Scoring goals 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy is a quality player and the reason he doesn't do well against better sides is that our mids don't supply sufficient quality ball.
This. Just because Kennedy dominates against the weaker sides doesn't mean he's not a top shelf forward.

Both theory's are correct. The delivery to Kennedy by some of our midfield is often poor. But at the same time there is no denying that he's one of the biggest flat trackers on our list. Bullying the crap teams is his jam.
His tackling pressure is always immense regardless of whether he's kicking goals or how crap the quality of ball delivery is, which is far more than you can say about the vast majority of key forwards over the years.

kennedy definitely isn't the problem.sure he has to even out his best and worst but that goes for the whole team other than maybe priddis and McKenzie.we need more speed,creativity and flair in the forward line.a genuine crumber(I don't give a rats about midfield capabilities)And in the next draft we should definitely target a quality KPF to take over from kennedy eventually.ah chee sounds like he would suit us and if we can somehow secure another first rounder(some ppl have suggested scooter might go) I would pick up a KPF.

To simplify things;
1. We have big guys who on the whole are generally weak at contested marking bar McGovern.
2. We have little guys who on the whole can't crumb the ball.
3. We have midfielders who on the whole don't kick a lot of goals.

FWIW - I think Gaff will join Shuey and kick more goals in 2015.

+1 and you can add half forward flankers that don't hit the scoreboard often enough too.
eg.
Masten 2012 = 20 goals
Masten 2014 = 5 goals

Funny to think nico was our last half decent crumber. Hell,the Q-stick crumbed better than most of the current forwards!

Kennedy had a crap year last year where he only capitalised against the poorer teams. Most players on our list did this. Look at Darling's goals against poor sides as well. Look at Priddis games against the poor sides in floggings, all of a sudden he can hit the side of a barn. Masten gets space against poor teams etc. Everything just clicks the moment pressure is off.

IMO it all comes down to our inside 50's. Too many average to poor kicks doing the bulk of the work. Masten is the only one who enters 50 with well weighted kicks into space for forwards to lead onto. Gaff too cute, Priddis too ugly with passing under pressure the rest mostly nothing comes of them. Shuey is well rounded in his game and is not bad at I50's.

Agree on above as well that a crumber would help. It would go along way to at least taking advantage of half opportunities through s**t delivery in there in the first place.

Our most likely set-up (with Gov in defence) is exactly how the premiers set up on GF day.

Darling = Gunston
Kennedy = Roughead
Hale = Lycett
McEvoy = Naitanui

I'm not saying they are exactly the same types of players, but they are similar enough.

Just showing that a forwardline that we would consider small, is considered pretty standard by most other clubs.

Port will have two rucks, Shulz and Westhoff.

North had one ruck, Petrie, Brown and Black in the prelim.

Can't think of others off the top of my head.

We also have Lecras who plays a very similar role to Bruest.

Who will be our rioli?

Due to the fact we don't have a genuine crumbing small forward. How about using quick agile crumbing options Newman and Karpany? From all reports Newman is impressing at training and can also play midfield but Karpany may still be a bit off AFL level.

Unfortunately it's Cripps for now.

Newman is more of a mid than Cyril, but hopefully he can spend time forward.

I may be one of the few but i've always rated cripps. If he can find more consistancy then he will be an asset. I think his biggest issue is his fitness over a game, however this may be related to his diabetes.

kennedy definitely isn't the problem.sure he has to even out his best and worst but that goes for the whole team other than maybe priddis and McKenzie.we need more speed,creativity and flair in the forward line.a genuine crumber(I don't give a rats about midfield capabilities)And in the next draft we should definitely target a quality KPF to take over from kennedy eventually.ah chee sounds like he would suit us and if we can somehow secure another first rounder(some ppl have suggested scooter might go) I would pick up a KPF.

A kid in the draft wont help scoring goals in 2015, probably not until 2020 - looking so far ahead its blind optimism.

A kid in the draft wont help scoring goals in 2015, probably not until 2020 - looking so far ahead its blind optimism.
yep and that's about the time our newest batch of mids will be firing unfortunately kennedy will be a bit long in the tooth by then.We have enough scoring power for 2015 especially if yeo,newman,wellingham are adding more fire power to our midfield.we don't have too many older mids other than priddis ,but we need to start p[lanning for the eventual retirement of lecras ,kennedy and hill.

yep and that's about the time our newest batch of mids will be firing unfortunately kennedy will be a bit long in the tooth by then.We have enough scoring power for 2015 especially if yeo,newman,wellingham are adding more fire power to our midfield.we don't have too many older mids other than priddis ,but we need to start p[lanning for the eventual retirement of lecras ,kennedy and hill.

I've got a feeling Hill will be delisted long before he retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just irrelevant in terms of 2015, the bleedin' obvious !!

Interesting offering in The West & he's aware of his 2014 contribution:

He booted a career-high 61 majors in 2014, but 26 of those came in three matches against Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney.

The spearhead's best haul against a side that featured in finals was three - in the round-21 loss to Essendon.

"It'd be good to spread it out throughout the year rather than just having one or two games where you're doing OK," Kennedy said.
"That's one thing that I'll just keep working on and hopefully get better at."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/25795136/bulk-hasnt-slowed-west-coast/

Both theory's are correct. The delivery to Kennedy by some of our midfield is often poor. But at the same time there is no denying that he's one of the biggest flat trackers on our list. Bullying the crap teams is his jam.

He also has the capacity to kick extremely accurately. Perhaps in lower pressure games but it's an ability not all talk players have.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

70 Kennedy, 50 Lecras, 50 Darling, 40 between Lycett/NicNat, 30 Cripps and hopefully a massive lift from our mid fielders and flankers.*

*Not sure what my expectations are for the Gov given that he could spend the year in defence.

I think Cripps is in for standout year if he plays the majority of the season, Hill shouldn't even be in calculations.

Statistically 2014 was his best season, career high goals, marks and disposals and he's still only 22.

My opinion about him changed completely after watching his manic tackling pressure when he doesn't have the ball, i'm a big fan now.

I think Cripps is in for standout year if he plays the majority of the season, Hill shouldn't even be in calculations.

Statistically 2014 was his best season, career high goals, marks and disposals and he's still only 22.

My opinion about him changed completely after watching his manic tackling pressure when he doesn't have the ball, i'm a big fan now.
I actually agree with you.
... A positive comment. :eek:
booker t shocked gif.gif

Fortunately it's Cripps for now.

Newman is more of a mid than Cyril, but hopefully he can spend time forward.

FTFY :D

I may be one of the few but i've always rated cripps. If he can find more consistancy then he will be an asset. I think his biggest issue is his fitness over a game, however this may be related to his diabetes.

Likewise, if he can have the same impact in the second half of games as he typically does in the first half he'll go a long way. Even without that I'd back him in to be a fixture in the 22 this year.

Yes, not the largest player but puts a ton of effort into his defensive work - probably one of the top players in our team for tackles last year. Plenty of scope for improvement and at times his goal sense rivals LeCras & (2011) Nicoski's for mine.

EDIT: Ranked #7 in total tackles and #9 on average in 2014. Also ranked #4 for average & total goals kicked for us in 2014 (and only just behind LeCras in accuracy at 2:1).

Last edited:
Yes, not the largest player but puts a ton of effort into his defensive work - probably one of the top players in our team for tackles last year. Plenty of scope for improvement and at times his goal sense rivals LeCras & (2012) Nicoski's for mine.

You mean 2011. Unless you want Cripps to snap his hammy in the pre-season and never play footy again.

You mean 2011. Unless you want Cripps to snap his hammy in the pre-season and never play footy again.

Argh! It's 3:30am here so I'm gonna stick with that as an excuse for my oversight. Thanks for the correction!

Now it's off to bed for me, had to stay up to defend my sponsoree though as ZergMinion raised the sponsorship bar significantly last year.

Argh! It's 3:30am here so I'm gonna stick with that as an excuse for my oversight. Thanks for the correction!

Now it's off to bed for me, had to stay up to defend my sponsoree though as ZergMinion raised the sponsorship bar significantly last year.

That's because ZergMinion sat in Matt's thread all year wailing for everyone to leave him alone and think of the children

Remove this Banner Ad

Back