Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfair comment IMO.

Are you not behind your computer like the rest of us.

Km's post has absolute merit and you have added nothing in your reply to confirm otherwise.

marvelous stuff
You took the words right out of my finger tips. A cyber sniper who pick off targets but never shows a face is essentially a heartless, Cromwellian-soul, deficient in the feelings and emotions enjoyed by more common folk, such as you and I would seem to be. Knightmare is a cyber God by comparison, a sage respected in forums far removed in space and time from our black and white sanctum. Thankfully there are posters of various degrees of popularity and football nous and knowledge prepared to put their cyber reputations on the line by offering ideas, views and feelings on football issues. :p

Yep - The Pick 6 Curse is Back

In 2012 and 2011 the clubs with those picks got it very right with the dogs taking Macrae and Port taking Wingard.

Scharenberg still has time to feature among that company.

In 2012 and 2011 the clubs with those picks got it very right with the dogs taking Macrae and Port taking Wingard.

He has but had a Shocking Start

He has but had a Shocking Start

It's more unfortunate than shocking as it has been out of his control with the injuries. Poor effort and poor play are not relevant factors at this point.

When he eventually gets his body right he has the chance to be key piece for us and one of our better performers.

You took the words right out of my finger tips. A cyber sniper who pick off targets but never shows a face is essentially a heartless, Cromwellian-soul, deficient in the feelings and emotions enjoyed by more common folk, such as you and I would seem to be. Knightmare is a cyber God by comparison, a sage respected in forums far removed in space and time from our black and white sanctum. Thankfully there are posters of various degrees of popularity and football nous and knowledge prepared to put their cyber reputations on the line by offering ideas, views and feelings on football issues. :p
s**t and I thought I was being straight and to the point.:)

On a lighter note I would like to think he bleeds B & W like the rest of us regardless of a difference of opinion.:thumbsu:

It's more unfortunate than shocking as it has been out of his control with the injuries. Poor effort and poor play are not relevant factors at this point.

When he eventually gets his body right he has the chance to be key piece for us and one of our better performers.

History would suggest a young player who has missed his first 2 years of AFL football, doesn't become an elite player. Add to the fact there isn't any elite players in the competition who have recovered from an ACL, especially at a young age. I'm not trying to be negative, but expectations for Scharenberg's career should be significantly lowered.

History would suggest a young player who has missed his first 2 years of AFL football, doesn't become an elite player. Add to the fact there isn't any elite players in the competition who have recovered from an ACL, especially at a young age. I'm not trying to be negative, but expectations for Scharenberg's career should be significantly lowered.

Sadly I agree with you. He still can become a Very Good Player but be expecting bit to much to come an Elite Player

It's a good comment and you're correct in picking up that correlation between missing the majority of those first two seasons and not becoming one of the elite footballers in the competition.

In saying that the things Scharenberg can do I don't see suddenly overnight leaving him and I'd be surprised to see him on return be completely useless and go on and struggle for the rest of his career. He reads the flight so well for the intercept marks. He has the strength 1v1. Athletically it's a setback and it also doesn't allow him the opportunity to shift into the midfield right away and won't allow him to address his footskill inconsistencies but even with a second year out of the game he can still become our Grant Birchall equivalent once healthy with a midfield move still possible later on.

I'm still highly optimistic Scharenberg goes on and has a strong career and I'm still expecting he eventually develops into a top 10 player for us even with the ACL knowing how good and how professional he is in what he does.

It's a good comment and you're correct in picking up that correlation between missing the majority of those first two seasons and not becoming one of the elite footballers in the competition.

In saying that the things Scharenberg can do I don't see suddenly overnight leaving him and I'd be surprised to see him on return be completely useless and go on and struggle for the rest of his career. He reads the flight so well for the intercept marks. He has the strength 1v1. Athletically it's a setback and it also doesn't allow him the opportunity to shift into the midfield right away and won't allow him to address his footskill inconsistencies but even with a second year out of the game he can still become our Grant Birchall equivalent once healthy with a midfield move still possible later on.

I'm still highly optimistic Scharenberg goes on and has a strong career and I'm still expecting he eventually develops into a top 10 player for us even with the ACL knowing how good and how professional he is in what he does.

Agree what you are saying. He probably won’t come a Purer Midfielder. But be a Very Good Rebounding Defender who can Intercept Marks and Can use the Ball Well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you make the mistake of lumping me in with the usual internet carpers go right a ******* head. I wish it was based on nothing, but unfortuately it isnt. Lets leave it at that shall we.
Not lumping you with anyone mate- not sure why you are taking it personally or upset with my post.

Made the point that there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support anything other than bad luck. Quite a few are drawing a long bow on what is available to them. If you have any inside knowledge good luck to you. The info in the public domain is that we had a DR there.

An nfl player had done an acl and pcl injury in december last year. He managed to recover in 8 months and has returned to heavy contact training last week. So it is possible that schazza could play the second half of next season provided collingwood get him back on recovery program as soon as possible.

Perhaps in future drafts we should target players whose immediate requirement is not an operation then rehab, the type of players likely to represent the club at VFL level from round 1 after their recruitment. We only had to wait 3 years for Thomas to play his first game, so Scharenberg and Freeman still have time to showcase proof of the vision behind their selection. Nevertheless, we cannot continue to provide our first round picks with so much idle time in their initial years at the club. A healthy top ten pick ready and able to represent the club from day 1 would be preferable to a player requiring a couple of bones be removed from both his feet.

Perhaps in future drafts we should target players whose immediate requirement is not an operation then rehab, the type of players likely to represent the club at VFL level from round 1 after their recruitment. We only had to wait 3 years for Thomas to play his first game, so Scharenberg and Freeman still have time to showcase proof of the vision behind their selection. Nevertheless, we cannot continue to provide our first round picks with so much idle time in their initial years at the club. A healthy top ten pick ready and able to represent the club from day 1 would be preferable to a player requiring a couple of bones be removed from both his feet.

You do make a Good Point that Picking Players that are Injured that Highly can be Risky

Based off a regular vfl watcher who knows the usual doc and also after the game spoke with a trainer who confirmed we were running a skeleton crew in that area.
Thanks for the feedback. Poor for a rich club to be understaffed but still hard to see how that lead to an injury usually based on bad luck. Caff as an example tonight.

I have no idea whether he did it turning, limping from the previous injury or in a collision, and my point is nor do others that are carrying on like pork chops.

At least you have provided something factual on the issue. Does anyone know how it happened? That would be a starting point prior to the board going into meltdown I would have thought.

Robbie Gray has become elite after an ACL

Thanks for the feedback. Poor for a rich club to be understaffed but still hard to see how that lead to an injury usually based on bad luck. Caff as an example tonight.

I have no idea whether he did it turning, limping from the previous injury or in a collision, and my point is nor do others that are carrying on like pork chops.

At least you have provided something factual on the issue. Does anyone know how it happened? That would be a starting point prior to the board going into meltdown I would have thought.

Look I agree some of it is bad luck but there obviously is an issue with our loads or methods to get so many soft tissue and tendon related injuries over a 2-3 year period.
Also the club has a history of sending players back out there, Pendles was sent out with a broken leg in 09? and then Ball in 12, this is where people are having an issue with it.

In the end it is speculation on all our behalf only the players, coaches, trainers and medicos would really have any proof either way.
And too add, the reports that the usual doc wasn't there, also doesn't necessarily mean that NO doctor was there. As the club has since come out and said it had a qualified doctor present and does so at all games.
Maybe the club had a new fill in doc which was mistaken for a jnr physio by the vfl watcher?
All I know is he was pretty adamant that he didn't see any senior doctors present watched Shaz get put through a test, which he was in discomfort and severely limited movement. He was then sent back out he then confirmed later with trainers.

Last edited:
Look I agree some of it is bad luck but there obviously is an issue with our loads or methods to get so many soft tissue and tendon related injuries over a 2-3 year period.
Also the club has a history of sending players back out there, Pendles was sent out with a broken leg in 09? and then Ball in 12, this is where people are having an issue with it.

In the end it is speculation on all our behalf only the players, coaches, trainers and medicos would really have any proof either way.
And too add, the reports that the usual doc wasn't there, also doesn't necessarily mean that NO doctor was there. As the club has since come out and said it had a qualified doctor present and does so at all games.
Maybe the club had a new fill in doc which was mistaken for a jnr physio by the vfl watcher?
All I know is he was pretty adamant that he didn't see any senior doctors present watched Shaz get put through a test, which he was in discomfort and severely limited movement. He was then sent back out he then confirmed later with trainers.
Does any one know if it was his knee or ankle getting worked before he was sent out?

David a Schwarz won a B&F after having 3 reco's and surgery has advanced a lot more since the mid 90's so fingers crossed he still has a bright future.

The fact that Scharenberg has gone from foot injury to knee is what concerns me and demonstrates that the clubs trainers and medical staff aren't identifying muscle weaknesses and working to create that correct muscle balance to avoid injury.

It's been a constant theme with those injured players - Reid, Beams, Swan and Brown among others continuing to get injured soon after they've just come back from injury also suggesting that they're not properly helping strengthen those weaknesses on return, not properly understanding the correlation between weaknesses in one set of muscles with injury in another set of muscles (eg. hamstring weakness and backs).

Thanks Kniightmare - so frustrating that an anonymous 17-19 year old poster with almost certainly no medical or sports science education knows more about sports science injury rehabilitation and management than the numerous actual sports science and injury professionals at the club who have actual qualifications AND experience in the field.

And what's more, you seem to have been able to do it by just reading articles and without even doing a single test, or looking at a single player...

We need to act on this - how quickly can you call Eddie directly and mention this to him? We need you at the club as soon as possible!

An nfl player had done an acl and pcl injury in december last year. He managed to recover in 8 months and has returned to heavy contact training last week. So it is possible that schazza could play the second half of next season provided collingwood get him back on recovery program as soon as possible.
Straight line sport.

Shazza can recover, he's just wiped next year. Freeman is actually the one we need to get right immediately because he has the potential to add speed across half forward

IIRC Krak recovered from his ACL (relatively) quickly too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back