Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask why you believe it's good management?
I don't know one industry where if you have a downturn in performance and output, the solution of cutting staff is good practise.
I don't know a lot about it but maybe having fewer staff will make them more accountable

I don't think I ever discounted 'boxing'..
But boxing is largely an aerobic activity. You use your cardio-vascular system.
Weight lifting utilises specific muscles in one/two movements and is largely an an-aerobic activity.
I don't think if you go around the league that there would be boxing coaches who take care of the weight lifting component of training.
Nice stealth edit...

Of course they still use their cardio vascular system, they'd die if they didn't... While doing anaerobic activity you still need aerobic capacity. While it might be largely aerobic it is more anaerobic, if anything AFL would more aerobic.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think you know more than the club about the credentials of the coaching staff based on a quick Google search (I'm guessing that's where you found their backgrounds).

Why do our more vocal supporters carry on like we have a bunch of idiots in charge? We spend more in our football department than every other club, I'm sure we haven't just hired Muppets without checking their credentials.

Weight lifting utilises specific muscles in one/two movements and is largely an an-aerobic activity.
I don't think if you go around the league that there would be boxing coaches who take care of the weight lifting component of training.

That escalated quickly...

Agree to disagree boys.. Fwiw I think the club know what they are doing.. If they think they need a new weights coach one will be hired in the next month prior to preseason starting. If not I imagine the team already in place should have it covered

Sadly I have zero faith in our club to appropriately manage rehabilitation.

How many players have we had re-injure themselves coming back from an injury in the last few years? Almost too many to count
But how many have come back from acl and where've had a few lately and redone it can't think of one
Our medical prob is not joint related shoulders knees
It's soft tissue that we can't get a handle on hamstrings quads calfs bicep too much load through specific muscles that are underdeveloped and not givin enough time for gradual changes but that's the demands of the game I guess

But how many have come back from acl and where've had a few lately and redone it can't think of one
Our medical prob is not joint related shoulders knees
It's soft tissue that we can't get a handle on hamstrings quads calfs bicep too much load through specific muscles that are underdeveloped and not givin enough time for gradual changes but that's the demands of the game I guess

Macaffer and Brown

Tim Horan, Rugby international for the Wallabies in the 90's, had a knee reco. Was a gun when he did it. Within 2 years he was quicker than previously and became the best centre in the game. Medicinal treatment, rehab and the operation itself is far more advanced now, 20 years later, than what it was then.

I've little doubt Shaz will make a full recovery. It will stunt his developmental years a bit but I still believe he can become the player we hoped for when we drafted him. It may just take another year or 2 longer than we envisaged.

Actually, you know what, maybe I'm in the wrong by arguing about this. I don't think you're trying to upset anyone by giving your opinion and you're entitled voice your concerns. I just sometimes get a little defensive about anything remotely negative in regards to the Pies. I am probably about as one eyed as you can get, but that's just how I roll :)

Macaffer and Brown
Caff did his opposite knee. Can't blame the old injury for that one.

Has Brown done his knee twice? I thought it was only once, then broke his kneecap. This is his second shoulder reco though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caff did his opposite knee. Can't blame the old injury for that one.

Has Brown done his knee twice? I thought it was only once, then broke his kneecap. This is his second shoulder reco though.

This is no place for facts and logic, sir.

This is no place for facts and logic, sir.
Apologies. I should have remembered that proper protocol here is to create an account and then start posting whatever random crap comes into my head, regardless of whether it is factually correct or not :cry:

Tim Horan, Rugby international for the Wallabies in the 90's, had a knee reco. Was a gun when he did it. Within 2 years he was quicker than previously and became the best centre in the game. Medicinal treatment, rehab and the operation itself is far more advanced now, 20 years later, than what it was then.

Robbie Gray from all reports had one of the worst ACL's in footy, just look at him this year, career best form.

Sadly I have zero faith in our club to appropriately manage rehabilitation.

How many players have we had re-injure themselves coming back from an injury in the last few years? Almost too many to count
Including Scharenberg.

That escalated quickly...

Agree to disagree boys.. Fwiw I think the club know what they are doing.. If they think they need a new weights coach one will be hired in the next month prior to preseason starting. If not I imagine the team already in place should have it covered
Escalation? What escalation? Seemed more like a discussion to me, but I suppose we all read things differently.

Bit melodramatic in here at the moment.

Surely the club and most likely all clubs, would place a high value on acl tear prevention measures by now. You'd be silly not to.

It's just one of those unfortunate and innocuous things that happens in sport. You can hardly blame the medical staff for it.

The other injuries may be a different story but I really don't know.

Bit melodramatic in here at the moment.

Agree 100% - when you have something happen like the incident with Ball then you can say "yep - that was pretty stupid".

For a one-off incident where there's no recent history of issues with the knee in question it's pretty much just dumb luck unless the player's bio-mechanics or conditioning are completely out of whack in some way and you can't really make that claim about Caff or Shaz leading into the games where they popped their ACL's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back