School Football Scholarships

Remove this Banner Ad

Most schools in the APS give them. However it runs in ebs and flows. Not every school gives them every year- xavier would be a good example of this. Some schools such as caulfield, wesley, carey and haileybury splurge every few years with a big hit of players but tend to lay low for the subsequent few seasons. scotch open the cheque book every now and then. MGS and st kevin's tend to get 2-3 boys in every two years for year ten. the only schools i don't know about regarding scholarships are geelong college and brighton.

whether it is right or wrong is hard to determine. some schools certainly do it better than others. SKC and MGS set pretty good examples regarding scholarships. the students they have gotten in over the years have tended to fit very well into school life at these places, and academically have performed well. haileybury is at the opposite end of the scale where scholarships at their school upset a lot of things internally and has perhaps impacted on academic performances. though to haileybury's credit, their current headmaster has adopted a far more moderate stance on their scholarship programme.

i personally do not have a problem with scholarships when given out in moderation. i think it enhances the standard of APS sport and gives students, perhaps previously totally sportingly focused, the opportunity to broaden their perspectives and perform well academically.

Carey have given scholarships to 3 star year 10's.
(hint: from the yjfl)
having playing against them, only one of them might make it to afl level

Melbourne grammer have also given a year 10 yjfl player a scholarship. He is very good.

Xavier College does NOT award sporting scholarships.

Melbourne grammer have also given a year 10 yjfl player a scholarship. He is very good.

wake up and smell the coffee mate.

mate, man up and name names. Everybody knows the inclusions, it's not some deep dark secret. Mottram Hrovat and Bolger are all quality players and deserved their scholarships.

And as regards to xavier, get your head out of the sand.

mate, man up and name names. Everybody knows the inclusions, it's not some deep dark secret. Mottram Hrovat and Bolger are all quality players and deserved their scholarships.

And as regards to xavier, get your head out of the sand.

i wouldnt say mottram is as deserving as some others ive played against, such as konrad brunh(st mary's) or daniel dober(st mary's)

btw name which xavier college players are on scholarships?
-the only exception, maybe casey sibosado a few years back.

i wouldnt say mottram is as deserving as some others ive played against, such as konrad brunh(st mary's) or daniel dober(st mary's)

Some swimmers a few years back such as Matt Kermeen

konrad brunh is nothing compared to mottram..

GC doesn't give out sporting scholarships.
FACT: Every aps school has given out football scolarships, if they didnt they would not be able to be competitive.
I belive it is a great thing, to reward guys for their hard work and commitment, some of the blokes come from bottom rate highschools and will most likely drop out or not pass vce, APS schools allow them to make something of their future and have something else besides footy, because as alot of people know it only takes one injury to ruin everything. Having a good education allows them to have something else in life. All you guys that say schools just do it to win premierships dont realise what these scolarships do for the kids, they arnt for the schools, they help these kids lifes, for some it completely changes there life, i thank the schools for giving the kids theses opportunities.

This is the correct way in which scholarships must be given, not the haileybury brand style, which some other schools are taking on board.
Schools such as Scotch and St. Kevins follow the correct protocol, IMO.

Name the scholarships that Xavier have given out thanks.

Go on, you blokes can talk the talk, man up and name some names.

FACT: Every aps school has given out football scolarships, if they didnt they would not be able to be competitive.
I belive it is a great thing, to reward guys for their hard work and commitment, some of the blokes come from bottom rate highschools and will most likely drop out or not pass vce, APS schools allow them to make something of their future and have something else besides footy, because as alot of people know it only takes one injury to ruin everything. Having a good education allows them to have something else in life. All you guys that say schools just do it to win premierships dont realise what these scolarships do for the kids, they arnt for the schools, they help these kids lifes, for some it completely changes there life, i thank the schools for giving the kids theses opportunities.

As much as it pains me to say it.. GC actually have never given a footy scholarship

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name the scholarships that Xavier have given out thanks.

Go on, you blokes can talk the talk, man up and name some names.

exactly. name the cricketers and footballers that were given scholarships?

carey gave out a raft of scholarships last year- all under 15 footballers.

hrovat, celebicianin, haynes and motram. haynes is also an exceptional athlete holding the national title for long and triple jump.

all these boys are from the northern suburbs and all play for the northern knights.

carey already had a some very good footballers in yr 10. adiranakis. jaksch and ashby.

A few years ago as many would remember Haileybury gave a huge number of scholarships. A lot of these were to boys from Catholic Schools (mainly St Bedes, who incidently went back and played for St Bedes in ammos), a huge fuss was kicked up by St Bedes and competing APS schools and an agreement was apparently reached that boys would not be poached.

In the last two years however it would seem this agreement has been thrown out the window with several schools grabbing players in their final years of schooling.
i.e
CGS:
Shiel (St Bedes), Kelly (St Bedes), Gotch (De La) , Maley (St Bedes) + there usual country kids - Bugg (Gippsland) Thorsen, several cricketers Wyatt, Lanigan and Paynter.

Others such as Roberts (MGS, was De La) and Boyd (BGS, St Bedes) have also been added.

Are they poaching these kids or are the kids approaching the schools?
Also are the catholic schools, going to let this happen or complain as they have in the past?

I have no affiliation to the Catholic schools however kids changing school at this later date does make a mockery of the comp.

The other major source of scholarships is the VIC Metro and VIC Country u15 schoolboys teams, which are often coached by APS associated people.

From last years teams alone the following have arrived (to my knowledge):

Thorsen (CGS), Hrovat (Carey), Bolger (MGS), Mottram (Car).

No doubt there are others I have missed and many also arrive in years 7,8 and 9.

A few years ago as many would remember Haileybury gave a huge number of scholarships. A lot of these were to boys from Catholic Schools (mainly St Bedes, who incidently went back and played for St Bedes in ammos), a huge fuss was kicked up by St Bedes and competing APS schools and an agreement was apparently reached that boys would not be poached.

In the last two years however it would seem this agreement has been thrown out the window with several schools grabbing players in their final years of schooling.
i.e
CGS:
Shiel (St Bedes), Kelly (St Bedes), Gotch (De La) , Maley (St Bedes) + there usual country kids - Bugg (Gippsland) Thorsen, several cricketers Wyatt, Lanigan and Paynter.

Others such as Roberts (MGS, was De La) and Boyd (BGS, St Bedes) have also been added.

Also are the catholic schools, going to let this happen or complain as they have in the past?

I have no affiliation to the Catholic schools however kids changing school at this later date does make a mockery of the comp.

The other major source of scholarships is the VIC Metro and VIC Country u15 schoolboys teams, which are often coached by APS associated people.

No doubt there are others I have missed and many also arrive in years 7,8 and 9.

thats fine.
yeah, ive heard the same as well.
the word going round is that they are loving them down there this year.

i.e
CGS:

Kelly and Maley didn't recieve scholarships to go to CGS

Some swimmers a few years back such as Matt Kermeen

WHat him and his 3 brothers?? Gee he must have been good. Check your fact before naming individuals. He was at the school already not bought in on a scholarship. There is a big difference between rewarding those in your school already and bringing in a kid from Tassie or whatever.

WHat him and his 3 brothers?? Gee he must have been good. Check your fact before naming individuals. He was at the school already not bought in on a scholarship. There is a big difference between rewarding those in your school already and bringing in a kid from Tassie or whatever.

nah just matt i used to swim with him mate, he was on a swimming scholarship at xavier not that ive got a problem with schools giving out sport scholarships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back