Schoenmakers staying makes sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I think we need to change giving out premiership medals to everyone who played in the team that year, as they have obviously contributed towards the team getting to ultimate glory during the year, if not on the day.

Couldn't disagree more. I reckon Sewell would agree as well judging by what he's said about how much he felt apart of it this year.

Whilst Shoey might not be in the best 22 currently:

1. There is nothing to say he won't be in the future.
2. Clarko has proven that it takes a best 30 to win grand finals.
3. Schoey is in the best 30.
4. He can provide versatility.
5. Glad to have depth of his calibre on the list. (He played 15 games in 2014 - all in the bulk of the middle of the season).

Actually I think we need to change giving out premiership medals to everyone who played in the team that year, as they have obviously contributed towards the team getting to ultimate glory during the year, if not on the day.
Really?
So by your logic Matt Spangher should be a 4 time Premiership player!

Couldn't disagree more. I reckon Sewell would agree as well judging by what he's said about how much he felt apart of it this year.
Players who dont play on the day don't feel a part of it and they wouldn't want one. Why should Woodward who played 2 games and 1 as sub get a medal? Why should Wanganeen or Ross get one?

If that ever came into play then a player would've had to play at least 15 or so games to qualify.

I just reckon it should be for the 22. They're the blokes that went out there and got the job done on the biggest day of the year. They have that connection from then on. Players who miss out find it tough, giving them a medal for helping throughout the season won't really do much for them. They would've wanted to be a part of that one big day and part of that group who got it done.

Also people forget how much it burns players who just miss out and they come out absolutely firing the following year to be a part of it. It pushes and drives so many players which drives the side and enables them higher chances at more glory. It means so much to them if they finally land a spot. The story of Spangher this year was so great because he was an emergency a couple of times, if he was already a 3 time premiership player due to helping throughout the season, then it just wouldn't be the same.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on it all.

Players who dont play on the day don't feel a part of it and they wouldn't want one. Why should Woodward who played 2 games and 1 as sub get a medal? Why should Wanganeen or Ross get one?

If that ever came into play then a player would've had to play at least 15 or so games to qualify.

I just reckon it should be for the 22. They're the blokes that went out there and got the job done on the biggest day of the year. They have that connection from then on. Players who miss out find it tough, giving them a medal for helping throughout the season won't really do much for them. They would've wanted to be a part of that one big day and part of that group who got it done.

Also people forget how much it burns players who just miss out and they come out absolutely firing the following year to be a part of it. It pushes and drives so many players which drives the side and enables them higher chances at more glory. It means so much to them if they finally land a spot. The story of Spangher this year was so great because he was an emergency a couple of times, if he was already a 3 time premiership player due to helping throughout the season, then it just wouldn't be the same.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on it all.

How about players who play finals?

How about players who play finals?
I'm on the side of only the players that play on the day, if it was to be changed then finals players or players who have played over a certain amount of games could get one.

I still maintain though that it wouldn't mean anywhere near the same to them as the others who got it done on the actual big day.

I'm on the side of only the players that play on the day, if it was to be changed then finals players or players who have played over a certain amount of games could get one.

I still maintain though that it wouldn't mean anywhere near the same to them as the others who got it done on the actual big day.

Maybe there should be another medal - "Premiership squad member" - given to those players. Some small consolation for contributing.

Thats heading towards , not scoring in kids footy as we don't want any kids to be upset at losing.

kids have to learn to win & lose

if you aren't in the best 22 on the day then you shouldn't get a medal

harsh but fair

Maybe there should be another medal - "Premiership squad member" - given to those players. Some small consolation for contributing.

I'm all for this, except it would cost Hawthorn a squillion to give every Premiership squad member a medal!

We can afford it though.
Whereas, clubs like St Kilda and Bulldogs wouldn't be out of pocket ...

;)

I think everyone who played in the premiership year should get a medal.....I'll leave it up them to decide how much they value it.:rolleyes:
I'm guessing that over the years, being able to look at it on the mantle, it would feel pretty good.

It would only take a year or so before people wondered why it was ever any different, and I think it makes a brilliant reward to all those who have given everything - often from the age of 5 or 6 to chase the dream.
Fancy playing most of the year, being dropped for 'team balance' or not having a match up, and that being your only chance in a premiership year.

I don't think it devalues the concept even a bit to give every player who gets game time a medal.

I think everyone who played in the premiership year should get a medal.....I'll leave it up them to decide how much they value it.:rolleyes:
I'm guessing that over the years, being able to look at it on the mantle, it would feel pretty good.

It would only take a year or so before people wondered why it was ever any different, and I think it makes a brilliant reward to all those who have given everything - often from the age of 5 or 6 to chase the dream.
Fancy playing most of the year, being dropped for 'team balance' or not having a match up, and that being your only chance in a premiership year.

I don't think it devalues the concept even a bit to give every player who gets game time a medal.

I'm all for this, except it would cost Hawthorn a squillion to give every Premiership squad member a medal!

We can afford it though.
Whereas, clubs like St Kilda and Bulldogs wouldn't be out of pocket ...

;)

Because of the variation in how much you can contribute to the victory perhaps they should have gold silver and bronze catergories.

Gold premiership medal - Played in the game.
Silver premiership medal - Played in the finals.
Bronze premiership medal - Played during the season.

So for example you could say Brad Sewell has 2 gold and 1 silver premiership medals which clearly acknowledges the contribution he made to the team's success during that period.

Last edited:

Derrick Kickett says hi!
Also, Leon Davis is a Premiership player because he played in the drawn GF of 2010, but not the winning one the following week!
That is a joke!

It's a nice thing to think about and a way to try and make everyone happy. However I just can't see how players who didn't play on the day and a part of that memory will feel like they are a premiership player.

I know for a fact if I wasn't picked in my premiership I played in that we won, that I wouldn't want some other medal. I wouldn't feel the same and would rather bust my gut the next year to give myself every opportunity to be a part of that great day if the team saluted again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we know, Shoe was on the verge of being traded at the end of the year. But he prayed to the almighty Spangh, who ironically was the one who displaced him from the team. The Spangh heard his prayer and offered him another chance at redemption. The very fact that Spangh was able to do this proves once and for all that Shoe has a sole.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read

Derrick Kickett says hi!
Also, Leon Davis is a Premiership player because he played in the drawn GF of 2010, but not the winning one the following week!
That is a joke!

Joke to you, reward for efforts during the premiership year as I would see it.
In the NBA everyone in the organization that wins a title receives a championship ring, with slight variations to the players example.
It comes from the belief it took everyone contributing to achieve that success.
That's how I see it, but if you believe it just took the 22 on grandfinal day to walk up and play well on the day.....

Whilst Shoey might not be in the best 22 currently:

1. There is nothing to say he won't be in the future.
2. Clarko has proven that it takes a best 30 to win grand finals.
3. Schoey is in the best 30.
4. He can provide versatility.
5. Glad to have depth of his calibre on the list. (He played 15 games in 2014 - all in the bulk of the middle of the season).

May as well give the medals to the supporters as well, and players parents and family...and various pets.......maybe include those with a sort of current receipt for a hawks mug.......,,

I think I need to start a new thread on the merits of awarding premiership medals to players who have contributed during the year or only give to the players on the day.

I can see for and against on both sides.

Do players who have played one game deserve a medal? Maybe and leaning towards probably not. However a valid argument can be made for that no matter how small the contribution on a game day that a contribution was made and thus contributing to the overall success of the team.

Some players do quite clearly deserve a premiership medal for their contributions and to think that if Whitecross never gets one cause he did 2 knees in finals giving all for his club would be a massive injustice. I think some form of recognition is warranted.

The same can be said for Shoey. It has been well recognised that the injuries suffered to key players during last year kept them fresh for the final series and having good players to step into the breach to allow the best 22 to play on grand final day in a premium state. Schoey was able to fill in for Lake and Gibson injuries and obviously do a pretty good job. His obvious contribution should be rewarded as he was able to provide games during the year allowing the best 22 players to stay fresh so we could win the grand final. I am struggling to see why that contribution shouldn't be recognised; if it wasn't there I would say there would be a very good chance the 22 players who won the grand final medal wouldn't have them, if it wasn't for guys like this. Ceglar is another that definitely fits into this category.

Someone mentioned about Spangher being a 4 time premiership player. Why not? Because it takes away from his fairy-tale last year. Not really a great argument in my book. Spangher made contributions to the overall success of a few grand final teams. Why shouldn't that be recognised?

And Driftyhunter, yes very well thought out argument. :rolleyes:

It takes a full list of players, 30 - 36 players probably to get to a grand final. Why should only the 22 on the day be recognised? If it wasn't for the other guys they wouldn't be there to have the chance to win the medal.

It's a nice thing to think about and a way to try and make everyone happy. However I just can't see how players who didn't play on the day and a part of that memory will feel like they are a premiership player.

I know for a fact if I wasn't picked in my premiership I played in that we won, that I wouldn't want some other medal. I wouldn't feel the same and would rather bust my gut the next year to give myself every opportunity to be a part of that great day if the team saluted again.

I think something on the club guernsey the following season like the cups we have in our avatar that denote this is the premier team. Would work.

Personally I don't see an issue with medallions going to play that didn't play on the day in one sense. In the olympics every relay member gets a gold medal whether they swam the final or not.

Rioli gets a premiership medallion (which he deserves) but he wouldn't have been there if the club didn't make the gf in the first place.

(But I also see the other side. So I don't have a problem either way.)

*these last few sentences are not meant to detract fromt the above awesome idea of the guernseys.

I like that idea.
I think something on the club guernsey the following season like the cups we have in our avatar that denote this is the premier team. Would work.

Personally I don't see an issue with medallions going to play that didn't play on the day in one sense. In the olympics every relay member gets a gold medal whether they swam the final or not.

Rioli gets a premiership medallion (which he deserves) but he wouldn't have been there if the club didn't make the gf in the first place.

(But I also see the other side. So I don't have a problem either way.)

*these last few sentences are not meant to detract fromt the above awesome idea of the guernseys.
minor premiership medals are fair enough (but we didn't get that). Otherwise the whole thing seems too blurry for me

I think I need to start a new thread on the merits of awarding premiership medals to players who have contributed during the year or only give to the players on the day.

I can see for and against on both sides.

Do players who have played one game deserve a medal? Maybe and leaning towards probably not. However a valid argument can be made for that no matter how small the contribution on a game day that a contribution was made and thus contributing to the overall success of the team.

Some players do quite clearly deserve a premiership medal for their contributions and to think that if Whitecross never gets one cause he did 2 knees in finals giving all for his club would be a massive injustice. I think some form of recognition is warranted.

The same can be said for Shoey. It has been well recognised that the injuries suffered to key players during last year kept them fresh for the final series and having good players to step into the breach to allow the best 22 to play on grand final day in a premium state. Schoey was able to fill in for Lake and Gibson injuries and obviously do a pretty good job. His obvious contribution should be rewarded as he was able to provide games during the year allowing the best 22 players to stay fresh so we could win the grand final. I am struggling to see why that contribution shouldn't be recognised; if it wasn't there I would say there would be a very good chance the 22 players who won the grand final medal wouldn't have them, if it wasn't for guys like this. Ceglar is another that definitely fits into this category.

Someone mentioned about Spangher being a 4 time premiership player. Why not? Because it takes away from his fairy-tale last year. Not really a great argument in my book. Spangher made contributions to the overall success of a few grand final teams. Why shouldn't that be recognised?

And Driftyhunter, yes very well thought out argument. :rolleyes:

It takes a full list of players, 30 - 36 players probably to get to a grand final. Why should only the 22 on the day be recognised? If it wasn't for the other guys they wouldn't be there to have the chance to win the medal.

This topic always brings me memories of the 1971 Grand Final, the first premiership I saw live.

Peter Knights became a star in 1971, a 19 year-old phenomenon who made the CHB position his own. He starred all year, and was playing brilliantly in the Second Semi when he badly injured his knee.
The Hawks went directly to the Grand Final, and Knights missed out; he had to wait until 1976 to win a premiership.

I don't know if Knightsy ever got a medal for 1971, but he damn deserved it!

Joke to you, reward for efforts during the premiership year as I would see it.
In the NBA everyone in the organization that wins a title receives a championship ring, with slight variations to the players example.
It comes from the belief it took everyone contributing to achieve that success.
That's how I see it, but if you believe it just took the 22 on grandfinal day to walk up and play well on the day.....
I never said I believe it just took the 22 on GF day to walk up and play well

A Premiership medallion is the ULTIMATE success for any footballer, and while some are incredibly unlucky to miss out on selection for a GF, that's the reason it is the measure of ULTIMATE success, to be part of the selected 22 that run out and deliver on the biggest stage

You can't have ULTIMATE success while sitting in the grandstand injured, suspended or dropped for poor form

A squad get you to the big dance, and being part of the final 22 who get the job done is the ULTIMATE success as I would see it!

I would really like Shoe to step up this year as a forward and give us some depth for KPF stocks, my biggest concern is if Rough goes down.
Now I don't think Shoe playing some games forward and doing well would make me comfortable with Rough missing some games but it would certainly help keep team balance if he did. To have another big mobile forward available to us this year would be great, TOB isn't their yet for size and Spang is much better back than forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back