Recommitted Matthew Scharenberg [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is now playing VFL and starting to impress. Very highly rated by the pies so will be hard to budge unless he wants to go home. Swapping him for Aish seems close however there is no way that will happen. Aish to Pies or they both go to Adelaide would be my guess and we get the Pies first rounder (provided they start losing some:D).

Would he remain unsigned to this point simply because he hasn't played but is a chance towards the end of season? If he shows something in the last few weeks is the year (even at VFL) he is going to get a much better deal with the Pies. If he signed early this year he would only get a minimal pay rise. If he plays and duds it up he will still get a minimal pay rise and everyone will excuse his form due to missing a lot of footy/training.

He has nothing to lose by singing when he is ready.

Dangerfield for Scharenberg and Collingwood's first on-traded to Brisbane for Aish. I could almost live with that. Infinitely more palatable than a compo pick.

Dangerfield for Scharenberg and Collingwood's first on-traded to Brisbane for Aish. I could almost live with that. Infinitely more palatable than a compo pick.

That would be a fair result but would go for someone more reliable than Sharenberg for Patty Dangerfield. Plenty of top five picks have failed miserably.

2009 - Scully, Morabito, Trengrove
2012 - Orourke, Plowman, Toumpas

If they haven't shown anything in two years to the rookie list or delist I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done his ACL since being drafted, has definitely lost some value. Late 1st/early 2nd imo.

Agree. As I said pick 10-20, but probably closer to 20. It all depends on which club he nominates and what pick that club has. If he nominated Adelaide and they have pick 15 (1st rounder) that pick would do it. If he nominated Port and they had pick 25 (2nd rounder) that pick and perhaps a pick upgrade would do it. The power is in who Berg nominates as he's not contracted.

not wanting to derail this, but just interested in the thought process.

Motlop seems to only garner interest ( in what I have read) as a mid Rd1 pick. Yet Aish and Scharanberg are being discussed at the same value.

My question is derived from Mots actually delivering some results on the field yet drafted at 38. The other two have delivered very little by comparison yet drafted a lot higher…

Thus are we rating draft position and potential over actual results?

Again, just curious….

GO Catters

In my opinion Motlop holds similar value to Berg and Aish. Assuming Motlop is not contracted?

We're gonna match and force the trade

Is that a fact? I've read news articles suggesting that may occur I've also read rumours the Cats will pay 1.2 million in the first year. We are yet to see a team match a free agents offer, but until that happens (it could) my line of thinking is you receive band 1 compensation. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some backend deals between Adel and Cats, i.e. let Danger go as a free agent and we'll give you motlop (insert whatever player) for under (Crows 2nd rounder / pick 30 or so).

Is that a fact? I've read news articles suggesting that may occur I've also read rumours the Cats will pay 1.2 million in the first year. We are yet to see a team match a free agents offer, but until that happens (it could) my line of thinking is you receive band 1 compensation. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some backend deals between Adel and Cats, i.e. let Danger go as a free agent and we'll give you motlop (insert whatever player) for under (Crows 2nd rounder / pick 30 or so).

Well its up in te air to an extent but there is strong expectation among members and I've heard Ricciuto, Noble and most recently (last week) Scotty Thompson all say they fully expect us to match

Edit: also we still have a large chunk of Tippet's 800k we've rolled over (see our 1.2m offer to Cameron) plus Danger's current salary to play with.

Well its up in te air to an extent but there is strong expectation among members and I've heard Ricciuto, Noble and most recently (last week) Scotty Thompson all say they fully expect us to match

Edit: also we still have a large chunk of Tippet's 800k we've rolled over (see our 1.2m offer to Cameron) plus Danger's current salary to play with.

If the Crows match I can see it pissing off Danger, the Cats and the AFLPA. I would expect a rule change soon after getting rid of the restricted free agent rule. I would also expect the Cats to let the Crows know they will not be involved in a trade and get Danger through the preseason draft. In the end the Crows get nought.

If the Crows match I can see it pissing off Danger, the Cats and the AFLPA. I would expect a rule change soon after getting rid of the restricted free agent rule. I would also expect the Cats to let the Crows know they will not be involved in a trade and get Danger through the preseason draft. In the end the Crows get nought.

Why the hell did they create an RFA rule if they didn't like the consequences of it?

Couldn't give a rat's tossbag. If you could get Dangerfield for Motlop and your first would you do that or gamble on him going to Carlton or St Kilda etc in the PSD?

Remembering that there is a lot of romance in getting Danger to Geelong, a lot of pressure on the club to get it done and their playing group also take a lot of pride in their equitable payment structure, meaning it would be hard to price him out of reach of some bottom sides when they also have to accomodate Hawkins.

Every AFC member I've spoken to would prefer us to match and gamble on getting something half decent rather than give a rival a free hit and get a compo pick only. If Geelong's commitment to Dangerfield is sincere they won't quibble over a fair trade.

So you don't understand how the rule works? What has it go do with how many times it's been used how many RFA, s have moved since the rule has been in!

I understand the rule just fine. What has no club matching an offer for a free agent got to do with it? When you are making predictions on future outcomes past information is a good reference point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back