SCG redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't understand the need to demolish Allianz and make it 55k+ capacity. Just a refurb of the current stadium would have been sufficient.

ANZ stadium will attract the big events with the roof and larger capacity, so I don't see the need for two 55k+ rectangle stadiums.

I really don't understand the need to demolish Allianz and make it 55k+ capacity. Just a refurb of the current stadium would have been sufficient.

ANZ stadium will attract the big events with the roof and larger capacity, so I don't see the need for two 55k+ rectangle stadiums.

I think they want to demolish Allianz because the facilities and seats etc. are all really old. It's looked pretty drab and tired for a very long time now. They've just put in enormous new screens at either end so they'll have to build around those I guess.

I'm with you on the need for two 55k plus stadiums though. For sport, Sydney pulls a crowd that big for the odd AFL final, Bledisloe Cup matches, Origin, NRL GF's and Socceroos matches. AFL finals are now at the SCG so you'd think ANZ could deal with the rest.

Although fans on the North Shore/Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs hate ANZ with a passion, so maybe that's the impetus for it. Keep ANZ out there for the huge matches and western suburbs matches, then litter some of the big events that could attract the toffed up crowd to Moore Park.

At least they're not going to build a third stadium at Moore Park. That was being mooted for a while.

A mini-Etihad would make me very jealous as an AR fan. In-door footy in winter would be the best way to sell the game in NSW. But that will never happen. Soccer, NRL and Union will benefit tremendously from a roof on a world class stadium.

A mini-Etihad would make me very jealous as an AR fan. In-door footy in winter would be the best way to sell the game in NSW. But that will never happen. Soccer, NRL and Union will benefit tremendously from a roof on a world class stadium.

I'd love to go to a Bledisloe or any test rugby at a roofed stadium. I went to Millenium Stadium in Cardiff a few years ago for a test and it was insane with 80k in there.

I think they want to demolish Allianz because the facilities and seats etc. are all really old. It's looked pretty drab and tired for a very long time now. They've just put in enormous new screens at either end so they'll have to build around those I guess.

I'm with you on the need for two 55k plus stadiums though. For sport, Sydney pulls a crowd that big for the odd AFL final, Bledisloe Cup matches, Origin, NRL GF's and Socceroos matches. AFL finals are now at the SCG so you'd think ANZ could deal with the rest.

Although fans on the North Shore/Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs hate ANZ with a passion, so maybe that's the impetus for it. Keep ANZ out there for the huge matches and western suburbs matches, then litter some of the big events that could attract the toffed up crowd to Moore Park.

At least they're not going to build a third stadium at Moore Park. That was being mooted for a while.

Allianz is also home ground for the Waratahs. Current NSW Govt is Liberal. Lots of members of Government would be connected to rugby union through their private school background.

rumour is the SFS rebuild has to occur if they want to bring in the light rail station they have planned due to some rubbish boundaries rubbish.
ANZ decision is curious for a number of reasons:
1: it's going to be converted to a true rectangle stadium
2: as part of the deal Sydney keeps the NRL GF for the next 20 years
3: this forces ALL AFL finals in Sydney to the SCG
4: locks the giants into having to work around the horticultural society every season.
5: means the thunder is guaranteed to play at the showground pretty much forever.

I went to a memorial service at Richmond F.C. last week and it must have cost the family a small fortune. It was even hosted by Steve Quartermain. I assume that RFC would have made some nice coin from the event.

It got me thinking that many other clubs such as Collingwood, Essendon, Bulldogs, Norf, etc would have the same ability to receive 100% of the profits from such functions as they are the sole tennants of their grounds. The Swans, to my understanding, however, lease their premises from the SCG Trust.

Does anyone know if the income from Swans functions goes to the Swans or the SCG Trust?

I went to a memorial service at Richmond F.C. last week and it must have cost the family a small fortune. It was even hosted by Steve Quartermain. I assume that RFC would have made some nice coin from the event.

It got me thinking that many other clubs such as Collingwood, Essendon, Bulldogs, Norf, etc would have the same ability to receive 100% of the profits from such functions as they are the sole tennants of their grounds. The Swans, to my understanding, however, lease their premises from the SCG Trust.

Does anyone know if the income from Swans functions goes to the Swans or the SCG Trust?

We pay a Lease but are able to earn income from events at the SCG that we run as long as we cover the cost of the Lease in the long run (not that its over the top to start with). So functions, seating, corporate and signage we make money from.

The "Lake" is a pond of festering stagnant water, the "park land" is a sparsely grassed outdoor carpark. For decades it has been an under utilised space, but as soon as someone wants to do something with it, the greenies and do-gooders will emerge to protect it.

The "Lake" is a pond of festering stagnant water, the "park land" is a sparsely grassed outdoor carpark. For decades it has been an under utilised space, but as soon as someone wants to do something with it, the greenies and do-gooders will emerge to protect it.

It's not much of a 'lake'. Centennial Park is fantastic, very large and this seems an eminently sensible way to go about replacing the old stadium and providing an elite facility right next to SCG hopefully involves the Swans.

SCG Trust makes enough money without encroaching on more public space, like nearby Moore Park Studios which was a massive failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds very similar to the situation we had in Melbourne with the Grand Prix and Albert Park Lake. It's far more inviting these days than it ever was prior to the GP.

It really comes down to whether people are currently using the parkland. Melbournes Olympic Park precinct for example was essentially a group of ovals that were only used on weekends for footy and cricket. Now it is one of the best sporting precincts in the world. I'm all for the retention of trees to act as the "cities lungs" but they can, and must, be planted elsewhere to compensate.

Last edited:
Not likely to happen but a light weight roof over the SCG would be awesome

optimism.jpeg

“The roof covered in transparent lightweight fabric will allow daylight in allowing good turf growth whilst allowing spectators to experience the pleasure of daylight as they watch the events.

“At night, the roof will glow and take on the appearance of a Japanese lantern.

“Together, the arches, catenary beams and lightweight fabric combine to create an overall effect that represents the traditional craft and modernist innovation of Japan.”

http://misfitsarchitecture.com/tag/new-national-stadium/

Interesting. Never really considered the bridge the first step in a longer strategy.

I will say that the public make very little use of that north-western corner of Moore Park next to Lakeside Oval. It's pretty hard-scrabble land that essentially functions as a car park a lot of the time anyway.

The fields over on the western side of Anzac parade are nicer, but even then still under-utilised.

The Olympic precinct in Melbourne adds so much to the cultural and public life of that city. If the SCG Trust precinct could approach that, with good public transport links, then the additional public utility would probably offset whatever was lost in terms of 'public land'. Like, centennial park, Robertson Rd fields, and bat and ball oval are all right there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back