ROOKIE DRAFT CLOSING PICK

shurley.jpg

Sean Hurley (Fremantle)

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Definitely had a long hard think about these two with my last. Will be good players!

Are we waiting on anyone else?
I was the same only with harmes and Hurley. In the end though I've ended up with exactly the players I forecast I would a couple of weeks ago

Hurley won't come on this year. But he looks like he could be a special talent for the dockers from 2017. Just trying to make sure I get dibs. The other three rookies on my list though could all play a good number of games this year based on their preseason reviews to date. But it's still just a raffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Did anyone not end up with who they wanted in this Rookie Draft? It seems as though a lot of people got who they set out to grab..

Did anyone not end up with who they wanted in this Rookie Draft? It seems as though a lot of people got who they set out to grab..
Pretty much. I did want Tanner Smith, and I couldn't make up my mind between Hurley and Jayden Short at the Tigers. Everyone said this years draft pick was weak but a lot of the top 50 picks went in the end. Just shows everybody gets excited about the freshmen.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Not exactly. My 4 were on my shortlist but i did want Yarran and Okearny. Looking back i should have gone them 2 first. No big deal though. Not much in it by now.

Yeah lots of rookie mistakes with the drafting. I was going to pick up Morabito last on the basis you all would have dismissed him on his injury history and get NOK early. Maybe should have done that.

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Yeah I was pretty happy with my picks too.. Mason Wood I identified early as someone I wanted. Even in the National Draft. And I really wanted McGrath also. Didnt think much of Adcock but with us only being able to hold them for two years it made sense to grab a few guys that could be upgraded this year. Rate Josh Thomas very highly.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

The 4 I got were the exact 4 I wanted heading in (with the exception of Oscar McDonald, during the draft I noticed he was available and changed my mind from Joel Tippett to him) so I'm happy.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I needed a ruck/forward so happy to grab a first round pick in Apeness so late!
Sadly for him, the Freo training watchers are lamenting the fact that they don't think he will ever play again given his injury and his current attitude/body language. That's certainly what put me off.

Being realistic, I got who I wanted - probably would have selected 4 of the 1st half dozen rookies taken if I could have but I figured they would be popular.

Looking back at the whole draft process I'm happy enough with where I ended up but I'm scratching my head why I picked some guys as early as I did. How much better would my side be if I'd left them on the board for a couple (or ten) rounds? Some I can remember coinciding with positive articles so I got nervous, but others like Byrne......don't get me wrong, I'm glad I've got him but probably could have taken him in the rookie draft and I cant for the life of me remember what my thinking was at the time. There's still a lot of value at general defender left unselected so I definitely filled that part of my list too early.

The obsession with DPPs didn't do me any favours early on - especially given they didn't end up as DPPs in the majority of cases. The whole basis of it though was wrong in my mind really - I was going for the DPPs that I wasn't expecting to play in the lower scoring position this year which either wouldn't happen so I over-valued them or would happen and then they wouldn't be DPP next year - a tactical utensil up.

Key defender could be a massive bust for me, or if Tomlinson plays a lot and Dempster is classed as Key this season could be a set and forget relative strength in my team.

Injuries aside I think my relative success or failure will come down to my general forwards not called Martin, as they're all question marks to play/score. Just hope I have 3 to play each week tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back