Score Graphics

Remove this Banner Ad

So we finally get to see Fox Sports' graphics re-branding applied to their soccer telecast. They've kept them under wraps during the FFA Cup and early rounds of the EPL, and unleashed them for the A-League, in a similar move to what Ch7 used to do in the 90s.

Nothing really surprising about them. The most interesting thing for me is that although they have the coloured hexagons in the same veign as the flags (triangles) for AFL and chevrons for NRL, they also "morph" into the actual club logos. Its something I'd like to see rolled put for AFL too.

Scorebug is quite small and unobtrusive in the top corner too.

View attachment 181896
View attachment 181898

While I'm at it, this is their Basketball graphcs, again along the same lines. Bit too long for me. The gap between team name and score could be reduced.

View attachment 181901

View attachment 181902
Wow: that first soccer one is delicious. Would love to see that for footy

Why is it that channel 7 only started with the scorebug in 1997? Plenty of other sporting telecasts had scorebugs years before that around the globe.

score bugs started showing up from about 1994 or so, but it really didn't catch on until a few years later when every sports telecast around the world was doing it, so Ch 7/AFL were on par with the trend at the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Ch 7 continue on with these great graphics....

GEELONG CATS.....why add the Cats?
ST KILDA
NORTH MELBOURNE......why use the long name?

I mean I don't really care but just amusing that it's so ridiculous and no one has made a simple change.

Hopefully Ch 7 continue on with these great graphics....

GEELONG CATS.....why add the Cats?
ST KILDA
NORTH MELBOURNE......why use the long name?

I mean I don't really care but just amusing that it's so ridiculous and no one has made a simple change.

They just use what the league designates them as.

Hence WEST COAST EAGLES; GOLD COAST SUNS etc.

Geelong 'rebranded' as Geelong Cats back in 2008 after their premiership the previous year because they didn't want to be known as the GFC, which at the time had negative connotations towards the global financial crisis

the last few years, I've found watching the Australian Open tennis is a good indication of if channel 7 will use new graphics in their football coverage - that's usually their first flagship event of the year, and an opportunity to reveal any new visual packages

When did Channel 7 start showing the countdown clock permanently during their broadcast?

I noticed in 1999 it was shown on an ad-hoc basis. Generally it was shown towards the end of the quarter rather than the start. Ie it remained on screen for the last few mins of the 99 prelim between Carlton and Essendon.

Could anyone confirm if the countdown clock remained on screen for extended periods of time prior to 99?

When did Channel 7 start showing the countdown clock permanently during their broadcast?

I noticed in 1999 it was shown on an ad-hoc basis. Generally it was shown towards the end of the quarter rather than the start. Ie it remained on screen for the last few mins of the 99 prelim between Carlton and Essendon.

Could anyone confirm if the countdown clock remained on screen for extended periods of time prior to 99?

They didn't have a full time clock until 2007.

Fox Footy Mk I started the permanent countdown clock in 2002, while 10 and 9 gradually phased it in in 2003 (well technically 10 never had a full time countdown clock as they had that unprofessional 5 minute warning).

They didn't have a full time clock until 2007.

Fox Footy Mk I started the permanent countdown clock in 2002, while 10 and 9 gradually phased it in in 2003 (well technically 10 never had a full time countdown clock as they had that unprofessional 5 minute warning).
Unprofessional? How dare you.
The 5 minute warning increases the tension and excitement for the end of a game on your couch.
Give me the 5 minute warning over the countdown clock any day of the week. So much better.

Unprofessional? How dare you.
The 5 minute warning increases the tension and excitement for the end of a game on your couch.
Give me the 5 minute warning over the countdown clock any day of the week. So much better.
I had such a love hate relationship with that

the last few years, I've found watching the Australian Open tennis is a good indication of if channel 7 will use new graphics in their football coverage - that's usually their first flagship event of the year, and an opportunity to reveal any new visual packages
Not much of a tennis watcher, however is the current series (Hopman Cup?) produced by Seven? The scoreboard in the bottom left is different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back