Schoenmakers staying makes sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Schoenmakers is 23!! He ain't going nowhere! Lake wouldn't be slated to play more than 15 games and with the injury curse well and truly 'making a new home on our back' I wouldn't let him go anywhere.

I feel so sorry for Schoey. He seems like a player who thrives on the confidence that he belongs in the side and that he's not playing for his spot. Before he did his knee last year, he seemed to have settled and was picked every week. He was playing with a more defined confidence on attacking the ball in defense and was nailing target by foot. It took a while but we were seeing on field what I can only imagine the coaches see at training.

Since he came back from injury, he's found himself back at square one - trying to prove himself to a accomplished team that he likely doesn't feel part of yet. He may receive all the pep talks and positive encouragement in the world from teammates and coaching staff, but he would only be confident once he believes he belongs in the side. It'll take a while. I pray he gets a good run because, from an outsiders perspective, he seems like a genuinely great guy. The team seem to really relish any chance to celebrate with him and congratulate him.
The club, and he himself, would say that outside opinions don't matter at all, but there's no doubt the expectation of failure from fans and media seriously damages his ability to play naturally without fear of ******* up. I'm not saying the negative feelings surrounding him are unjust, he himself would know he often is a liability on field, but that extra weight of critical eyes on his every move surely would impede his ability to improve.

Imagine what he could become if he had any footy-smarts what-so-ever!?

Putting the ball on a team mates head from 60m away is a hell of a rare footy smart. We all know his deficiencies

I guess it comes down to pace. In his early years he was maligned because of the defensive contests he lost. Some of those werent on his own opponent and he was the only one who had got to that contest

Schoeys situation now is similar to Zac Dawsons when he was with us. Clarko was stubborn that he would develop Dawson to hold down a spot at the back but we failed. Ross Lyon gets him and takes him wherever he coaches to hold down that spot.

My question is does anyone here think that Dawson could hold down that key post in any non Ross Lyon coached team?

FWIW, Schoey should not be traded now. He should be groomed to take over from Lake in 2016.

It depends if Hawthorn actually see him as a backman now.

I would be training him as a forward this year...emphasis on speed and agility.

Spangher is the back up for both Lake and Frawley.

its only fitting that Shoey is back up for Gunston and Roughead whilst O'brien still develops his body.
The young man is also going to want to develop some urgency soon too, because after what I saw in the VFL Finals, Sicily is moving past him, even if he is a bit shorter.

Schoenmakers will be our CHB and Frawley our FB in the long term

100% agree. I think he is a better defender then forward. He will prove all the doubters wrong. Next year he likely spend a large chunk of the year in Box Hill, allowing him to work on his game with little pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting the ball on a team mates head from 60m away is a hell of a rare footy smart. We all know his deficiencies

I guess it comes down to pace. In his early years he was maligned because of the defensive contests he lost. Some of those werent on his own opponent and he was the only one who had got to that contest

Anyone in this thread who was witness to Schoenmakers' last 3 performances for the Box Hill Hawks could not possibly defend his retention on our list for another year!....The Dogs reserves forwards made him look second rate for God's sake!....It's one thing to defend your own players, which I understand & appreciate, yet another to blindly stick your head in the sand over obvious deficiencies, which have still not been ironed out some 79 games into a senior career!

We have been terribly patient with this lad, waiting for the penny to drop & seeing some improved performances, but clearly it just ain't going to happen. It's just either not in his make-up or the lad is just plain in over his head!....It's that simple!

Anyone in this thread who was witness to Schoenmakers' last 3 performances for the Box Hill Hawks could not possibly defend his retention on our list for another year!....The Dogs reserves forwards made him look second rate for God's sake!....It's one thing to defend your own players, which I understand & appreciate, yet another to blindly stick your head in the sand over obvious deficiencies, which have still not been ironed out some 79 games into a senior career!

We have been terribly patient with this lad, waiting for the penny to drop & seeing some improved performances, but clearly it just ain't going to happen. It's just either not in his make-up or the lad is just plain in over his head!....It's that simple!

Have to admit, those last few box hill games i thought vfl looked a step too high for him. Once he loses confidence he gets embarrassed very quickly.

What part of "we all know his deficiencies" didnt you read ? was just putting forward the opinion that he does have some skills, and accepting the clubs assessment that he will play another year at least. So maybe have a go at their (flag winning) assesments not mine

So he played three bad games at the end of a long year in which he was asked, once again, to plug a massive hole in our defence rather than work on developing his game on the back of a knee reconstruction and you say delist?

I'd trade him, get whatever we can for him

I could have sworn we had a Shoey thread somewhere else!?

To summarise the above (and the previous 50 Shoey threads) there seems to be two camps. One says he can't play and the other says he can't play but might be able to in the future if he improves a lot. There is evidence to support both camps.

In the meantime I hope Shoey is having a nice rest on some tropical island somewhere. Shoey threads should have a holiday as well in my humble opinion.

I could have sworn we had a Shoey thread somewhere else!?

To summarise the above (and the previous 50 Shoey threads) there seems to be two camps. One says he can't play and the other says he can't play but might be able to in the future if he improves a lot. There is evidence to support both camps.

In the meantime I hope Shoey is having a nice rest on some tropical island somewhere. Shoey threads should have a holiday as well in my humble opinion.
Even though I started this thread this is kind of funny.

What I like about Schoey is the attitude he's shown over the last week. "I want to prove I'm good enough to break into this team", rather than "I'll crack the sads and move somewhere else to get a game". With a big pre-season and renewed confidence in his knee and his own ability, he'll go a long way to silencing the doubters.

Absolutely. At least we know he is mentally very strong, which in professional sport is half the battle.

Absolutely. At least we know he is mentally very strong, which in professional sport is half the battle.

Maybe, but he doesn't exhibit such a trait on the field. I really think, more so than the knee, this is his biggest battle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back