Remove this Banner Ad

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Thought I would open up a discussion with what each team member thought went right for them in draft, wrong for them, and what they regret or would change about their respective drafting.

Personally, I think I went a little early on the defense and lost out getting some solid midfield scorers early on in the piece to propel my scoring. Made a few blunders with my picks as well, going early on Hansen and Savage.

Im really happy with my general forwards and defenders and think this is where my better players lie, and am really happy with some of the older player steals I got such as Malceski, Cloke and Adcock. I kept my cards close to my chest with trading as well but ended up getting another KPF in McCartin which I sorely needed..

Anyone else want to share?

Pretty happy with my overall drafting strategy. I stayed focussed on scoring power when some others had started to think about key position players and as a result got a couple of gems like Montagna and Swan at Pick 56 and 57. Pick 1 was tough. I avoided Goldstein (last years supercoach MVP) because I just don't believe he will attain that level of output again, but I may very well have to eat my words. I avoided Fyfe and Ablett because of injury concerns and that may also come back to bite me. The change of direction into young talent was very interesting and I was concerned I was going to miss out on all the future stars at one point.

Petrie and Maric were my two worst picks (112 & 113) and I wish I had of picked up Bruce and Hawkins or Bruce and Brendan Goddard in hindsight. But oh well. That may end up being a masterstroke!

Like I said previously I am hoping that every long shot pays out!

I was also happy with my draft haul. I went in trying to make sure I had a nice balance of youth and quality scorers as it not only gave me more options during the draft to ensure I was bringing as much value onto my list as possible but it gave me a bit of flexibility to see how the draft played out before deciding on whether I would go for 2016 or try and build a long-term dynasty. I went for the former, but have still managed to hold onto some quality youth just in case I need to pull back for any reason.

I was really happy with my Ruck Division and Forward Line but my defense left a lot to be desired when I lost Hurley. I have since managed to significantly strengthen my back line and midfield group.

I feel like I've got a line up which can give it a real shake this year, but I could really benefit from a few breakout seasons, particularly for guys like Buntine, McKenzie, Conca, Elliot, Menzel etc.

I went VERY top heavy with the key forwards but there is a method to my madness. Key Forwards who score well are worth their weight in gold, I'm hoping I might have cornered the market a little bit and if a couple of the younger ones continue their development there is an opportunity for profit.

Good luck to all in the season ahead!!

Very happy, I feel I have enough proven scorers to be competitive early on, but I'm also very excited about the future prospects.

Jaeger O'Meara, Brad Crouch and Isaac Heeney all have very evident potential of becoming out and out bona fide star mids of the future, upset to miss out on Bont/Cripps but these 3 will do me fine; along with Tom Mitchell who is still very young, Polec, Matt Kennedy etc I feel I've built a strong midfield with both the present and future in mind. Have a deep running defence.

Felt i went early on gresh and fiorini.
But looking back the top young guns were already off the board so i had to pounce.

Was also left wishing i had of bit earlier on kpps so i could have had a couple of top tier guys but if i had of wouldn't have had as strong mids.
So its catch 22.

On review im pretty happy with how it went down.
Happy with my trades which were win/win imo.

Like most of us pretty happy with most of my draft. Kind of wish I was working off a spreadsheet rather than my phone the whole time, but I think I've put together a side that can challenge for the next 4 years. Hibberd and Hooker only strengthens me next year. Cannot wait for the season to start, should be a cracker, it's going to be very competitive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back