Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Licuria had two recos before his two Copelands and never had another knee issue in his career. Its not a death sentence.

Of course a lot of players make full recoveries and it's never a problem again, but some don't.

Would never wish an ACL on any player.

All we can do is give him the best rehab team and put him in cotton wool for 2015

Of course a lot of players make full recoveries and it's never a problem again, but some don't.

Would never wish an ACL on any player.

All we can do is give him the best rehab team and put him in cotton wool for 2015

Lots of other players never have knee troubles and suddenly suffer an ACL later in their careers

Scharenburg will be appropriately managed and theres no reason he wont make a full recovery.

Lots of other players never have knee troubles and suddenly suffer an ACL later in their careers

Scharenburg will be appropriately managed and theres no reason he wont make a full recovery.

Sadly I have zero faith in our club to appropriately manage rehabilitation.

How many players have we had re-injure themselves coming back from an injury in the last few years? Almost too many to count

New medical team. I'm prepared to have faith in the club.

We've only seen 1 appointment with Bradshaw replacing the old doctor.
Marty Girvan got sacked and hasn't been replaced.
If anything, our sports science and medical team is less resourced than last year.

Yes. More can be less if they are incompetent. Besides, whos to say we will have a smaller medical team? The support staff has not been finalised yet

Can I ask why you believe it's good management?
I don't know one industry where if you have a downturn in performance and output, the solution of cutting staff is good practise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've only seen 1 appointment with Bradshaw replacing the old doctor.
Marty Girvan got sacked and hasn't been replaced.
If anything, our sports science and medical team is less resourced than last year.

Mick Dugina is there still and who knows what happens post Marty Girvan leaving? Maybe we don't need a replacement, maybe the duties will be shared.

Honestly, you're just dabbling in guess-work here which is not particularly helpful.

I don't know one industry where if you have a downturn in performance and output, the solution of cutting staff is good practise.

Organisations restructure all the time. When I started working at Telstra they had 90,000 employees and when I left they had 42,000. I don't particularly like rapacious corporations but the fact was they did well in profit terms in that period.

The other thing to say is that besides restructuring sometimes you need to identify weaknesses to ameliorate damage. What is a little bit irksome is the idea that when the club conducts a review and makes changes, they are charged with mismanagement as they would be if they did nothing. Can't win.

Mick Dugina is there still and who knows what happens post Marty Girvan leaving? Maybe we don't need a replacement, maybe the duties will be shared.

Honestly, you're just dabbling in guess-work here which is not particularly helpful.

Mick's background and training is in boxing.
Girvan was the weights coach, he came from a weightlifting background.
Davoren purely does the aerobic training, that is his background.
There is no one who has an an-aerobic background.

The previous club doctor presided over a pretty poor year with injury management and hes been replaced with a guy who has has success at Geelong over a long period of time. Its you who is jumping to conclusions about how big his team needs to be. Youre also assuming that the hiring has been completed.

Mick Dugina does weights not just boxing. Do you think he stands around all week waiting to oversee sparring sessions?

Maybe we'll get Paul Turk. Maybe we don't need someone full-time, who knows.

All I know is you don't know so why are you making a mountain out of a molehill?

Uh...basically any industry? If your staff are not performing their roles, or are incapable of performing them well, then they are redundant and taking up space and finance.

Why would you not cut staff in that case?

Haha, I don't think you realise just how fit boxers have to be. Professional boxers would be fitter than your average AFL player and would definitely do more anaerobic exercise. The fact that you are questioning our anaerobic training credentials when we have a boxing coach and a weights trainer on board makes me wonder if you know what anaerobic exercise is?

Haha, I don't think you realise just how fit boxers have to be. Professional boxers would be fitter than your average AFL player and would definitely do more anaerobic exercise. The fact that you are questioning our anaerobic training credentials when we have a boxing coach and a weights trainer on board makes me wonder if you know what anaerobic exercise is?

I don't think I ever discounted 'boxing'..
But boxing is largely an aerobic activity. You use your cardio-vascular system.
Weight lifting utilises specific muscles in one/two movements and is largely an an-aerobic activity.
I don't think if you go around the league that there would be boxing coaches who take care of the weight lifting component of training.

Wooooow momma
I'm am so excited
I can't put into words my excitement
That boy is gunna be an absolute
Through and through jet.. Of the highest calibre
You can just see it in his eyes
Freeman for rising star 2015 bookmark it

I like your optimism I hope your right. Size, strength and pace . Just hope he can find the footy and knows how to use it

It's two months on from the reco - I would have been worried if he wasn't in rehab (although he's been doing rehab at various levels since the op anyway). Now is the most dangerous / important time for his long term recovery prospects while the graft is at its weakest and he's regaining his range of motion.

Shazza is every bit of 6'3" and Freeman would be a touch shy of 6', so that picture is about what you'd expect (3 inches or so difference).

Shazza looks pretty lean.. He needs to hit the weights pretty hard over the next six months whilst he is in rehab..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back