SCG redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So apparently the SCG will be undergoing a redevelopment starting in March.

YOU don't get to 100 Test matches without looking a little frayed around the edges. But today, on the historic occasion of the start of the 100th Test match at the Sydney Cricket Ground, it will be announced that the grand old lady will be getting a facelift.
A $186 million redevelopment, which will be funded by the state and federal governments and the SCG Trust, is set to be announced prior to the start of today's Test match between Australia and India.
Work is likely to begin on the second stage of a four-part redesign - which will see the Noble, Bradman and Messenger stands demolished and replaced by a multi-level grandstand, for now called the Northern Pavilion - in March. It is hoped the works, which will raise the capacity of the ground from 45,758 to just below 48,000, will be completed by the Ashes Test of January 2014.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...dy-of-sport-20120102-1pifd.html#ixzz1iLC5XwPV

Not sure what impact this has on the Swans for this year. Has anyone who sits in those stands had any word from the membership department on getting their seats moved?

I wonder if they'll extend the field as well?

Its the good thing about having the SCG as our home ground as it is really easy to get the money for redevelopments. A lot of other AFL clubs and grounds would kill for the kind of money that governments throw at the SCG.

ipad-art-wide-a2-SCG-420x0.jpg

Statement made by Andrew Ireland regarding the upgrade of the SCG and how it may affect the Swans:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/127660/default.aspx

Im not Sydney based so it doesnt effect me at all, but I would be very happy to be a little inconvenienced by all this if I were, also it must be very encouraging to potential members and future supporters it sounds very impressive "world class".., it will be definitely a bragging point when discussing stadiums with ALL opposition supporters.. Great timing I reckon with GWS coming in, we just need to get rid of that shithole ANZ from our contract.

Im not Sydney based so it doesnt effect me at all, but I would be very happy to be a little inconvenienced by all this if I were, also it must be very encouraging to potential members and future supporters it sounds very impressive "world class".., it will be definitely a bragging point when discussing stadiums with ALL opposition supporters.. Great timing I reckon with GWS coming in, we just need to get rid of that shithole ANZ from our contract.

Yeh, pretty much my feelings. Continual upgradings of grounds is a good thing and it improves the experience for all at the ground and blah blah blah.

And definitely agree with the ANZ shithole. I've said it so many times before so I won't bother doing it again in depth, but that place sucks anus.

Statement made by Andrew Ireland regarding the upgrade of the SCG and how it may affect the Swans:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/127660/default.aspx

It reads to me that the Swans were almost caught unawares by this announcement;

As we understand it, this is the second of three stages in the masterplan for the redevelopment of the SCG.

The Board and management of the Sydney Swans would like to reassure all our stakeholders we have already initiated discussions with the SCG Trust to ensure there is minimal impact on our members and fans.

For now I offer the following key points, and we will share more information as soon as we can...

The timing of the announcement with the second test suggests to me that politics might have a bit to do with it.
The fact Big Bad Bustling Barry O'Farrell and Juilar were there suggests you may be right

Hey, was looking at the development reports and the field will also be lengthened by 3 meters, quoted from pdf page 4
(6) Lengthening of the playing field by approximately three metres at its northern end;
https://majorprojects.affinitylive.com/public/3512fd32938420089ea71eb56a1e8b6d/S75W Report-Final.pdf

My main concern here, and I am speaking from a point of ignorance as I have never attended a match at ANZ Stadium, is that the SCG, with the redevelopment, will still only hold a crowd of 48,000. Without ANZ Stadium, wouldnt that put us at a disadvantage in the future with big drawpower games. I dont know how many years before GWS and the Swans play off in front of a big crowd, but 48,000 is a small crowd in comparison with the major drawcard games at the MCG. If Collingwood v Carlton/Essendon can draw a sellout crowd in a home and away match in Melbourne, surely the Swans v GWS in the future could draw 60,000 or 70,000 (I did say in the future). Also, home finals being limited to 48,000 is also very restrictive.

My main concern here, and I am speaking from a point of ignorance as I have never attended a match at ANZ Stadium, is that the SCG, with the redevelopment, will still only hold a crowd of 48,000. Without ANZ Stadium, wouldnt that put us at a disadvantage in the future with big drawpower games. I dont know how many years before GWS and the Swans play off in front of a big crowd, but 48,000 is a small crowd in comparison with the major drawcard games at the MCG. If Collingwood v Carlton/Essendon can draw a sellout crowd in a home and away match in Melbourne, surely the Swans v GWS in the future could draw 60,000 or 70,000 (I did say in the future). Also, home finals being limited to 48,000 is also very restrictive.

yeah the more I look into it I agree it should hold more supporters, I hope we are compensated in some way during the redevelopment..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...the-sydney-swans/story-e6frf9if-1226236208559

This goes against my earlier views in this thread.

THE Sydney Swans have again drawn the short straw in the latest redevelopment of the SCG.

Again the scheduling of the project is against them because they now have competition in Sydney in the form of cross-town rivals the GWS Giants.
As Giants fans file into state-of-the-art Skoda Stadium (formerly the Showgrounds at Sydney Olympic Park), Swans fans will have to negotiate a construction site.

yeah the more I look into it I agree it should hold more supporters, I hope we are compensated in some way during the redevelopment..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...the-sydney-swans/story-e6frf9if-1226236208559

This goes against my earlier views in this thread.

THE Sydney Swans have again drawn the short straw in the latest redevelopment of the SCG.

Again the scheduling of the project is against them because they now have competition in Sydney in the form of cross-town rivals the GWS Giants.
As Giants fans file into state-of-the-art Skoda Stadium (formerly the Showgrounds at Sydney Olympic Park), Swans fans will have to negotiate a construction site.

I think this answers your question as to why the capacity has not been increased ...

"The overall capacity of the SCG will remain at 48,000, therefore there will be no contravention of the Stadium Australia Project Agreement Amendment Deed"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh s**t I'm slow I thought it was getting another redevelopment. I even opened up Ireland's statement.

Sorry for the confusion guys as I decided to bring back this old thread rather than create a new one especially since it was on the same topic. Sounds like the SCG might be getting another upgrade though.

Just a side note, the redevelopment of Allianz Stadium is completely lunacy and a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Allianz was a white elephant the day it was built.

I guess the argument is 3 modern stadia for a city the size of Sydney is justified (assuming the NRL hits its 20k avg crowd targets, Union doesn't fold, and soccer continues to grow).

They need to develop proper entertainment precincts, though. Just dropping millions into stadia means nothing unless it adds significantly to the cultural life of a city.

Adelaide oval and the new WA stadium seem to have it right.

The one thing Allianz has going for it is that at least it's near some bustling nightlife. I'd be more comfortable if we dropped some light rail in to make it easy to get from Chinatown and Circular Quay to the SCG and Allianz, though

Allianz was a white elephant the day it was built.

I guess the argument is 3 modern stadia for a city the size of Sydney is justified (assuming the NRL hits its 20k avg crowd targets, Union doesn't fold, and soccer continues to grow).

They need to develop proper entertainment precincts, though. Just dropping millions into stadia means nothing unless it adds significantly to the cultural life of a city.

Adelaide oval and the new WA stadium seem to have it right.

The one thing Allianz has going for it is that at least it's near some bustling nightlife. I'd be more comfortable if we dropped some light rail in to make it easy to get from Chinatown and Circular Quay to the SCG and Allianz, though
The light rail currently being built does go from the Quay to the SCG. http://www.sydneylightrail.transport.nsw.gov.au/latest/news

I wonder what impact this has on the Swans training and admin plans, there was word of building better facilities in SCG or nearby at Centennial Park

I wonder what impact this has on the Swans training and admin plans, there was word of building better facilities in SCG or nearby at Centennial Park
Think it dovetails neatly into our future plans. Our admin offices are I believe in sore need of an upgrade. The new stadiums/upgrades in the Moore Park precinct will offer opportunities for us.

Think it dovetails neatly into our future plans. Our admin offices are I believe in sore need of an upgrade. The new stadiums/upgrades in the Moore Park precinct will offer opportunities for us.

Sweet, saw the old player lockers and they were pretty dingy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back