Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I agree some of it is bad luck but there obviously is an issue with our loads or methods to get so many soft tissue and tendon related injuries over a 2-3 year period.
Also the club has a history of sending players back out there, Pendles was sent out with a broken leg in 09? and then Ball in 12, this is where people are having an issue with it.

In the end it is speculation on all our behalf only the players, coaches, trainers and medicos would really have any proof either way.
And too add, the reports that the usual doc wasn't there, also doesn't necessarily mean that NO doctor was there. As the club has since come out and said it had a qualified doctor present and does so at all games.
Maybe the club had a new fill in doc which was mistaken for a jnr physio by the vfl watcher?
All I know is he was pretty adamant that he didn't see any senior doctors present watched Shaz get put through a test, which he was in discomfort and severely limited movement. He was then sent back out he then confirmed later with trainers.
Agree with the first part of your post- in fact with most of your post. Our fitness / sports science department has a lot to answer for absolutely- people need to lose their jobs.

On this issue- does anyone know how it happened or what the first injury was? There seems to be silence an this actual matter but people are happy to pot the club, that is my point.

I will be first in line with the lynch mob if someone can shed some light on the matter on what happened and it is shown to be some junior medicos fault that he was sent on with a knee injury ( or injury that lead to the knee injury). However people are bagging the club with limited information.

On this issue I will lean towards bad luck with a knee injury till facts indicate otherwise. Some (not you) look for any excuse to bag the club.

He'll come back and be a good player, as good? Time will tell. I have no doubt a young man can recover and get his fitness up, but this setback to his development in AFL is shocking. We'd have been hoping for him to come in next year so that the year after he was set to explode.

He'll get there, but not as soon as we'd all hoped which makes me less excited about next year. Hopefully Freeman can get his body right for next year as we'll need some development going on.

Very good chance, the ACL was gone after the 1st incident. The 2nd incident just confirmed it was gone.

I was playing with a guy one day where the same thing happened. He jinked one way and felt his knee go from underneath him. Goes off the ground, does some run throughs and the knee feels OK. Goes back on, goes to turn sharply and goes down like a sniper has got him.

Doctor told him likely he did it the 1st time and the 2nd incident was just a normal, post tear occurrence.

We're all upset that he's done an ACL and some feel the need to apportion blame. With so many soft tissue injuries I can understand and rightly so but an ACL is just bad luck and a freak accident. Like I said, very good chance it was already gone and going back on only confirmed it.

Tim Horan, a Rugby International Wallaby had a knee reco or 2 and came back with his pace eventually. It did take him a couple of years though. Didak also came back very well after his reco in 2006. I know he was a much shorter player, but Dids had his operation in September/October and returned for the ANZAC Day game in 2007. He also had a great finals series that year.

My greatest concern is now the amount of time it will take Shaz to get his fitness levels up to the level required to compete consistently at AFL level. He'll have missed a big part of 2 years hard training including 2 pre-seasons. We'll be conservative with his rehab and I expect him to start playing around mid year next year. Having done an ACL myself, it was about the 9 month mark where my knee started feeling quite strong again and I wasn't at an elite level and basically did the rehab myself based on the doctors instructions.

Given he's not reliant on his pace or evasive abilities, I expect a full recovery and he can become the player we expect him to be. I personally don't want him to become a big bodied midfielder. I prefer a big bodied Luke Hodge style player, being the general from the back half. That is where most attacks are launched from in the current AFL environment.

Straight line sport.

Shazza can recover, he's just wiped next year. Freeman is actually the one we need to get right immediately because he has the potential to add speed across half forward
No, the position the guy plays requires a s**t ton of running and twisting and turning whilst back pedaling . So he pretty much covers all the types of.motiom that are present in afl.

Very good chance, the ACL was gone after the 1st incident. The 2nd incident just confirmed it was gone.

I was playing with a guy one day where the same thing happened. He jinked one way and felt his knee go from underneath him. Goes off the ground, does some run throughs and the knee feels OK. Goes back on, goes to turn sharply and goes down like a sniper has got him.

Doctor told him likely he did it the 1st time and the 2nd incident was just a normal, post tear occurrence.

We're all upset that he's done an ACL and some feel the need to apportion blame. With so many soft tissue injuries I can understand and rightly so but an ACL is just bad luck and a freak accident. Like I said, very good chance it was already gone and going back on only confirmed it.

Tim Horan, a Rugby International Wallaby had a knee reco or 2 and came back with his pace eventually. It did take him a couple of years though. Didak also came back very well after his reco in 2006. I know he was a much shorter player, but Dids had his operation in September/October and returned for the ANZAC Day game in 2007. He also had a great finals series that year.

My greatest concern is now the amount of time it will take Shaz to get his fitness levels up to the level required to compete consistently at AFL level. He'll have missed a big part of 2 years hard training including 2 pre-seasons. We'll be conservative with his rehab and I expect him to start playing around mid year next year. Having done an ACL myself, it was about the 9 month mark where my knee started feeling quite strong again and I wasn't at an elite level and basically did the rehab myself based on the doctors instructions.

Given he's not reliant on his pace or evasive abilities, I expect a full recovery and he can become the player we expect him to be. I personally don't want him to become a big bodied midfielder. I prefer a big bodied Luke Hodge style player, being the general from the back half. That is where most attacks are launched from in the current AFL environment.

Same as Ball year or 2 ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO can someone give me a time frame of his rehab and when you'll think he'll get his first AFL game, cheers.
They all vary dont they, not sure if anyone will be able to make a reliable call on that for a while. Didnt Macaffer and Krak make really quick recoveries a couple of years ago? They did theirs in February and played again in August I think. So if 6 months is best case scenario he could be nearly ready around the start of next season, for VFL anyway. Wouldnt hold my breath though

He's young and ill back him in to get back to 100% over the next few years and also the Dr's as well to do a great job with collingwoods physiotherapy staff as well. All of us collingwood supporters should also be positive and wish the schazza the best to get back with our support instead of negative post he will be slow bla bla bla cos you don't know how he will come back. :)

Last edited:
No. Pace won't be affected. Will have potential hamstring problems because of the use of the hamstring tendon to form his new ACL.
I think everyboy at the clun are allready very impressed by shazza. I think we would have still taken him because he has a lot of luke hodge about him

They all vary dont they, not sure if anyone will be able to make a reliable call on that for a while. Didnt Macaffer and Krak make really quick recoveries a couple of years ago? They did theirs in February and played again in August I think. So if 6 months is best case scenario he could be nearly ready around the start of next season, for VFL anyway. Wouldnt hold my breath though
Libba got back in 9 months

This really is a devastating end to the one of the most unlucky seasons I can ever remember for the pies. Scharenberg is the one player everyone has been waiting for and would be the last player on our list you would want to be so injury plagued as he is the one to lead our future brigade of young talent and has so much talent himself!

No one knows how it will effect him playing wise long term but it's clear his development and fitness will take a massive hit. It will take a long while for him to be the player we we were hoping he would be.

An acl is clearly the injury that we most dread for a player but I take solace knowing that players like Selwood, Goddard and Griffin have all had an acl injury and developed in to champions of the game. I think the most concerning thing for me is not whether he will be able to recovery and play at a high level but the increased chance of it going again especially considering he hasn't had time to establish himself.

Let's just hope this is bumpy start for Shazza and that he gets the opportunity to fulfil his undoubted potential. I'm staying positive and am of the notion that because he is so young he will be able to turn his bad fortunes around, make a full recovery and be a massive part of our future! All the very best to him, he has the club and all of its fans full support, we will all be behind him for the long haul and wish him a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
This really is a devastating end to the one of the most unlucky seasons I can ever remember for the pies. Scharenberg is the one player everyone has been waiting for and would be the last player on our list you would want to be so injury plagued as he is the one to lead our future brigade of young talent and has so much talent himself!

No one knows how it will effect him playing wise long term but it's clear his development and fitness will take a massive hit. It will take a long while for him to be the player we we were hoping he would be.

An acl is clearly the injury that we most dread for a player but I take solace knowing that players like Selwood, Goddard and Griffin have all had an acl injury and developed in to champions of the game. I think the most concerning thing for me is not whether he will be able to recovery and play at a high level but the increased chance of it going again especially considering he hasn't had time to establish himself.

Let's just hope this is bumpy start for Shazza and that he gets the opportunity to fulfil his undoubted potential. I'm staying positive and am of the notion that because he is so young he will be able to turn his bad fortunes around, make a full recovery and be a massive part of our future! All the very best to him, he has the club and all of its fans full support, we will all be behind him for the long haul and wish him a speedy recovery!
If mike pike can play afl i'm sure schazza can get back ok :)

There were 23 ACL injuries last year which Is huge. Here are a few players that have come successfully from them we can only hope that shazza is one of them.

I may have forgotten a few

Tex walker
Robbie gray
Andrew walker
Courtney Dempsey
Jason winderlich
Matthew suckling
Ryan schoenmakers
Lenny Hayes
Luke ball
Alan Toovey
Rhyce shaw
Nick malceski
Mark lecras
Troy menzel

An nfl player had done an acl and pcl injury in december last year. He managed to recover in 8 months and has returned to heavy contact training last week. So it is possible that schazza could play the second half of next season provided collingwood get him back on recovery program as soon as possible.

It's the exception rather than the rule.

If you switch the TV to the NBA and Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls you'll find the more normal time-frame is closer to one year which is consistent with what we see in the AFL with guys who go for the traditional knee recos. It's an injury where even after a year and they come back they mostly take another year on top of that before they get back to playing their usual game which is something I imagine a few fantasy football players will have picked up over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back