel in Sydney is proposed for demolition.

Besides the SCG the Alex is the best place to watch footy, let alone the Swans, in Sydney (yes better than ANZ).

If you love your footy and love watching it at the pub can I suggest you write a quick objection email to the Council against the demolition. You could also suggest heritage listing.

Emails should be sent to: dasubmissions@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

You need to include this reference number in the subject title:
D/2015/772

More details here:

http://development.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/DAsOnExhibition/details.asp?tpk=1204858

And here:
http://savethealexpub.tumblr.com/

The tumblr link is a good resource for writing a more detailed objection.

Mods, feel free to move. I'd suggest its own page but that's up to you.

McGuireCanEatABagOfDicks

Last edited:
Hey guys, not sure where to post this and you guys may already know about it, but the Alexandria Hotel in Sydney is proposed for demolition.

Besides the SCG the Alex is the best place to watch footy, let alone the Swans, in Sydney (yes better than ANZ).

If you love your footy and love watching it at the pub can I suggest you write a quick objection email to the Council against the demolition. You could also suggest heritage listing.

Emails should be sent to: dasubmissions@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

You need to include them his reference number in the subject title:
D/2015/772

More details here:

http://development.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/DAsOnExhibition/details.asp?tpk=1204858

And here:
http://savethealexpub.tumblr.com/

The tumblr link is a good resource for writing a more detailed objection.

Mods, feel free to move. If suggest its own page but that's up to you.

McGuireCanEatABagOfDicks

Thanks for this. I had been debating whether or not to start a thread when someone posted about it earlier as I love watching footy at the Alexandria Hotel and had been toying with the idea of sending an email, but my gut feeling is the development will go ahead, given the current housing shortage in the inner city and the fact that it's in such a prime location. Still lodging an objection can't hurt I guess. It will hurt fans of other clubs too since there aren't that many pubs that are guaranteed to have the footy on up here. It will be sorely missed, will have a drink there before the season is out!

Thanks for this. I had been debating whether or not to start a thread when someone posted about it earlier as I love watching footy at the Alexandria Hotel and had been toying with the idea of sending an email, but my gut feeling is the development will go ahead, given the current housing shortage in the inner city and the fact that it's in such a prime location. Still lodging an objection can't hurt I guess. It will hurt fans of other clubs too since there aren't that many pubs that are guaranteed to have the footy on up here. It will be sorely missed, will have a drink there before the season is out!

We could open a bar together

Yep, I've posted a similar message on the Bombers board. I'd love it to spread to other boards if people think others would be interested. I agree, whether you live in Sydney or not, to lose the Alexandria Hotel is to lose Sydney's only real AFL pub.

Your comments around the demolition being a done deal are unfounded in this instance, although I appreciate where you are coming from. Objections in this instance will make a difference. Even if you write a quick email, it will help. I'll keep you guys updated.

McCasey would still have the license I would imagine, he was only leasing the pub. Maybe he will start up somewhereelse. Unfortunately, developers have the power these days.

Yep, I've posted a similar message on the Bombers board. I'd love it to spread to other boards if people think others would be interested. I agree, whether you live in Sydney or not, to lose the Alexandria Hotel is to lose Sydney's only real AFL pub.

Your comments around the demolition being a done deal are unfounded in this instance, although I appreciate where you are coming from. Objections in this instance will make a difference. Even if you write a quick email, it will help. I'll keep you guys updated.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it saved too, here are the social media links. They have about 450 likes so far on Facebook.

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/savethealexhotel

Twitter:
@SaveTheAlexPub

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do about it. Hate to see it happening but I understand from a business point of view why.

That's not true. If you feel strongly about it for any reason, submit an objection to council. Who knows if it will make a difference, but you'll never know if you never try. And writing an email is not exactly a huge investment of time.

From a business perspective, the pub has been doing just fine. This is not happening because the pub can't operate profitably, but because these developers have seen an opportunity and purchased the property specifically for the purpose of knocking it down. If Harry was the owner and struggling to make ends meet after years of trying, I'd absolutely agree with you.

Incidentally, Centennial Property Group is a shady group of investors with a myriad of companies and trusts designed to shield those involved from bad publicity. Their business plan is to maximise short term profit on difficult property development projects that are likely to scare off other investors. In this case, the perceived heritage value and sentimental role of the hotel is the "difficulty". For some information on a previous deal of theirs, check out this story. Their development application cites a need for affordable accommodation in Sydney, however these will be $700k+ one bedrooms, hardly affordable.

That's not true. If you feel strongly about it for any reason, submit an objection to council. Who knows if it will make a difference, but you'll never know if you never try. And writing an email is not exactly a huge investment of time.

From a business perspective, the pub has been doing just fine. This is not happening because the pub can't operate profitably, but because these developers have seen an opportunity and purchased the property specifically for the purpose of knocking it down. If Harry was the owner and struggling to make ends meet after years of trying, I'd absolutely agree with you.

Incidentally, Centennial Property Group is a shady group of investors with a myriad of companies and trusts designed to shield those involved from bad publicity. Their business plan is to maximise short term profit on difficult property development projects that are likely to scare off other investors. In this case, the perceived heritage value and sentimental role of the hotel is the "difficulty". For some information on a previous deal of theirs, check out this story. Their development application cites a need for affordable accommodation in Sydney, however these will be $700k+ one bedrooms, hardly affordable.

The local community will lose more than what it gains when local historical landmarks get knocked down, put pressure on the local council, once it is gone it is gone, hundreds of classical local pubs have gone the same way across all cities in Australia in the last 20/30 years.

If the Alex can't be saved, I wonder if the extra publicity will result in other Sydney venues picking up the slack as far as showing the AFL goes. However there aren't many pubs that can match the Alexandria for guaranteed coverage on their biggest screens with sound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The local community will lose more than what it gains when local historical landmarks get knocked down, put pressure on the local council, once it is gone it is gone, hundreds of classical local pubs have gone the same way across all cities in Australia in the last 20/30 years.

Exactly. Yes, more apartments need to be built to satisfy this insatiable demand. And they are being built by the thousand, in dozens of nearby developments. But 28 apartments is a drop in the ocean, and would have zero discernable impact on the supply in return for the loss of a local icon that's been operating for 129 years.

This city has apartment fever.

Their development application cites a need for affordable accommodation in Sydney, however these will be $700k+ one bedrooms, hardly affordable.
Sad to say that's pretty much the standard price for a one bedder near the CBD at the moment.

Sad to say that's pretty much the standard price for a one bedder near the CBD at the moment.

Yep that's the going price ... whether or not they build these ones.

I just hate the way they make it sound like they're doing the poor and disadvantaged a favour building "affordable housing".

It's because there is an undersupply of dwellings due to years of no construction and high population growth

It's that, and also an insatiable demand from overseas investors and a feeding frenzy from self-managed super funds. If we're really worried about spiralling housing prices perhaps demand should be tackled as well as supply.

It's that, and also an insatiable demand from overseas investors and a feeding frenzy from self-managed super funds. If we're really worried about spiralling housing prices perhaps demand should be tackled as well as supply.

Rental vacancy rates in Sydney are very low, and dwelling construction has been below the national average for over a decade. Investors are driving up prices, certainly, but there is a strong underlying demand. Sydney is nowhere near being oversupplied with units at this stage. Melbourne is a worry, though.

Councils...yeah well it isn't going to work. Happy to write an email (and I have) but I know councils, it will not work. You need to get the local member on board before you even approach council as then you would have backing.

If developers see money, they are welcome to do whatever they want, that is business. I don't want the hotel closing, but if another investment is more profitable and would bring more money into the economy then there isn't much we can do. I would love the Hotel to survive, it is a wonderful historical building, but I am sure they have done a feasibility study on it (not that I agree with the investment)

What you will find is a eventual softening of the real estate market and in Sydneys case maybe the bottom falling out of it, then people will find they regret losing a corner pub, a historical one at that.

Greed gets the better of most.

Hey Guys, if you haven't done so can I strongly suggest you send a quick email off today stating your concerns about the demolition of the Alexandra Hotel. Details on how to lodge a submission are here:

http://savethealexpub.tumblr.com/object

Otherwise you can email your objection to dasubmissions@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

Include reference Development Application number D/2015/772.

Submissions close next Tuesday. Don't wait till the weekend. Don't wait till next week. Do it now and get it out of the way. It's quick and easy and the beer drinking, schnitzel eating footy gods will bestow upon thee fortunes beyond your wildest imagination.

What a beautiful building. The interior looks original. I had a look at the website but it doesn't seem to have any info on when it was built, etc.

We need to do what we can to save beautiful buildings like this. Even if it ceases to be a pub, we need to retain the structure itself. Maybe they can build adjacent to it it integrate the two?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back