Universal Love SAYS IT ALL REALLY.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the we an beat all sides comment by Dimma.
I really like Ross Lyon's goal of what defines success at teams that he coaches, 'We want to be an anywhere, anytime team.'
He hit the nail on the head with that one. Sure, we can beat anyone on a given day when we're up and about and the top teams are maybe down a notch or two. But that doesn't define success. Ross Lyon's coaching philosophy defines success IMO.
No one is disputing that, no one is claiming we are even close to the finished article but we are doing a lot if things right and are closing the gap, it's ****ing hard and there is no easy solution.

No one is disputing that, no one is claiming we are even close to the finished article but we are doing a lot if things right and are closing the gap, it's ****ing hard and there is no easy solution.

Holy crap! Five-and-one-third years in still not "even close". What greater sign do you need that this era - like the ones that have gone before it - has been a failure? I mean, the writing was on the wall, late in 2013, when we lost twice in the space of a month to Carlton, who were crap then and even worse now. And these sorts of losses still happen with alarming regularity.

Holy crap! Five-and-one-third years in still not "even close". What greater sign do you need that this era - like the ones that have gone before it - has been a failure? I mean, the writing was on the wall, late in 2013, when we lost twice in the space of a month to Carlton, who were crap then and even worse now. And these sorts of losses still happen with alarming regularity.

In your mind what would be the ideal definition of progress for RFC ? Because it appears to me that the steps taken by the current administration have not met with your approval? I lean toward more patience due to the club's overall movement in the right direction, but that's me. I curious about your thoughts ??? It's easy to yell that's just not good enough from the sidelines...

Settle petal.

I've quoted Ross Lyon's definition of success and compared it to your quote from Dimma.

Dimma's quote is a glib throw away line given after a defeat. Lyon's is a philosophy that he has taken from club to club.

I know that we both understand that the club has work to do and that we are not a finished product.

Last edited:

Wow debt free, great facilities, stand alone VFL side. Young developing list. We are a lot closer then people think need a few holes to be filled on field and in footy dept and we'll be slamming down the door.

Don't think that we will ever see eye to eye, so let's just leave it there.
Go Tiges.

In your mind what would be the ideal definition of progress for RFC ? Because it appears to me that the steps taken by the current administration have not met with your approval? I lean toward more patience due to the club's overall movement in the right direction, but that's me. I curious about your thoughts ??? It's easy to yell that's just not good enough from the sidelines...

The basic problem, as I see it, can be seen in our best three players. At the risk of repeating myself, these were all high draft picks. Any club will get its share of good players from high draft picks. We need to do more than that. We need to show some sign of being smart. Of getting gun players out of nowhere. All the clubs that have ever gotten anywhere have done this. Otherwise, we will do what we are doing in perpetuity, which is rotating between seventh and 15th on the ladder.

Moreover, far from the club having undergone some massive change, what I see is more of the same. Throughout the last 30 years, we have seen the Tigers turn in anywhere between about five and 13 good performances a year, along with a sufficient scattering of absolutely woeful ones. We saw this last year, when we slumped to three and 10. We've seen it again this year, with losses to the Dogs, the Dees, North, and (*******) Geelong. At this rate, that head-ducking cheater will retire without ever having lost to the Tigers.

In short, we have achieved stuff-all.

Last edited:
Settle petal.

I've quoted Ross Lyon's definition of success and compared it to your quote from Dimma.

Dimma's quote is a glib throw away line given after a defeat. Lyon's is a philosophy that he has taken from club to club.

I know that we both understand that the club had work to do and that we are not a finished product.
Haha, wasn't trying to be aggressive or anything, and I wasn't actually quoting Dimma, I was quoting me. :oops:
Question for you though, do you think Ross Lyon would be saying the same things if he took over Carlton's list as opposed to the strong lists he took over at Freo and St Kilda?

Haha, wasn't trying to be aggressive or anything, and I wasn't actually quoting Dimma, I was quoting me. :oops:
Question for you though, do you think Ross Lyon would be saying the same things if he took over Carlton's list as opposed to the strong lists he took over at Freo and St Kilda?
It might have been last Sunday's Channel 7 footy show where they were discussing who were the most successful coaches in the modern era... Anyway, they finished up by agreeing that Leigh Matthews is the most successful and he made an interesting comment... He said part of being a successful coach is picking the right club at the right time. So I think Lyon wouldn't have taken the job...he's too smart for that.

Wow debt free, great facilities, stand alone VFL side. Young developing list. We are a lot closer than people think need a few holes to be filled on field and in footy dept and we'll be slamming down the door.

I must admit that I have a real problem with these concepts of "close" and far. I mean, how does anyone know whether, prior to the retirements of Cotchin, Deledio, and Riewoldt, we will pick up the gun midfielder, star ruckman, centre-half-back, small forward, and damaging shutdown player that we need to be a force?

It might have been last Sunday's Channel 7 footy show where they were discussing who were the most successful coaches in the modern era... Anyway, they finished up by agreeing that Leigh Matthews is the most successful and he made an interesting comment... He said part of being a successful coach is picking the right club at the right time. So I think Lyon wouldn't have taken the job...he's too smart for that.

Which backs up what This Is Anfield is saying. Lyon's mantra only works with a great list.
It's a great philosophy to have, don't get me wrong, but if Hardwick ever says anything like "playing footy the Richmond way" he gets rocks thrown at him. It's the same philosophy.
Lyon=Dimma
Freos list>Tigers list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit that I have a real problem with these concepts of "close" and far. I mean, how does anyone know whether, prior to the retirements of Cotchin, Deledio, and Riewoldt, we will pick up the gun midfielder, star ruckman, centre-half-back, small forward, and damaging shutdown player that we need to be a force?

Agree with that. Maybe we already have them.
C Ellis gun mid, Lennon gun mid/fwd (Deledio) castagna short small fwd.
Elton CHB.
Star ruck don't need but vickery can play there
Shutdown? Dunno, they s**t me as a species, so someone else can name one.

Million dollar question for all clubs, who knows which players will exceed expectations, Nat Fyfe, which players will not live up to expectations, Brad Sheppard, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Jordan Gysberts, Kane Lucas, Christian Howard and Luke Tapscott all taken before Fyfe.
Maybe Butler, Drummond, McBean, McKenzie, McIntosh, Vlaustin, Lennon, C Ellis, Elton, Griffiths will become these players, maybe not, I can't see the future, wouldn't be at work right now if I could, but all this won't stop me from giving my full support to all those that are at the club now.

Wait a minute! Didn't the club put together this swell looking balance sheet so that we could recruit/develop all the champions we need? Why are we still making excuses?

Not an excuse mate, just stating facts. Freo were miles ahead of us 3 years ago, but we're catching up.

Agree with that. Maybe we already have them.
C Ellis gun mid, Lennon gun mid/fwd (Deledio) castagna short small fwd.
Elton CHB.
Star ruck don't need but vickery can play there
Shutdown? Dunno, they s**t me as a species, so someone else can name one.

Shutdown? The kind of player who can not only keep Joel Selwood to five kicks but bob up for two or three goals.

Which backs up what This Is Anfield is saying. Lyon's mantra only works with a great list.
It's a great philosophy to have, don't get me wrong, but if Hardwick ever says anything like "playing footy the Richmond way" he gets rocks thrown at him. It's the same philosophy.
Lyon=Dimma
Freos list>Tigers list.
I don't know if I'm throwing rocks at anyone.

Lyon is more astute at getting the right people around him - playing, coaching, front office staff, etc. - and bringing the best out of them than Dimma. To say they are equal ignores their track record.

I can't see the future

I'm not asking you to. A good start would be to see what you can see. I said at the time, in 2013, that our two losses to Carlton were a sign that things were bad. And since then, it's been more of the same, with as many losses as wins. Yet still you want to run around saying it's all good, we're on track, etc. Based on what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back