Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think its time to start campainging for selwood. We need to only talk posititives to make sure the world knows we think he is required cant afford to lose him and drive his price up.

Yeah that used to work ....doesn't anymore ....we pretty much know what you're getting these days

Feb 1, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Obviously nowhere near fit and the ankle problem is really affecting him. If he was fully fit he'd be best 22 but I agree his foot skills aren't great. Sounds like he's gone for sure so here's hoping for a decent pick out of it.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
If we somehow end up playing a GF with Selwood in our team you just know he's going to end up with a set shot 20m out late in the last quarter and it will cost us the game.

Scott can play when fit. Simpson has a game plan the requires good foot skills and fast ball movement.

While Scott can run all day and is tough and previously a very good defensive player he lacks the traits required to fit in the team now.

He is a casualty of the game plan but will be a good player at the cats

That my friend, is an oxymoron.

Sadly Scott Selwood goes into the same category as other failed top picks, you can't turn s**t into chocolate and no amount of sugar is going to make that turd taste sweet.

* me you post some stupid s**t at times

He's been poor the last two years no doubt but his ankle injury has contributed to that. Prior to that he played some really good football for us and won a B&F for us in 2012.

To add to this Geelong are rumoured to be offering him $500k and on this board we want a band 2 (end of 1st round draft pick) compo pick for him. Turds don't get that

Is this post aimed at selwood or MaGinnity

why not both

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
**** me you post some stupid s**t at times

He's been poor the last two years no doubt but his ankle injury has contributed to that. Prior to that he played some really good football for us and won a B&F for us in 2012.

To add to this Geelong are rumoured to be offering him $500k and on this board we want a band 2 (end of 1st round draft pick) compo pick for him. Turds don't get that

why not both
Sylvia got pretty close and he was a giant turd

Are you suggesting the VFL won't look after us? :drunk:

An end of 1st round pick for selwood is likely to be around pick 20 thereabouts which isn't unreasonable so the AFL wouldn't be looking after us in that scenario

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
An end of 1st round pick for selwood is likely to be around pick 20 thereabouts which isn't unreasonable so the AFL wouldn't be looking after us in that scenario
I know, I was just making a joke. I think we'll get an end of 1st round pick if he goes, because if he does go it'll be for big money. I do however think he's a shadow of his former self and is unlikely to reach his 2012 form again, and either way he doesn't fit our game style anymore.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Simpson said on selwoods return mid season that he has been severely limited with the amount of kicking he can do while recovering and managing his ankle .
If you are not practicing it you can't improve .
He confidence is shot with his kicking and can't do anything about it .
He doesn't need another surgery just time .
He will be a good fit for Geelong and they will get some good seasons out of him .
If geelongs offer would land us less than a end of first round we match it because second round compo 38-40 in this draft will get us sweet FA

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Simpson said on selwoods return mid season that he has been severely limited with the amount of kicking he can do while recovering and managing his ankle .
He will be a good fit for Geelong and they will get some good seasons out of him .
If geelongs offer would land us less than a end of first round we match it because second round compo 38-40 in this draft will get us sweet FA
I just don't see the point in matching though, I'd rather bring through some of our younger midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see the point in matching though, I'd rather bring through some of our younger midfielders
Matching would be dumb

As good as we've been this year we still need to rejuvenate parts of our list especially when considering the rather small list of players out of contract this year. Also the old mantra of you have to give up something to get something means that a compo pick for Selwood gives us a valuable chip to trade in the pursuit of another player or if there's no suitable trades we have 2 top 20 picks (thereabouts) in the draft to bring in a couple of youngsters

Truth is we haven't missed selwood this year so losing him to free agency wouldn't be the worst thing

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Matching would be dumb

As good as we've been this year we still need to rejuvenate parts of our list especially when considering the rather small list of players out of contract this year. Also the old mantra of you have to give up something to get something means that a compo pick for Selwood gives us a valuable chip to trade in the pursuit of another player or if there's no suitable trades we have 2 top 20 picks (thereabouts) in the draft to bring in a couple of youngsters

Truth is we haven't missed selwood this year so losing him to free agency wouldn't be the worst thing
Couldn't agree more, I will be disappointed if he's on the list next year. I think we already have several young players with higher potential on the list who he'd be taking game/development time from. Not to mention, like you say, the trade chip or young recruit we'd gain by letting him go. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to be here next season.

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Selwood will be much better at Geelong next year, the scar tissue problems he is
having with the ankle will start to settle down, and you will notice a huge difference in his kicking.

We should get a good draft pick for him as well.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Braden Quartermaine does his bit to pump up his tyres;
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...olid-wafl-outing/story-fniv6fhh-1227504245751

"Solid WAFL outing"? Maybe it was bad timing but I happened to flick on 7mate yesterday just as Selwood attempted to burst through CHB, got caught, coughed up a dribbly handball which resulted in a shot at goal for Subiaco.

This bit from the puff piece is a worry,

Selwood, who might need more ankle surgery post-season, said contract negotiations had been shelved until after the season so he could concentrate on his recovery.

More surgery? That'd be 3 on the same ankle right? It's all over for him. He's cooked.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

Sorry mate but kicking a footy is like riding a bike, Scooter can't improve his kicking because he is naturally an average kick, he has no feel to be a good kick, he can practice all he likes but it won't change. There is very little you can do to fix a guys kicking ability once they are about 16 years of age. You can teach them to make better decisions, you can teach them to be more aware but their kicking style is pretty much what it is. Every club has better kicks than others it is just how it is naturally. Scooter has been a great work horse for us and we should not forget that. The game plan now does not suit him and if he feels he is better off elsewhere then that's fine. I wish him well.

Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
Sorry mate but kicking a footy is like riding a bike, Scooter can't improve his kicking because he is naturally an average kick, he has no feel to be a good kick, he can practice all he likes but it won't change. There is very little you can do to fix a guys kicking ability once they are about 16 years of age. You can teach them to make better decisions, you can teach them to be more aware but their kicking style is pretty much what it is. Every club has better kicks than others it is just how it is naturally. Scooter has been a great work horse for us and we should not forget that. The game plan now does not suit him and if he feels he is better off elsewhere then that's fine. I wish him well.
His biggest weakness is not his kicking but his general awareness and poor peripheral vision.

These are essential basic skills in the Simpson game plan.

I wouldn't be too harsh on his game yesterday, the rest of the Geelong team performed badly also. Trying hard to fit in.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I believe Selwood will get better ten fold, just can't see it this year and don't want him killing momentum of the guys who are playing well. Himstaying and hving a pre season wont be the end of the world.

How dd he go in the wafl?

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I believe Selwood will get better ten fold, just can't see it this year and don't want him killing momentum of the guys who are playing well. Himstaying and hving a pre season wont be the end of the world.

How dd he go in the wafl?

He was just ok and did not have a real effect on the game.

There is no place for players who have poor disposal and decision making processes with a game plan that requires quick and precise ball movement. Duggan will be taking his spot next year.

Beauy420

Team Captain
May 10, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United

Could not disagree with this more.

Masten a perfect example of someone who has improved their kicking dramatically while at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back