Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting...part of coaches' dilemma I suppose...who do you pick as sub?.. a match winner, (would think they'd be in the starting side), or somebody that can play where you might need cover if somebody got injured... think a utility is the best sub personally so shuffling the team is easier. To be honest though, I don't have a great knowledge of other teams' subs, so am interested to know where we are lacking.
Burst players who might not be able to sustain intensity over a full game but who can significantly impact the contest in a short period of time.
Can't be too soft though - has to be someone who can win their own ball if they can sniff a goal.

So basically Kane Lucas

Burst players who might not be able to sustain intensity over a full game but who can significantly impact the contest in a short period of time.
Can't be too soft though - has to be someone who can win their own ball if they can sniff a goal.

So basically Kane Lucas

I've been saying "Lucas to sub" since pre season.

So basically Kane Lucas

If people have a problem with Scooter's disposal, then they will be horrified if Lucas takes his place.

So basically Kane Lucas
yep, gotcha,..only downside is if the sub is needed in 1st qtr due to circumstances...

This is exactly what the problem is. Its not reasonable to suggest Duggan would be healthy had he played senior footy on the weekend. These are unfortunate circumstances and freak accidents which would be just as likely playing anywhere. Duggan gets injured playing footy and your logical conclusion is that he could have avoided injury playing footy elsewhere?

Wow. To clarify I believe Selwood sent brain beams across the country and made Duggans PCL seperate. That or I was simply pointing out how his return has coincided with Sheed and Duggan getting less game time. To say I'm pissed that Duggan got dropped is the understatement of the year, and yes I do believe Selwoods mere presence on the park contributes to others not being there. And if that batshit crazy decision to drop Duggan to the WAFL (while Selwood stunk up the MCG) isn't bad enough Duggan no longer has a PCL. Wins alround.

Last edited:
Our sub options are some of the worst in the league in terms of someone coming in with the potential to win us a game off their own boot.
And Yet ---
But one area they can lay claim to being number one is in last quarters.

"They have a scoring differential of +254 in final terms so far this season ahead of the Hawks who sit at +177.

“Their performances in last quarters have been outstanding,” Scott Watters said on Footy WA.

“They kick 30.4 points for in every last quarter and their defence is outstanding, it’s the best in the competition in last quarters. "

And Yet ---

"They have a scoring differential of +254 in final terms so far this season ahead of the Hawks who sit at +177.

“Their performances in last quarters have been outstanding,” Scott Watters said on Footy WA.

“They kick 30.4 points for in every last quarter and their defence is outstanding, it’s the best in the competition in last quarters. "
My guess is that has very little to do with the sub and more to do with superior fitness. It's not like our subs are coming on and dominating the games.

Selwood being very harshly judged on here with some even comparing him to Mcginnity. I
Rewatched the Collingwood game last night and thought Selwood was playing well up until his knock. We've seen that even a great player like Fyfe can be greatly impacted by a severe cork. With Duggan now out for the season i feel that none of the possible replacements for Selwood offer as much as him as they are either more limited or not ready.

And Yet ---

Read that article and shows how stats can be misleading. We are still a great last quarter team but Hawks of won 12 to our 9. Just that when we've won them we've blown other teams outta of the park.

We are a great last quarter team but Hawks are better. Not exactly making a big call but should be noted.

we obviously blow out the park better then
True but maybe Hawthorn as a team that's, been there done that, take their foot of the peddle, plus they've played the swans twice and freo, teams traditionally very hard to score against. Pretty amazing what they've done to date.

AFL 360 last night - the question of Geelong's older brigade came up and there was a consistent view on the panel (Wheatley, Robbo, King and McClure) that Scooter was likely to join his brother at the Cattery. Comments were around the fact that the next group of players at Geelong are not standing up as well as was expected. I think I heard it clearly - let's see what Scooter can do for the rest of the year. I suspect he will not be playing much at EP. Pity as current form says he should.

AFL 360 last night - the question of Geelong's older brigade came up and there was a consistent view on the panel (Wheatley, Robbo, King and McClure) that Scooter was likely to join his brother at the Cattery. Comments were around the fact that the next group of players at Geelong are not standing up as well as was expected. I think I heard it clearly - let's see what Scooter can do for the rest of the year. I suspect he will not be playing much at EP. Pity as current form says he should.

Hoping Selwood leaves, really really hoping. Would make us a better team.

Hoping he gets dropped soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope that the rumours are true now. I'll be distraught if we do something stupid and try to match Geelongs offer.

FWIW, I would like Jetta on our team despite the events of the weekend. But if Jetta decides he doesn't want anything to do with West Coast then I'm sure Simmo will get the best available player possible.

In Simmo we trust

Lets all post gifs of selwood stuffing up the ball for the celebration. OP what are you on about. We already have a replacement his name is sheed! Or to satisfy your needs for a replacement for mcginnity and selwood we have hutchins.

There will be some severely crushed supporters if he re-signs next week.
It's pretty likely he'll stay IMO. The melt will be delicious, even though I also really want him to go.

I reckon him re-signing will be better than us matching Geelong's free agency offer, as the latter will probably be more expensive than the former

I'm gonna go against the sentiment here and hope that he signs up for another couple of years. Given an injury free pre season, I reckon he'll provide vital midfield depth next year for when we are possibly challenging for the flag...

$500,000 on midfield depth though?

That's what the likes of Hutchings is for.

We could add another dimension to the side with that money.
My thoughts exactly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back