Competitions SBFFL Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey guys,

Just throwing an idea out there. Would there be any interest on this board for a Fantasy Draft? a keeper league if possible?

These games are a lot of fun but the most challenging part is keeping a group of committed users together, with the activity level of this board it doesn't seem like it would be too challenging.

I think there would need to be at least 10 teams to make it worthwhile but the dream would be to build up to an 18 team comp with lists structured like the AFL. For an example of a good game have a look at s8.zetaboards.com/affl

Basically we would all draft a team and then we would have a league which plays out like a regular supercoach season.

We could sort out all the specifics if there was enough interest in relation to the rules etc.

Interest List:
Armoooo
12Chill
feisty
majortinkle
Phoenix_9
saintbatty
Left_Billings
SincMagic
St Kilda Death
CursingFijian
PetWussy
Choomah
Dewah
KingLonie

Last edited:

Me too - any chance of working it on a team v team schedule rather than just a cumulative league - always liked them but haven't done one for afl before.

I'd be keen, unless more well known posters are also keen. Would you want a squad of 40ish, and then play 22 vs 22? Or would you make it reduced numbers? would it be def 6, mids 8, rucks 2, fwds 8?

I'd be keen, unless more well known posters are also keen. Would you want a squad of 40ish, and then play 22 vs 22? Or would you make it reduced numbers? would it be def 6, mids 8, rucks 2, fwds 8?
These are all things we can sort out once we are a bit further along but basically every team would have 40 on their list and every week you pick a list of 22.

Players will be split into Def, Mid, Fwd and Ruck from supercoach and then divided into KPF and KPD by their definition in Champion Data's prospectus.

KPD's can play FB, CHB and back pockets.
SD's can play back pockets and flanks
Mids can play wing, centre, ruck and ruck rover.
Ruck can play ruck (obviously)
SD's can play forward pockets and flanks.
KPF's can play FF, CHF and forward pockets.
Interchange can come from any position.

Nothing set in concrete obviously. These games live and die on the commitment and buy-in from the players so we will figure it all out one issue at a time.

Personally I have always liked them to be the more involved the better, salary caps, contracts, free agencies etc. But that is not everyones cup of tea so we should be able to find a happy medium. I just feel that these games offer a more realistic approach than other fantasy comps. You can't have 6 midfield/forwards in your forward line etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are all things we can sort out once we are a bit further along but basically every team would have 40 on their list and every week you pick a list of 22.

Players will be split into Def, Mid, Fwd and Ruck from supercoach and then divided into KPF and KPD by their definition in Champion Data's prospectus.

KPD's can play FB, CHB and back pockets.
SD's can play back pockets and flanks
Mids can play wing, centre, ruck and ruck rover.
Ruck can play ruck (obviously)
SD's can play forward pockets and flanks.
KPF's can play FF, CHF and forward pockets.
Interchange can come from any position.

Nothing set in concrete obviously. These games live and die on the commitment and buy-in from the players so we will figure it all out one issue at a time.

Personally I have always liked them to be the more involved the better, salary caps, contracts, free agencies etc. But that is not everyones cup of tea so we should be able to find a happy medium. I just feel that these games offer a more realistic approach than other fantasy comps. You can't have 6 midfield/forwards in your forward line etc.
That's a lot of players to draft - would you aim to arrange a time when we'd all be available? We might have to start soon to finish before the start of the season if we give everyone 24 hours to make their pick.

That's a lot of players to draft - would you aim to arrange a time when we'd all be available? We might have to start soon to finish before the start of the season if we give everyone 24 hours to make their pick.
We would want to sort the rules out 100% before the draft. 12 hour time limits would probably be better. Passing on preference lists is the key to a quick draft.

Alright so we've reached a great starting point with 12 people. I think we should look at getting some ground rules set. I know the temptation is always going to be to hop into the draft but it's best to establish all this stuff before the draft so we know what we are drafting for. While we are sorting this stuff out there is still time for other people to put their interest forward as theoretically we can go up to 18 teams.

These are some proposals that I would like to put forward for list structure and scoring…

List Sizes –

Senior List:

Each team will draft a “Senior List” of 40 players. These players will be drafted in the National Draft (startup draft) and the Pre-Season Draft. Any AFL listed player can be drafted regardless of their list status with their AFL Club.

Rookie List:

Each team will be able to draft a further 4 rookies. These players will be drafted in a Rookie Draft to be held after the National and Pre-Season Drafts. The only players eligible for a rookie list will be players who are currently on an AFL Rookie list OR any senior listed player who has yet to debut.

Draft Structure –

National Draft:

Pick allocations will be randomly allocated. There will be a snake order system in place in which the draft order is reversed every round as illustrated below:

Round 1:

Pick 1: Team A

Pick 2: Team B

Pick 12: Team L

Round 2:

Pick 13: Team L

Pick 14: Team K

Pick 24: Team A

Pre-Season Draft:

After the National Draft all teams will have a chance to delist any players that they decide that they no longer want / need. For every spot on your list you open up by delisting a player you will be allocated a PSD Pick. We will then run another quick draft to assist teams address any list balance issues they may have encountered from their National Draft Selections. The order of this draft will be in reverse draft order, but will not be in a snake system.

Rookie Draft:

After the National and Pre-Season Drafts we will then have a rookie draft where each club can select 4 players who are on a rookie list or are yet to debut. The draft order will be the same as the PSD.

Scoring Systems and positions

The scoring system will be based on Supercoach scores from the corresponding AFL round.

Each team will select a 22 man line up which is designed to resemble the structure of an actual AFL team, each team can also select a captain who will score double points and a vice captain who will step up to become captain in the case of a late withdrawl.

Players will be divided into four positional categories by their super coach allocation (Def, Mid, Fwd, Ruck) and some players will be given a sub category of (Small Defender, Key Defender, Small Forward, Key Forward) based on their Prospectus Classification. Dual position rucks will be eligible as key position players, whereas dual position midfields will not.

Small Defenders can play in back pockets and on back flanks

Key Defenders can play in FC, CHB and in back pockets.

Midfields can play on the wings, centre and follower positions.

Small Forwards can play in forward pockets and on forward flanks.

Key Forwards can play in CHF, FF and in forward pockets.

Rucks can play ruck.

The interchange bench can be filled with players of any position.

I think the team limits - particularly the rookie list rules are touch and go for 12 teams I reckon and would be impossible for 18 as there may not be enough of those players left to pick. We'd basically be picking every player in the league and if people go early on some speculatives we won't be able to fill our lists.

Need to nail down keeper rules as they will have a big impact on the draft. Also the expansion/accession rules if we start at 12 and aim to get to 18 - not as crucial but will save arguments further down the line.

I think the team limits - particularly the rookie list rules are touch and go for 12 teams I reckon and would be impossible for 18 as there may not be enough of those players left to pick. We'd basically be picking every player in the league and if people go early on some speculatives we won't be able to fill our lists.

Need to nail down keeper rules as they will have a big impact on the draft. Also the expansion/accession rules if we start at 12 and aim to get to 18 - not as crucial but will save arguments further down the line.

I'm not sure what you mean by touch and go? do you mean that list sizes should be bigger or smaller?

As far as I'm aware just about every AFL team currently has around 40 senior players and 4-6 rookies. Let's call it a round 800 players.

If we go ahead with 12 teams we will only need 528 players which would give us 272 free agents which we could use as a waiver wire throughout the season. Ideally we would continue to bring in more teams which would mean the free agency would be smaller each season. In a perfect world every AFL player would be on a list and we wouldn't need the free agency at all.

In relation to how new teams would come in we would need to cross that bridge when it comes. it is hard to plan a long way out because it's not clear how even the lists will be at that stage. But in a relatively even competition you could let every team "safeguard" a handful of players with the rest of their lists going into a draft pool for the new clubs. Each club would have one play selected from each of the new clubs. Between those 12 picks and access to whatever free agents they want they already have a good building block. We are getting ahead of ourselves to think about it too much but it always helps to have some idea of where you want to head.

I'm not sure what you mean by touch and go? do you mean that list sizes should be bigger or smaller?

As far as I'm aware just about every AFL team currently has around 40 senior players and 4-6 rookies. Let's call it a round 800 players.

If we go ahead with 12 teams we will only need 528 players which would give us 272 free agents which we could use as a waiver wire throughout the season. Ideally we would continue to bring in more teams which would mean the free agency would be smaller each season. In a perfect world every AFL player would be on a list and we wouldn't need the free agency at all.

In relation to how new teams would come in we would need to cross that bridge when it comes. it is hard to plan a long way out because it's not clear how even the lists will be at that stage. But in a relatively even competition you could let every team "safeguard" a handful of players with the rest of their lists going into a draft pool for the new clubs. Each club would have one play selected from each of the new clubs. Between those 12 picks and access to whatever free agents they want they already have a good building block. We are getting ahead of ourselves to think about it too much but it always helps to have some idea of where you want to head.
I mean that there shouldn't be restrictions on who you can put in your rookie list really.

Chances are I'll be taking speculative picks on rookies and debutants reasonably early - that's assuming we get to keep 20-25 players for the next season I suppose. If everyone is the same there will be problems filling the rookie list if they are required to be 0 game players. If you make it that you can't go straight from rookie list to 1st 22 in one week I don't think it matters who you've got in your rookie list - look at farren Ray after all.......

I get what you're saying now. At the moment there would just need to be 48 players left to fill our rookie lists if we made it anything goes it would be the equivalent of just extending lists to 44 players.

By limiting the players available for the rookie draft it means that people will have to be more creative, it means that there is an opportunity to really separate the top from the crop and more closely emulates a real rookie draft.

If anybody else has an opinion on the matter please feel free to chime in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back