Opinion Scott 'Biceps' Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, of course. It's not as though Goody could have been a classy ruckman if we'd decided to make that his role either. What's your point? You play your players in their best position unless you have a damn good reason not to.

As an accumulator I would argue he's better than any player in our history. Does that make him one of our elite players? I'd say no - but he is one hell of a ball magnet.
I'm saying accumulator is not a choice

No one chooses to be a player who gets lots of it but doesn't use it that well

I'm saying accumulator is not a choice

No one chooses to be a player who gets lots of it but doesn't use it that well
If thommo's disposal was the same level as roo or goody, he would be considered up there as our best.

All 3 accumulated plenty of the ball in their prime - 2 were more influential.

Nobody chooses to be someone who uses the ball well but can't win it either. However, accumulating the pill is a skill and being able to do it well enough earns you a spot in the midfield, just as using it well does.

If you have both you're a gun. If you're only really good at winning it you're generally referred to as an accumulator.

Sure, they won't pick a designated "accumulator" in the All Australian team but that doesn't mean it's not a common role in the AFL.

Nobody chooses to be someone who uses the ball well but can't win it either. However, accumulating the pill is a skill and being able to do it well enough earns you a spot in the midfield, just as using it well does.

If you have both you're a gun. If you're only really good at winning it you're generally referred to as an accumulator.

Sure, they won't pick a designated "accumulator" in the All Australian team but that doesn't mean it's not a common role in the AFL.
Exhibit a - Priddas.

Wins the brownlow but doesn't make the aa team.

Have you had too many Boxing Day beers or something? I'm not talking about a "role" like something you'd find on a team sheet. I'm talking about what they bring to the position. Thompson's main asset is being able to win a bucketload of the ball. Players like that are generally described as playing the role of an accumulator.

I have no argument that Roo and Goody were considerably better midfielders than Thompson has been. However, in terms of pure ball-winning ability, I think Thompson eclipses them. This alone is not nearly enough to make up for the class differential and hence I don't see in him in the elite echelon.

Exhibit a - Priddas.

Wins the brownlow but doesn't make the aa team.

Scott West is one of my favourites from a generation back. Used to win an absolute tonne of the ball and even though he didn't generally burn it, he didn't do much with it either. Used to love watching him though.

Scott West is one of my favourites from a generation back. Used to win an absolute tonne of the ball and even though he didn't generally burn it, he didn't do much with it either. Used to love watching him though.
Agree - there is always a place for these guys in the team.

Yup
Brett Ratten, Anthony Stevens Come to mind as well.

Agree - there is always a place for these guys in the team.

You need those guys who can find it to feed it to those with elite disposal. Its a key aspect. No point having 12 mids in your team who can't get more than 20 possies a game. You need those who can get it 35 times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno bout that. The Jarman trade won us at least 1 flag, and maybe 2...... do we win without his class?
No we don't.

I mentioned the jarman deal was more critical but having given up wellman, the thommo deal was better value.

Even though they're all midfielders, Thompson has played a different role than the likes of Goodwin and Ricciuto. He's been an accumulator and I would argue our best ever.

It's just that accumulators are never really viewed as important as midfielders with absolute, genuine class like Goodwin and Ricciuto.

There's more to footy than getting your hands on the ball. No doubt Thommo has been great at getting it, however he loses points against the first tier based on how damaging he is with ball in hand. The wasteful free kicks don't help either.

Even though they're all midfielders, Thompson has played a different role than the likes of Goodwin and Ricciuto. He's been an accumulator and I would argue our best ever.

It's just that accumulators are never really viewed as important as midfielders with absolute, genuine class like Goodwin and Ricciuto.

Would've been an all time star at accumulatorball

Aside from the McLeod heist, its probably the best trade the club has done.
You should always be willing to trade your 1st round draft pick if young, proven, talent is available, especially if the pick is between 11-18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back